211 a DVR?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I was under the impression that the 211 was a single tuner HD DVR, and the 622 is the dual tuner DVR. Yesterday it was pointed out to me that the 211 is not a DVR, just an MPEG-4 HD reciever. Is this true? If it is, does E* have an MPEG-4 single tuner HD DVR?

One more question, what is the difference between the 211, 222, and 411?

One more question. I now pay $5 a month for my 942 DVR fee. When I upgrade to the 622, will I have to pay a $5 lease fee, plus a $5 DVR fee, or will it all be included in one $5 payment?

What do you people think of purchasing the 622? I would hate to purchase, then have something else better come out in 6 months, like what happened with the 921.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Same boat here. First, would you sell your home to live in a rented one just cause it has better features? Some do this, i have neighbors who just pay the interest and know the house will belong to the bank when they retire :)

Second, just like you said, we dont know how good of a receiver this is. The best thing to do IMHO is to sit tight and read the beta testers' reviews here on this site and dbstalk to learn whether it a worthwhile investment. You read about the catastrophic failure of the 211 (or 411 sry cant recall) HDMI output. Thats what happens when you outsource to our companeros on the Yucatan peninsula. You get variable results.

Sit tight and read. You dont want another jalope. By the time you will be ready to purchase there will be plenty on ebay to chose from.

BTW love the 942. It is a revelation after the stoning i took from getting an 811. Both came off ebay btw.

Last edited:
mr_snerdly said:
One more question, what is the difference between the 211, 222, and 411?

First off...None of the ones you listed there are DVRs.

The 211 and 411 are both MPEG4-capable single-tuner HD receivers. The difference is the 211 has an ethernet port "for future use" and the 411 does not. Otherwise identical, I believe.

Lastly the 222 is a dual-tuner MPEG4-capable HD receiver. It hasnt been released yet.

Last edited:
mr_snerdly said:
One more question. I now pay $5 a month for my 942 DVR fee. When I upgrade to the 622, will I have to pay a $5 lease fee, plus a $5 DVR fee, or will it all be included in one $5 payment?

What do you people think of purchasing the 622? I would hate to purchase, then have something else better come out in 6 months, like what happened with the 921.

Thanks for your help everyone.[/QUOTE
]the dvr fee goes to $6 on the receiver..unless you get the HD Gold pack..then Dish waives the fee.

[/QUOTE
]the dvr fee goes to $6 on the receiver..unless you get the HD Gold pack..then Dish waives the fee.[/QUOTE]

So if I subscribe to the HD Gold Pack, E* will waive the $6 DVR fee, will I still ahve to pay to lease the DVR?

The DVR fee is the same for all DVR receviers that are charged the fee (510,522,622,625,921,942)

It's waived on Platinum and everything pack, like above poster said.

And yes when you exchange your 942 for a 622 you'll have to pay the $6 lease fee as well, no waiving on that one.

I copied this from another post.

SD Receiver Lease Fee $5
HD Receiver Lease Fee $6 (211,411,622)

HD Enabling Fee $6 (charged for each 411,211,622;waived if subscribed to a DishHD package or if you call dish to disable HD functionality)

Service Access Fee $6 (waived for all Qualified programming packages, Family, AT, Latino, DishHD, Great Wall)

Dual Tuner Fee $5 (waived for each dual Tuner receiver continuosly connected to a phone line)

DishPlayer DVR Fee $5.98 (charged for DVRs 510,522,622,625,921,942; waived if subbed to AEP, HD Platinum, or Latino EP)

Therefore, if I were to purchase a 622, would I be charged a crappy $5 Charlie is Screwing You fee? I understand that the Dual Tuner fee is waved if I hook it up to a phone line, but I still have to pay $6 for the lease, what is DishPlayer DVR?
It would be nice if E* wouldn't charge a fee to people who own their recievers, but I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they do.
Thanks for the help as alwyas...

if you purchase the receiver you dont pay the lease fee.
But then you fall into the additional receiver category, if you keep the 942. that's 4.99 for each SD receiver fee ,the 942 as it's considered a SD receiver. HD receivers are the VIP models (211, 411, 622) and they are $6 dollars
Of course i could be all wet on this. But that's my understanding anyway.

Last edited:
What are you going to do gbjbany? Are you going to lease the 622, or buy. If I bought, I would give the 942 back to E*. In that case, I would pay no monthy fees for the 622 as I would own it?

Then again, $6 a month is worth it if the 622 goes bad on me. If I own it and somehting goes wrong, I am screwed.

lease a 622 and keep the 942. I will retire my old 508. I wil lwait til my locals (sacramento) are in HD or the 299 offers expires, whichever is sooner.

I believe that is correct and if you wait till april 1 you will only have to pay $99 when you return teh 942 andthat is a really good deal in my mind. Others disagree but i see technology products as having a very short shelf life.

And the rest of your analysis is exactly why, for me 299 for a dual tuner is great deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts