20in Dish Network Elevation confirmation

That package only comes with a 76cm dish. My recommendations:

You can get a quality 90cm dish with a pll lnbf that many members here recommend for $119 (including shipping) here.

Get an Amiko Mini HD265. Very good receiver with great after purchase support from KE4EST. Currently $87.49 here:

Use the remainder of the $275 to get some quality RG-6 coax and a good meter. I use this one and have had excellent results. :)

Satlink WS-6933 DVB-S2 FTA C&KU Band Digital Satellite Finder Meter

ws-6933-menu-jpg.145461
ws-6933-signal-jpg.145462
ws6933-97w-ku-jpg.145463

Well...I did the elevation check like Titanium said way up above and with the dish perfectly vertical, the elevation scale reads 23-24 degees so not far off.

On that 90cm dish with a pll lnbf that many members here recommend for $119.
I noticed they also sell two for $199.00. Interesting....
Ok on the sat meter. Looks like a good one. I have one of those “meter“ with the needle jobs here.

Rained today so no outside tests and next week we’re back to the stinkin 90’s again here in South Jersey. Have to head down the shore next week, should be cooler on the boardwalks!!
By the way, the boardwalks weren't named because they were made of boards. They were named after a guy named “Boardman” who owned hotels back in the day and was tired of getting sand tracked into his hotels, so he invented the “boardwalk”. They started out being rolled out in Summer and rolled up in Winter.
Ken

Well...I did the elevation check like Titanium said way up above and with the dish perfectly vertical, the elevation scale reads 23-24 degees so not far off.

On that 90cm dish with a pll lnbf that many members here recommend for $119.
I noticed they also sell two for $199.00. Interesting....

That's the bargain pack in case you need two. They also have a six and ten pack listed for bulk buyers. :)
Ok on the sat meter. Looks like a good one. I have one of those “meter“ with the needle jobs here.
Yes, it is pretty nice. It's rechargeable, has a built in flashlight and compass. Flashlight works fine but my compass stuck at bit. No big deal as I already had a decent compass. May or may not come with North America sats pre-programmed. If not, easy enough to add them in. I have one of those needle meters as well. Ok to find out if you are near a sat but it can't give specifics like a meter that has the ability to add transponder info can. I still find it useful though to get in the ballpark, especially for c band.
Rained today so no outside tests and next week we’re back to the stinkin 90’s again here in South Jersey. Have to head down the shore next week, should be cooler on the boardwalks!!
By the way, the boardwalks weren't named because they were made of boards. They were named after a guy named “Boardman” who owned hotels back in the day and was tired of getting sand tracked into his hotels, so he invented the “boardwalk”. They started out being rolled out in Summer and rolled up in Winter.
Ken
I did not know that. Always assumed it was because of what they were made from. :)

That's the bargain pack in case you need two. They also have a six and ten pack listed for bulk buyers. :)

Yes, it is pretty nice. It's rechargeable, has a built in flashlight and compass. Flashlight works fine but my compass stuck at bit. No big deal as I already had a decent compass. May or may not come with North America sats pre-programmed. If not, easy enough to add them in. I have one of those needle meters as well. Ok to find out if you are near a sat but it can't give specifics like a meter that has the ability to add transponder info can. I still find it useful though to get in the ballpark, especially for c band.

I did not know that. Always assumed it was because of what they were made from. :)
If you want to read a reall good book on the Jersey shore, grab “Down The Jersey Shore”. Don’t remember the author but I think it’s the only title. I’ve read numerous books on NJ.
Not to turn this into a book club forum, however, if you like non-fiction, read Eric Larson. Terrific non-fiction reading. Think I read all his books by now. Thunderstruck, Dead Wake, Devil in the White City, Isaac’s Storm and more.......
Ken

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thought a picture of a 76 CM dish next to a Dish Network might help with your decision on what to start with. Just happen to have a 76 CM (think it's a Winegard) next to an unused Dish 500 (21x22.5 inches) Something I find interesting is the 76CM is in use and locked on 117W for Orby TV. I think the Dish 500 was on 110/119 but check out the elevation and azimuth - the Dish 500 looks like it is pointing much higher and much more south.

