211 Ota

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
211 OTA won't lock

I am having a problem with just one of my ota channels on my 211. I get the other 3 fine but my FOX station shows 80% on the local channels screen but will not lock. I have a hd tuner on my tv and it comes in fine on it, so it must be something with the tuner in the 211. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, every once in a while the picture on the 211 gets real jumpy. It happens on both hd and sd channels. I never noticed it on my 811.

Last edited:
Souds like multipath problems. Is the antenna outside and have a good path to the transmitters.

I had this problem until I took the antenna out of the attic. When in the attic signal levels would jump around like crazy. When I put it above the roof all channels locked on all receivers and signal levels were steady. I even got rid of the amp. One antenna feeding all the receivers listed below.

Yes, it's outside. It is a huge antenna mounted on a tall tower. I've even tried pointing the antenna straight at the station (close to 90% signal) and it still won't lock. Like I said, the 811 worked fine and the tuner on my tv locks it fine.

Did you Scana Analog as well as digital. I have a Samsung OTA HD box and could not pick up my local in HD until I did the scan in Analog. Just a thought.

My FOX station did the exact same thing on the exact same day. Just leave all your settings alone! The channel will come back with in 24 hours!! I too thought it was a multipath issue - re-aimed antenna, checked cables, etc. I spent about 4 hours trying to troubleshoot the problem! I have a 921 with the locals and I never lost FOX on that machine, only on the 211 so I know my hook up was ok. I spoke with several friends that have the OTA locals and they lost the FOX ota as well on the 211's and 942's, but not on the 921's.. Go figure?????

gross67 said:
Did you Scana Analog as well as digital. I have a Samsung OTA HD box and could not pick up my local in HD until I did the scan in Analog. Just a thought.
On the 211 you cannot scan analog only Digital. They have not decided if they will activate this.
All of my locals are coming in fine. Try rescanning your locals, and see if it fixes it.
It could also be an issue with you local fox station. During the football playoffs my CBS station went out, it was a problem from the station and it came back after about 20 minutes. All other local Digitals were fine.

I still have not gotten my ota FOX on the 211. I've tried scanning over and over. Even with 80% signal, it won't lock. Last night though I did pick up FOX and NBC HD from Tampa Bay (close to 3 hours away), so I got to watch the Olympics opening ceremony in HD. I just hope it wasn't some freak atmospheric thing and that I'll still be able to get them.

Another question while I'm here. How does the 211 get the guide info for local OTA? I have locals through E* but only abc, cbs, fox, and pbs. Last night on those stations out of Tampa (FOX, NBC, and WB, CBS, ABC from Orlando) they all had guide info even though I don't get those channels through E*. I don't even get a WB at all. I thought that I would only be able to get the guide info for my subscribed locals.

bowens said:
I am having a problem with just one of my ota channels on my 211. I get the other 3 fine but my FOX station shows 80% on the local channels screen but will not lock. I have a hd tuner on my tv and it comes in fine on it, so it must be something with the tuner in the 211. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, every once in a while the picture on the 211 gets real jumpy. It happens on both hd and sd channels. I never noticed it on my 811.
Bowens,

My 211 did exactly the same thing the day I installed it. One of the OTA showed a strong signal, but it would not lock.
A hard reset cured it. After the reset it locked in the add DT and has been fine ever since.

Thanks, I'll try that. But it's not really a big deal because I can get it with the tuner on my tv. Also, it's not even an hd channel so it doesn't look much better than my local FOX from E*.

Ok, I tried a hard reset. Still nothing on my Fox channel. I don't understand. Could it be something with the PSIP (I think that's what it's called) data? I have heard of people having problems like that before.