211k with 1000.2 -- no signal

rufwork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Southeast US
I blew this afternoon trying to hook a new 211k up to a 1000.2 dish. I didn't have any luck getting a sniff of a signal. I did hook up DirecTV by myself years ago, so hopefully this isn't complete incompetence.

A few quick questions, if you don't mind.

1.) I've hooked up a wire to the left most input, input #1. I believe that's for satellite 119. I'm hooking that directly to the 211k. I'm using an integrated switch, afaict. Is that the right thing to do? (I've searched this, and everyone appears to say yes. Still figured it was worth asking.)

2.) My 211k doesn't have an option for pointing an 1000.2. It has 500, 300, and Super. The 500 seemed to be closest for A,E,S, so I left it on that. This issue has been posted on another forum at abadss. Though there's no clear answer, it seemed to work fine for that poster.

3.) I know I'm supposed to use a RG-6 cable. I think I am -- the cable says CATV and later says Category 6. Even so, I believe the worst that'll happen is a signal degradation, correct?

I'm not getting any signal whatsoever. I've used the manual for AES for zip 29XXX and I've also gone to dishpointer.com and used those values, which are just ever so slightly different. I also played around with the dish a bit just in case. Nothing.

Any tips? Line of sight in my preferred install location was touchy with trees, but then I ran an extension line (and a monitor and my 211k -- the neighbors driving by were confused!) out to a place on my lot where there's nothing, and I still got bumpkiss.

Thanks in advance. I'll probably cave and get a professional install on top of my house to shoot over the trees, but was surprised I got *nothing*, not even a crappy signal. If there's something I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks!

You don't need a switch if you are just using a 211k. Just run a line straight from the dish to you 211k. The 1000.2 basically has a DPP 33 switch built in. That could be why nothing is working since you have another switch installed.

You may already know this, but it's worth mentioning. Be sure your mast is plumb and level. If its not, you'll have a tough time finding signal. I think at dishpointer, you can see if there are obstructions to your preferred site. You don't need a switch with the 1000.2, like the previous poster stated, just run a line to the 211k and find signal. Try hooking up to input 2 on the LNB, it's possible that the 1 port is bad, it's worth a try

You may already know this, but it's worth mentioning. Be sure your mast is plumb and level. If its not, you'll have a tough time finding signal. I think at dishpointer, you can see if there are obstructions to your preferred site. You don't need a switch with the 1000.2, like the previous poster stated, just run a line to the 211k and find signal. Try hooking up to input 2 on the LNB, it's possible that the 1 port is bad, it's worth a try

Yep, I read that I don't need a switch b/c the 1000.2 has an "integrated switch", but whatever's the right way to say that I have a wire going straight from the LNB to the 211k is what I'm doing.

I won't swear it's plumb (I just dropped my compass from it to check), but I've done it every bit as well as I did for DirecTV a few years back. I would have assumed I would have gotten at least a poor signal even if I was off a degree or two, not no signal at all. I'll try input 2 and double check my plumb-ness.

Thanks.

A new 211 will not show any signal on a 1k.2 dish untill a recognized switch is saved into the memory of the receiver, it can be seen on the installation sumary page, to solve your problem, you need a signal meter. An inexpensive analog model will work. Running and saving a check switch test on an already peaked dish will work too. Using only a compass is only accurate if your skew is 90

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)