222k s-video out

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
I am planning on getting a 222k but there is a lot of conflicting info out there, the descriptions all say it also has a s-video output on the tv1 tuner, but all the pictures I have seen show no tv1 s-video output.

So which is it does it have an s-video output or not for SD?

Tryed pulling up tech.dishnetwork.com but that source of info seems to have been removed from their site in the last 2 weeks.

No S-Video output.

Attachments

• 222k.jpg
    222k.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 134
Yep, all "K's" have only component or composite for the video RCA output, no S-Video. The trend for almost all new STB's is to eliminate the S-Video output; even the new TiVo Premier does not have S-Video out, as it's earlier models did, as one example. This kind of stinks because my archiving devices all have S-Video inputs, including my Super VHS machines:), and it is better PQ with the S-Video than with component. My Super VHS still have their uses for me even with DVR's.

Last edited:
But AFAIK the 222/222K does not handle an EHD--a big loss.
The EHD is a lot better than using a DVD recorder.
It might be possible to find a component to S-video converter, maybe but don't know where.
There were some component recorders but they were probably 480i or 480p, which would be a pain.
And they may have been CrCbY instead of PrPbY. Saw one used at a BB but would need technicals.
The composite is not much worse than S-video with good cables.
-Ken

S-video is a must have for me because of dvd recording so I guess the 222k is out.

Wish dish would make an inexpensive $40-$60 MPEG-422, basically an updated 322 with dual MPEG-4/8PSK tuners for SD, or HD to SD downconverting like a CECB works. Without a box like this I guess they plan to convert the entire western arc to MPEG4 with the likes of the 211 or 222 which both need better aspect ratio options for SD downconverting. Dish is realling missing the boat, if they made a box like a 422, everybody would probably be willing to front the expense of the conversion themselves. I guess I will keep my old 3900 and 301 for now and let dish pay the expense when the time comes. Probably better built then the new stuff anyway for SD.

Last edited:
I have those already, definetly worse then just using the composite directly if you had to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts