222/222K News

I don't know what people are talking about, but the DVR fee went from $6 to $7 in Feb 2013...that's less than 2 years ago. My bills prove it.

It really hasn't been as long as I thought. Sure feels like a long time ago though. At one point it was $6 and before that they had it priced at $5.98.

You might be right about it being 2013. I thought it was pre price freeze. Not post. But that's a possibility

I have absolutely no idea what happens next, but for me, common sense says that the 622/722/722k like could suffer the same fate at some point, with them pushing multiple 612 receivers as a replacement, but practically, they'll push the Hopper/Joey system.
Multiple receivers could look like as much like a new installation as it does an upgrade (except for the antenna part). I agree with Sherrman about having to make new home runs. The H/J could easily drop in without having to go through all the hair (unless the customer somehow "extended" the distribution network).

The biggest thing everyone needs to think about is the amount of Dish customers that have at least one receiver mirrored. I'm assuming it's a decent amount, especially our customers. Have any of you tried mirroring a 211z receiver? It's a huge pain. You have to use an RF modulator since it doesn't have a coax out, this isn't a huge deal but still extra work and cost to the customer. Here's the kicker though, there are no longer any Dish UHF Remote kits so the customer has to purchase a third party product in order to make a Dish remote work which costs the customer even more money.

Reactions: TheKrell
The 722k with OTA module gives you OTA channels on TV1 and TV2. If only having HD on both TVs was the concern then having two 211 receivers would be perfect.

While the 722k does provide OTA to both TV1 and TV2, the 722 (non-K) only outputs OTA to TV1 - though I cannot remember if the 722 (non-k) has a built-in OTA module or requires the optional one. I ran into this when I upgraded from a 625 to the 722k around 2009 - the installer brought a 722 (non-k) and argued with me that it's OTA capability was the same as the 722k. So, I told him go ahead and hook-up the 722 and we'll see. Sure enough, he went to TV2 and saw the OTA options grayed-out - he made it right and got me a 722k.

Eric

While the 722k does provide OTA to both TV1 and TV2, the 722 (non-K) only outputs OTA to TV1 - though I cannot remember if the 722 (non-k) has a built-in OTA module or requires the optional one. I ran into this when I upgraded from a 625 to the 722k around 2009 - the installer brought a 722 (non-k) and argued with me that it's OTA capability was the same as the 722k. So, I told him go ahead and hook-up the 722 and we'll see. Sure enough, he went to TV2 and saw the OTA options grayed-out - he made it right and got me a 722k.

Eric

The regular 722 does have the OTA module built in but it's only one tuner so it only shows up on TV1.

The biggest thing everyone needs to think about is the amount of Dish customers that have at least one receiver mirrored. I'm assuming it's a decent amount, especially our customers. Have any of you tried mirroring a 211z receiver? It's a huge pain. You have to use an RF modulator since it doesn't have a coax out, this isn't a huge deal but still extra work and cost to the customer. Here's the kicker though, there are no longer any Dish UHF Remote kits so the customer has to purchase a third party product in order to make a Dish remote work which costs the customer even more money.
Do you think this could be a way for dish to discourage mirroring? Can still do it, but it's a PITA, and would be cheaper to just add the additional receievrr(greater revenue)

Do you think this could be a way for dish to discourage mirroring? Can still do it, but it's a PITA, and would be cheaper to just add the additional receievrr(greater revenue)

They won't admit it but it sure feels that way. I really think that is part of their reasoning because they have been missing out on a lot of receiver fees over the years.

The regular 722 does have the OTA module built in but it's only one tuner so it only shows up on TV1.

The question of the hour is, if a TV1 user isn't using it, why can't it be grabbed by the TV2 user? :mad: But that's not my biggest complaint; that's the lack of anamorphic widescreen output mode on TV2.

The question of the hour is, if a TV1 user isn't using it, why can't it be grabbed by the TV2 user? :mad: But that's not by biggest complaint; that's the lack of anamorphic widescreen output mode on TV2. :rant:

That receiver doesn't work like the Hopper where you just grab tuners. They would have to rebuild the 722 in order to work that way. The tuners in a 722 are dedicated to TV1 and TV2. There is no way to access the other tuner from the other TV unless you modulate the TV1 signal out to the TV2 TV. You could have TV2 on channel 73 and TV1 on 75. We have done installs like this so people have access to both tuners from any TV.

I should revise my earlier post of how I use my 222k. I stated I have SD hook up to bedroom and mirrored to exercise room. I forgot, it is also mirrored to the dinning room(HDmonitor). Also audio into stereo system which is in dining room and piped back to exercise room and outside porch area. I keep tuner2 programmed to serius/xm by default. We spend a lot of time either outside or downstairs in the exercise area. Normally in the bedroom we watch late night tv from OTA networks (HD). So again, for me, I say I'm happy with my setup and no equipment charge.
BUT, a question I now have: My daughter bought a home and wanted our same setup/receiver. The local dealer(s) said she could not get the 222k. That was almost a year ago so to this time she is watching only OTA and Roku. Should she be able to get a 222k?

Getting rid of the 222 series also cuts out the mirrored TV option. Which makes the 222 rcvr even more of a value. Splitting the TV2 feed to a 3rd or 4th room gives someone visibility to the programming in those additional rooms without paying additional fees for more 211 rcvr. You know TWC and Comcast figured that out long time ago by removing popular channels from their analog line-ups in order to force customers to have to upgrade to digital set top boxes to continue receiving those same channels. Why have someone split our signal to multiple rooms with no way to capture that revenue. Additional rcvrs give Dish a way to capture that revenue; just like TWC and Comcast did.

I bought a 222k to replace my old receiver about 3 years ago. It has been great for the one HD TV and two SD ones. I purchased another new one from the same dealer on eBay for $90 about a year ago for backup.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I didn't really think much of this until today... I had a two room new connect for two 211's at an apartment, which only had one cable running into the apt from outside, which was being used for internet.. Of course the landlord wouldn't allow any drilling.. Dish wouldn't modify to a 222k.. I ended up diplexing the cable internet signal with one sat feed, and luckily the cable splitter was in a closet outside on the customers balcony, and I was able to sneak another cable in thru the door jamb.... Although this isn't really a common setup for new connects, this could become a real problem...

I didn't really think much of this until today... I had a two room new connect for two 211's at an apartment, which only had one cable running into the apt from outside, which was being used for internet.. Of course the landlord wouldn't allow any drilling.. Dish wouldn't modify to a 222k.. I ended up diplexing the cable internet signal with one sat feed, and luckily the cable splitter was in a closet outside on the customers balcony, and I was able to sneak another cable in thru the door jamb.... Although this isn't really a common setup for new connects, this could become a real problem...

Major pain and a loss of customers for retailers such as myself. Customer will just say screw it and go with cable because it's easier.

The question of the hour is, if a TV1 user isn't using it, why can't it be grabbed by the TV2 user? :mad: But that's not my biggest complaint; that's the lack of anamorphic widescreen output mode on TV2.
Yeah, I remember how much less capable my ViP722s were, compared to my HWSes.

Can I offer you something to drink?

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)