211 to 622 upgrade?

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I have now a VIP 211 but I was thinking I might want to get the 622 and I have a couple of questions.

I lease the 211 can I upgrade with out penalty? (for breaking the contract)

I have one coax coming into the house from the dishes. Is this enough to allow me to watch one thing and record another?

I don't care about having two separate tuners as it's only the wife and I. What I do now is when we go to bed I leave the 211 on and shut off the downstairs TV. I have the upstairs TV plugged into the 75 ohm output (modulated). So we select the program before we go upstairs. Sometime during the night the 211 shuts itself off. We have a "sleep" timer on the upstairs TV that shuts it off

What's Dish Network charge to buy a 622?

I didn't get a 622 to begin with as I have a separate DVR but it only has s-video or firewire or composite inputs

HI Greg,

It is highly unlikely that Dish would let you upgrade your 211 to a 622. They will allow one upgrade per year.

As for 1 coax coming in, it will depend on your setup. Dish charges 699 to purchase a 622.

Scott

Greg,

I upgraded an 811 to a 211 on January 20th. I received and installed the 211 on the 30th. On Feb 13th I upgraded to the 622 which will be my first DVR. It cost me the $50 lease upgrade fee. My install date is 3/28 and the receiver was supposed to be shipped to me today. I already upgraded the dish array so that I can feed the single coax to the separator that comes with the 622.

When I changed from the 811 to the 211 I gave up UHF remote control and an extra set of composite video and analog audio outputs to feed the bedroom TVs using a modulator.

I had to buy a video distribution amplifier and Dish Network's IR to UHF Pro upgrade kit to get back the UHF remote control from the bedrooms. So when the 622 arrives, I'll be unloading the distribution amplifier and remote upgrade kit on ebay. The experiment cost me but I think I'll be happy with my first DVR.

Teachsac
Yep, you're right.

I have to wait 11 months to go to the 622 :(
Dish wants $798 to buy the 622 (with install)
Apparently they have a "spliter" which goes in back of the receiver, so I only have to have one cable coming in.

After reading a bit about the 622, I think it might be wiser to lease that one anyway. So if it breaks, it's their problem.

Guess I'll wait the 11 months and see what happens.

The tech I talked to did not know of 129 reception problems :shocked and had no info about new birds or moving any channels to any new locations.

"Apparently they have a "spliter" which goes in back of the receiver"

With a DPP44 switch or DPP Twin you can use a DPP separator to feed dual tuners using a single cable run.

"The tech I talked to did not know of 129 reception problems"

They will never admit there is a problem with 129 in the West Coast. To them it's all working out great for us. They probably didn't expect this much rain in the West Coast and figure that the problem will go unnoticed. Yeah right!

After K4LK's post I called back and talked to a "programming" sales lady. Apparently there is not a problem with upgrading to the 622. I just had to pay $300. They are going to ship out the 622 and I'll return the 211 in the same box.

Is the "DPP44 switch or DPP Twin you can use a DPP separator" automatically included with the 622? Or do I need to call them back and remind them to send it?

A lot of people have been complaining about not getting the DPP44 switch. Apparently there is a shortage of these switches and they are installing them only if you need 4 satellite locations.

Wouldn't hurt to call and ask but I believe you have a DPP Twin, right? So you can feed the 622 receiver and a second receiver off the DPP Twin. How many receivers do you have?

Man I wish I would called and asked for the 622. I just got a 211 in early Feb. but now we want a DVR for the living room too. I bought a 625 last night off eBay. Oh well. Should've waited a few more days.

HI Greg,

That's unusual, but very good news. You will enjoy the DVR function. They should heve set you up with an install date when you called. They will bring the necessary switches. It doesn't sound like you would need a DPP44. You might already have a DPP twin. You can find out by going to the menu 6-1-1. It will tell you what switch you have.

Scott

Greg Mueller said:
K4LK
So they let you upgrade within the first year? Or was it an add on?

When I asked for the 211, I think the tech support lady treated it like a defective replacement. The day after I activated the 211, I got an automated voice message that said "Hope your problems are resolved ... just a reminder, you need to return the faulty receiver within 15 days". The 811 I sent back was fully functional.

Greg Mueller said:
After K4LK's post I called back and talked to a "programming" sales lady. Apparently there is not a problem with upgrading to the 622. I just had to pay $300. They are going to ship out the 622 and I'll return the 211 in the same box.

Is the "DPP44 switch or DPP Twin you can use a DPP separator" automatically included with the 622? Or do I need to call them back and remind them to send it?

I got the empty box about 2 weeks ago. I told a tech guy that I'll have the box that the 622 comes in to return the 211 but they sent it anyway. :confused:

The separator is included with the 622. I swapped out my DP twin for a DPP twin so I don't have to wait for the install.

Last edited:
I walked out and looked and the 110-119 LNB is a DPP and the 129 LNB is a DP.
I'll only have the 622 receiver when it gets here (one receiver)

Well I got an empty box today. I guess that's a good thing?
It's amazing how little people who work at Dish Network know about the product and whats going on.

Today I caught two bogus charges. One for a second receiver (I only have one) and a charge for a warranty on a leased receiver.

Boy you've got to stay right on these guys

I signed up for Dish on Feb 2. At that time I got (2) 411 receivers. Two weeks later I up graded one of the 411s to a 622. I lost the $50 upgrade fee I had paid for the 411 and had to pay $299 for the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts