222 Lockups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Anyone in the know out there heard anything about how long it may be till Dish fixes the software issue on the 222 receiver that is causing lockups. I just got off the phone with Tech Support and they tell me they are aware of the issue with this receiver.. But no ETA on when they will get a software fix.. Anyone else out there with these problems that has found anything that will lessen the problem? Or any Dish Tech people that can give me any info. I just installed this receiver two weeks ago and the customer is starting to get a little hot about all these reboots.

This may help your customer, Mark: In my situation, I have found that the 222 is EXTREMELY heat sensitive. 95% of my lock-ups and other 222 quirks disappeared after I gave the unit LOTS of breathing room.

all the VIP's need breathing room.....every single unit i ever installed i tried to convey to the customer that they need to keep it open.....and they always did. never had a problem

The unit is sitting on an open shelf, all alone with nothing to create heat problems. I know about heat problems.. But this doesn't seem to be heat related. Dish does say it knows about these lockup problems and it's a software issue according to them.. But that seems strange since not every 222 has this problem.. So it has to be an issue that is in conjuction with something else that causes it.. I just don't know.. One bad 222 maybe.. But a second one doing the same thing has to be in the receiver. New Cable, All new compression connectors, and I ever replaced the diplexers just to be sure.. And still the same problem. Going out there again today, and I am going to do away with the OTA to see if there is an issue there that is causeing the lockups.

2 things that have caused me problems...Caller ID and the interactive channel. If the phone rings while on the epg, it malfunctions. Don't use it. I quit using the interactive channel as well, as it is buggy at best.

One more thing to consider...It's fall solar outage time.

As I mentioned in a post last week; I've had the VIP222 for several months. Initially several problems. Had more problems when in 2 tuner mode. For the most part I keep it in single mode, as I like the PIP and really not to many lockups. While I have it set up for two locations - one TV in bed room and the main TV in living room, only watch one channel or location at a time.
Have always used an OTA for locals. Do not feel I should pay for locals if I can get them FTA.

Now that said, it locked up twice this last weekend. :( Do not know why at this point, will see if it continues. Had a lot of rain this last weekend and lost signal-stupid 129, so it may be due to this.

I have always had caller ID on, i like this feature, only answer the telephone in the evening if it's someone I want to talk to. :)
Never had the problems dahenny, you describe though.

To take care of the heat issue, When I first got it I put one LEGO block under each legpost-thanks son :), have not felt it get very hot at all.
Possible that this may help-good luck.

Last edited:
Saw this post on another Forum from what appears to be someone with a lot of knowledge, (wish I knew how to post a link but here is a cut & past of his post);

What I now believe is happening (I can even dupe this): If the signal fade is deep and uninterrupted (ie the signal is completely lost and remains out until the storm cell blows over), then the 222 seems able to recover OK.

However, if the signal loss is intermittent, where it drops completely out for a minute or so, then comes back for a minute or so (222 starts to recover some transponders) but the signal is then lost again (before the 222 fully recovered) and the signal does this (drops in and out) a few times, the 222 eventually locks up and quits trying.

The "lockup" manifests itself in various ways. Most often you simply cannot turn it on. The TV comes on and you get the E* logo screen advising you to press "Select" but you press "Select" and nothing happens. The front of the 222 is dark (no lights).

Other times it will turn on, but it will be in an endless loop, continuously going through the process of acquiring the transponders, switching birds, looking for transponders, switching birds again, etc., etc., over and over but never progressing. One time it said it was performing step 1 of 50.

If it does ever progress to the point of downloading the guide, then it will come back.

As I stated above, I can dupe this fairly consistently by disconnecting the drop behind the 222 & then briefly reconnecting it and disconnecting it 3 or so times in succession about a minute or so apart (I didn't time it). By comparison, if I disconnect the drop for a couple minutes then reconnect it and and leave it reconnected, the 222 always recovers.

Hope this helps:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)