211K trying to record

Bobkatz

Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
NY
Recently Dish tect came & replaced my 301 with 211k. Which I had for 12 years.

With the 301 receiver I had no problem recording to my Magnavox DVD recorder but now it won't work unless I leave the TV on & it records OK.

I called Dish & spoke with a tect, he said that U can't record with the 211k receiver. I asked if I could use a separate hard drive hooked up through the usb connection, he said it won't work!

I read somewhere online that it would work if it had it's own power supply, & call Dish for one time $40 fee.
What is the answer?

Yup; the one-time $40 fee per account was correct. Note that the external disk is encrypted, so you would only be able to play back recordings made on your 211z or another in the series (411,211,211k).

May be confusing two different things here. You had been using a DVD to record output from the 301. Is that what you still want to do?

Adding an external hard drive and using the 211K as a DVR works very well, but I don't know about using your DVD.

May be confusing two different things here. You had been using a DVD to record output from the 301. Is that what you still want to do?

Adding an external hard drive and using the 211K as a DVR works very well, but I don't know about using your DVD.

Yes, originally!

Actually I can record using my recorder with 211K receiver but only if the TV in on! Turn TV off & it won't work! I tried explaining that to the Dish tect over the phone but he couldn't believe it! I hate to leave TV on all the time, especially when we're not home!

Yes I have a HDMI hooked from receiver to TV! I have RCA red, white & yellow hooked to recorder.

You know, I think the receiver detects when the TV is off and just quits sending the video signal. I have a 211K also. When I turn my TV off and then back on, it takes a few seconds for the picture to come back, even though the TV is ready. It shows the Dish receiver standby screen at first. However, if I'm viewing a different input, like DVD or OTA, the picture is instant as soon as the TV is ready.

Yes I have a HDMI hooked from receiver to TV! I have RCA red, white & yellow hooked to recorder.
It appears to me to be a bug in Dish's software. If the box can't get a valid handshake from the TV (a copy protection issue), the box basically shuts down all video. But the software should NEVER shut down the standard definition outputs. It logically should always allow you to do what you are trying to do.

Will it record if you unplug the HDMI cable?

Reactions: TheKrell
Personally, I would spend the $40 and use an external hard drive. Many benefits to that. You can set and view recordings right from the 211. If OTA is available to you, you can also watch OTA while recording Sat or vice-versa. You can also record from OTA and SAT at the same time.

Reactions: Mr Tony
It appears to me to be a bug in Dish's software. If the box can't get a valid handshake from the TV (a copy protection issue), the box basically shuts down all video. But the software should NEVER shut down the standard definition outputs. It logically should always allow you to do what you are trying to do.

Will it record if you unplug the HDMI cable?
Not sure about that. I think there's an option to shut down even analog when no handshake- and content owners are pushing its use.

Anyone know when the sunset is for analog outputs, from BDs and elsewhere?

This is what I get on recorder when trying to record anything, with TV off!

Attachments

• DVD Error.jpg
    DVD Error.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 207
You could try to connect to your TV with component cables (red, green, blue) instead of HDMI. You would also need to run red and white audio to the TV. I think that will accomplish your desired result.

Reactions: Stormy_2021
You could try to connect to your TV with component cables (red, green, blue) instead of HDMI. You would also need to run red and white audio to the TV. I think that will accomplish your desired result.
What difference does it make what is connected to TV when it's OFF!