211/411

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
How old are 211/411 stb's Dish is doing an install for me on Sunday and this was the equipment that is listed on the order form that was e-mailed to me. This is for an Eastern Arc install---upsides, downsides?

id refuse 411 and get 2 211's but thats me
the 411 was replaced by the 211 the advantage of 211 is ethernet connection no ethernet connection on 411

They have been about about 3 years now. The 211 is a solid receiver if you don't want DVR. However if I were you I would go for the 722. If you've never had a dvr you won't want to ever go without one again.

You'all know the usual CSR route, I told them this what I needed for 4 HDTV's, the other option was 3 HD boxes and one SD, I think that they mentioned 1 722 for a 50 dollar upgrade fee, as it stands it 2-211 and 2-411 but I am sure that there is still time to deal

Any responces to my request about the upside and the down side of these boxes or is no one using them, don't want too get stuck with equipment that people have had problems with, when there may be better out there

Branchbouncer the first thing you need clear is you don't own the boxes DISH does, so they don't care about newness. If the box siuts your needs it is the correct lease for you.
Needing 3 HDTV receivers leaves you with little choice 2 -211s and a 622/722 DVR or 4 211's because you need MPEG 4 for Eastern arc. The 411 dosen't exist it was replaced by the 211 before it even got to the marketplace. If offered to you refuse it.

The 4 211's (or 411's) make an interesting solution, because for one one-time $40 fee, you can activate the DVR capability on all of those receivers. (Be forewarned that the 411-activations aren't happening yet.) All other internal-disk Dish HD DVRs comes encumbered with a DVR fee per receiver per month in perpetuity.

The 411 dosen't exist it was replaced by the 211 before it even got to the marketplace.

A bunch of us have 411s. They work fine unless you really need the ethernet connection. And as mentioned, you cannot get the EHD feature turned on yet which you can on the 211.

I have a 211 and a 411 and I love them! They are a very stable box, never have problems with locking up or doing weird things. I think the DVR option on the 211 is unbeatable...a one-time $40 fee and you have DVR on all your 211's in the house with no monthly fee.(of course, external hard drive required) The one drawback to the 211 DVR is no dual-tuner. If you have an OTA antenna hooked up to the box, you can view a local and record something off Dish at the same time or vice versa. But you can not watch a Dish program, say ESPN, and also be recording on another Dish channel at the same time. If that will be an issue for you, then I'd say upgrade to an actual DVR box...if you just want to be able to record stuff when you're not home, the 211 is great. Another caveat with the 211...be sure you hook it up with an HDMI cable while the Dish installer is at your house. Some of them have problems with the HDMI connection not working...that was what happened in my case, and the retailer gave me another one that worked...so save yourself some hassle and check it out while they are at your house.(hdmi on my 411 has worked perfectly). So, those are my pro's/con's...it all depends on what you're looking for, but personally, I would highly recommend both models.

Thanks chikagobnd; good detail, yeah I have 4 DVR's from Comcast at the moment and the one that has any recording on it is the teenagers in the basement, don't have a whole lot of TV time myself these days, but as you stated it is a nice option. I also like the part about you saying that you haven't had any real trouble with the boxes, all too often thats seems to be all that you hear about is equipment problems. Thanks for the heads up on the HDMI connection.

Thanks chikagobnd; good detail, yeah I have 4 DVR's from Comcast at the moment and the one that has any recording on it is the teenagers in the basement, don't have a whole lot of TV time myself these days, but as you stated it is a nice option. I also like the part about you saying that you haven't had any real trouble with the boxes, all too often thats seems to be all that you hear about is equipment problems. Thanks for the heads up on the HDMI connection.

No problem...let us know how everything turns out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)