2024 Hopper 3 EHD maximums?

Strega

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
West Coast
I’m just checking on the current knowledge of what works on a Hopper 3.

Byte Capacity:
The Dish website says up to 7TB is fine, but I see posts from a few years ago saying 2TB was/is still the limit for the hopper 3. Was changed via updates?

Title Capacity:
I see a number of posts about a 1000 (999) title limit. Is that still true? Also, is this a top line/single level limit or all files? For example, if I have 200 episodes of a show, does that count as one title towards this limit or 200?

It looks like self-powered may no longer be required?

According to Dish, 7T is max for a Single drive, BUT multiple drives are limited to 6T Combined (so 2T x 3).
I always recommend bare bones internal Hard Drives (all kinds of sizes) and something like this (powered) which you can swap out dives with:

The only title limit I've ever been aware of is on timers (internal Drive), which can be set to none.
Personally, I would never exceed 1T per drive. Too much lost if it ever crashes.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks!

I’ve been finding and reading more threads. A recent thread said that the 999 limit is on the program tiles, so if you have a bunch of episodes of one show, then those only count as one towards the 999 total. However, I did see another thread were someone ran into the limit on his EHD (could keep adding stuff, but couldn’t see all of what he had added), though given the previous sentence, it seems like it would be hard. I guess he had a lot of small unrelated recordings.

That adapter is interesting, though I must admit I am somewhat skittish about routinely handling drives bare like that. It would be nice for keeping things small though. The only enclosures I can find with power supplies are large enough to help 3.5” drives which seems like a waste if I stuck to smaller (2TB) drives.

It seems like a powered hub with common bus-powered 2.5” drives is another option.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That adapter is interesting, though I must admit I am somewhat skittish about routinely handling drives bare like that. It would be nice for keeping things small though. The only enclosures I can find with power supplies are large enough to help 3.5” drives which seems like a waste if I stuck to smaller (2TB) drives.

It seems like a powered hub with common bus-powered 2.5” drives is another option.

Skiittish, Schmittish! And you read too much! I hot swap bare drives all the time. Not only on Hopper, but with my Macbook Air. They are out in the open, not prone to overheat. A No Brainer IMO.