Anyhow I have had very good success with the smaller FTA dishes. If you really want to try and keep things on the smaller side the 76CM may be a good choice. Can be bought for $60 or so. My take on the size if you are going to use it fixed for SD and feed scans the 76CM can work great. If you think you might want to install a motor then go bigger. The one thing I'm not sure on if you will be able to use the 76CM for HD. Might have to have more margin for HD S2.

Hope this helps, DC

Attachments

• Winegard76Dish500.jpg
    Winegard76Dish500.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 148
Thought a picture of a 76 CM dish next to a Dish Network might help with your decision on what to start with. Just happen to have a 76 CM (think it's a Winegard) next to an unused Dish 500 (21x22.5 inches) Something I find interesting is the 76CM is in use and locked on 117W for Orby TV. I think the Dish 500 was on 110/119 but check out the elevation and azimuth - the Dish 500 looks like it is pointing much higher and much more south.

Anyhow I have had very good success with the smaller FTA dishes. If you really want to try and keep things on the smaller side the 76CM may be a good choice. Can be bought for $60 or so. My take on the size if you are going to use it fixed for SD and feed scans the 76CM can work great. If you think you might want to install a motor then go bigger. The one thing I'm not sure on if you will be able to use the 76CM for HD. Might have to have more margin for HD S2.

Hope this helps, DC
Thanks Charlie....yeah definitely a size difference as well as performance I’m sure. I’ll just play around with this small dish to see what happens. Cant get to carried away in this +55 HOA community.......By the way......do you have any experience with those “flat” cables that go “under” the window and you close the window on it??
Ken

By the way......do you have any experience with those “flat” cables that go “under” the window and you close the window on it??
Ken
I don't know what the current state of these are but there were issues in the past with fires when they carried too much current and were damaged. If you go that route make sure you get a high quality one. ;)

Flat cable wire caused fire

I don't know what the current state of these are but there were issues in the past with fires when they carried too much current and were damaged. If you go that route make sure you get a high quality one. ;)

Flat cable wire caused fire
I can see where to much current could be an issue if you're using.....say.....a motor but an LNA by it self basically draws an infinitesimal amount current. Thanks for that tip!!!
Ken

Thanks Charlie....yeah definitely a size difference as well as performance I’m sure. I’ll just play around with this small dish to see what happens. Cant get to carried away in this +55 HOA community.......By the way......do you have any experience with those “flat” cables that go “under” the window and you close the window on it??
Ken
No I have not used the any flat cables. I would think if you can match the ohm (75 not 50 like ham radio) (double check as I'm going by faded memory) it should work fine. I have an old block house and a $200 1/2 inch hammer drill. Takes about 5 seconds to drill for the round cable. If you have a newer house and don't want to punch some holes another thing to look at might be an outdoor power outlet. Often outlets are mounted back to back so there might be one on the inside. If this is the case you should be able to figure out a way to pass a cable without drilling.

Ken, I use three of those inexpensive flat coaxial cables for my window to get RG-6 into the house. One is for my Ku motorized dish, one for a Ku fixed dish, one for my OTA antenna. I've never had an issue with them. The motorized system has 200+ feet of RG-6. I know that is my limit of cable since even adding a diseqc switch puts me into unreliable operation. The horizontal (higher DC voltage required) polarization transponders stop working reliably with a diseqc switch added.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Ken, I use three of those inexpensive flat coaxial cables for my window to get RG-6 into the house. One is for my Ku motorized dish, one for a Ku fixed dish, one for my OTA antenna. I've never had an issue with them. The motorized system has 200+ feet of RG-6. I know that is my limit of cable since even adding a diseqc switch puts me into unreliable operation. The horizontal (higher DC voltage required) polarization transponders stop working reliably with a diseqc switch added.

Thanks for the info on the flat cable.......!!

A question on “skew”........Is is necessary to set the skew if you’re using a single LNA and only looking for one satellite??
Thanks, (again) Ken

You always must skew an LNB to best receive a signal from a linear transponder. Either you do it on a fixed dish, or a motor does it on a motorized system. The purpose of skewing is to orient the little dipole antenna in the LNB to receive the maximum signal strengrh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts