Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH will be making some big changes on August 1st and 21 markets will be only available on the Eastern Arc on MPEG 4 format only.

Those in the DMA's will need to be repointed or have their equipment reconfigured by August 1st or they will lose their locals.

The 21 DMA's are as follows:

Albany NY
Boston MA
Portland - Auburn
Burlington
Northeast Portland - Auburn
Portland/Auburn ME
Buffalo, NY
Burlington, VT / Plattsbrg NY
Tallahassee FL / Thomsonvile GA
Lansing MI
Presque Isle, Me
Wheeling WV / Stubenville OH
Jacksonville FL / Brunswick GA
Chattanooga, TN
Rockford IL
Springfield MO
Evansville, IN
Panama City FL
Madison WI
Quincy IL / Hannibal MO
Jackson MS

I am assuming that DISH will start contacting customers who will need to be upgraded or repointed as we get closer to the August 1st deadline.

DO NOT CONTACT DISH OR DIRT ABOUT THIS AT THIS TIME AS THEY WILL HAVE NO INFORMATION AVAILABLE.

couple big markets in that list

Looking at some of the midwest markets HD locals are on 61.5 but SD is on 110 so it makes sense to move them over.

Reactions: ohioankev
So if I get my locals via a wing dish on the Western arc what will this mean for me? My locals are out of Springfield Mo.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

So if I get my locals via a wing dish on the Western arc what will this mean for me? My locals are out of Springfield Mo.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
It means your locals are moving to eastern arc only. You will need a dish change, depending on what satellites you are looking at and where they actually put your locals.

I wonder if this is the start of them eventually replacing all MPEG2 equipment? Slowly but surely.

I think what it's for, is to free up some (much needed) HD bandwidth on WA, due to wasting bandwidth of duplicating (HD) locals on BOTH arcs.
Also, by moving to EA, they can (also) shut off any SD local feeds of these DMA's on WA, which will also free up more bandwidth.
While I'm assuming this affects mostly spotbeams, maybe they will end up repurposing those spotbeams x-ponders, into CONUS ones...which would then enable them to add more national HD channels.

Reactions: Rolling Joe
I think what it's for, is to free up some (much needed) HD bandwidth on WA, due to wasting bandwidth of duplicating (HD) locals on BOTH arcs.
Also, by moving to EA, they can (also) shut off any SD local feeds of these DMA's on WA, which will also free up more bandwidth.
While I'm assuming this affects mostly spotbeams, maybe they will end up repurposing those spotbeams x-ponders, into CONUS ones...which would then enable them to add more national HD channels.
Also, could have something to do with the launch of EchoStar 18 at 110W, like you say allowing more free space at 110/119 also removing duplication.

Is the wing dish aimed at 61.5 ?
Yes. I have AEP on Eastern Arc, but the wing dish for my locals only. I'm trying to figure out if I'll even need to do anything or have anything done at all, or if (since I have a western arc setup already for everything else) it will be a seamless transition.

From an RV viewpoint this hurts. Our roof dish can only point to the WA. When we are in the East, we just dealt with SD channels.

I live in Boston, have international channels (sat 118), use two 512 and one 311k.
My question I have to use two dish?
My receivers are purchased, dish will replace purchased or rented HD receivers ?

When they undid the multitude of mixed arc installs some time back, they moved those of us in the Tampa market to western arc so I'd think that is likely the preferred arc..

Correct, just hope they remember that! There was a chart floating around that I saved but can't find that years ago and would be way out of date now showed the DISH preferred installs (ARC) and it actually changed to WA for Tampa.

I live in Boston, have international channels (sat 118), use two 512 and one 311k.
My question I have to use two dish?
My receivers are purchased, dish will replace purchased or rented HD receivers ?

Yes you will need two dishes. You are not saving any money by having your own receivers so you can get replacement ones as needed from DISH. No doubt they will provide them because they are making you switch.

Reactions: benny2b
Yes you will need two dishes. You are not saving any money by having your own receivers so you can get replacement ones as needed from DISH. No doubt they will provide them because they are making you switch.
They will likely be leased as well. They'll allow you to keep the SD receivers, but then tell you not to sell them and offer you leased equipment... That's my guess.

They will likely be leased as well. They'll allow you to keep the SD receivers, but then tell you not to sell them and offer you leased equipment... That's my guess.
Yes that is what I was trying to say lol. I didn't mean to infer he would get receivers that he would own, but I wanted to avoid the use of the word "lease" since there is no charge, but that is what will likely happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)