211/211k - Can Either Connect to SD Set? Both Have Built-In OTA?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I'm going through an installation hassle right-now - and DISH is the problem, not the tech.

But my simple question is this - I know a 211 can be connected via coax to a TV set and it also has built-in OTA? Is the 211k the same in this regard?

Thanks,
Eric

Hate to make this difficult but, NO. The 211K does not have a built in OTA adapter but a module is available to plug in to make it OTA. But they can be connected to an SD set no problem.

Maybe they changed the specs? The DISH link I used also says module needed. (Left arrow)

From Dish manual pg 95 chapter 11CONNECTING AN OVER-THE-AIR ANTENNA If you want to receive digital channels from an over-the-air antenna in addition to your dishantenna programming, connect the over-the-air antenna to your dish antenna.

• The OVER-THE-AIR ANTENNA IN connection on your receiver's back panel can be usedto receive and view programming on the TV from an over-the-air antenna.
  • Connect a VHF/UHF over-the-air antenna to the OVER-THE-AIR ANTENNA IN port. Peeloff the black sticker (found at the beginning of this User’s Guide) and affix it to thecable close to where it connects to the back of the receiver.
  • You can add local over-the-air channels to the receiver’s channels lists and assignthem network affiliations. Once you have done this, you can access the channels viathe Program Guide or the Browse Banner similar to accessing satellite channels.
    Note: The type of antenna required depends on the channels used by, and the locationsof, the local broadcasters for your area. Visit www.antennaweb.org or contact aprofessional installer to help you select a suitable antenna.
    Make sure to follow the antenna installation instructions correctly. Ground thedish antenna per the National Electrical Code (NEC) and any state and localelectrical codes.
    The audio/video quality on local over-the-air channels depends on the distanceand terrain between the broadcast station and your home, and on theplacement and quality of the over-the-air TV antenna you use. If you havequestions about over-the-air channels, contact the broadcaster, not DISHNetwork.
FWIW Don

I must say, all over the internet I can find posts and descriptions including the DISH site that say someone added an OTA module etc.. BUT also lots of posts indicating it came with the OTA module. Brings me back to possibly the specs changed at some point?

Hate to make this difficult but, NO. The 211K does not have a built in OTA adapter but a module is available to plug in to make it OTA. But they can be connected to an SD set no problem.

The 211k has a built-in OTA tuner. I have one and the OTA tuner was put in it at the factory!

I can't disagree! But looking at my two links you can see why it certainly appears it either didn't or at one time did not......

I must say, all over the internet I can find posts and descriptions including the DISH site that say someone added an OTA module etc.. BUT also lots of posts indicating it came with the OTA module. Brings me back to possibly the specs changed at some point?
I think you are confusing the 211K with the 222K that does require the slide-in module, OR the 211Z that requires OTA USB dongle. And yes, some Dish materials help confuse the matter.

But those two links in my post (And more that I found) from the Dish Network site and Solid Signal clearly say 211K. But certainly now it seems it comes with it. I can see how sometimes a CSR might get it wrong! lol.

I have a friend who has 2-211s and 1-211k. All three have built in OTA tuners. One of his 211s is from original stock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)