222K with no sound on non-HD channels

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
I have a customer who lost their sound on their standard definition channels but has sound on their HD channels. Dish sent them a new receiver and it is doing the same thing. I drove the 100 mile round trip to see if I could figure it out. I replaced the HDMI cable and got sound back. A few hours later they call and it is doing it again. I had him switch the HDMI ports on his tv but it stopped working again. His TV is a Phillips 47". Anyone have this problem too and how did you fix it?

I am starting to wonder if something in the 222k software has created a "handshake" issue, as I had a customer that once they turned the tv off and turned it back on the tv would not even detect a signal coming from the 222k. I went over and tried a different HDMI cable with the same results, ultimately I reconnected them using component cables and all has been fine.

This may or may not apply to the customers situation, but I had a HDMI handshake problem with the 622 I had and my Pioneer a/v receiver, and had the same issue with no audio on SD channels but audio on HD channels. I run my home theater through my a/v receiver for sound and not the tv so this may be a bit different than the 222k and it's sound issue.
What I had to do for awhile was get a Digital Optical cable and run between the dish receiver and my a/v receiver and set my set-up to digital optical and then sound would come in on all channels.
If the dish receiver is hooked directly to the Phillips tv and the tv has a digital audio jack and a digital audio cable is available they could try hooking the cable between the dish receiver and the tv in the digital optical jacks and see if that takes care of the audio problem. I left the HDMI cable hooked up.
FYI; Pioneer did a firmware up-date and that took care of the problem I had.
I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Saw a toshiba tv do something similar. Anytime the tv was turned off then turned back on, it wouldn't recognize several dish recs on any hdmi port unless you cycled back through all the inputs. Its on component now and works fine as well

dlharm said:
This may or may not apply to the customers situation, but I had a HDMI handshake problem with the 622 I had and my Pioneer a/v receiver, and had the same issue with no audio on SD channels but audio on HD channels. I run my home theater through my a/v receiver for sound and not the tv so this may be a bit different than the 222k and it's sound issue.
What I had to do for awhile was get a Digital Optical cable and run between the dish receiver and my a/v receiver and set my set-up to digital optical and then sound would come in on all channels.
If the dish receiver is hooked directly to the Phillips tv and the tv has a digital audio jack and a digital audio cable is available they could try hooking the cable between the dish receiver and the tv in the digital optical jacks and see if that takes care of the audio problem. I left the HDMI cable hooked up.
FYI; Pioneer did a firmware up-date and that took care of the problem I had.
I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Problem with your optical cable solution is the fact that tv's optical connection is an output, not an input.

Problem with your optical cable solution is the fact that tv's optical connection is an output, not an input.

Thanks! for the correction. I didn't think about the tv optical jack being an output when I wrote the reply.

I do hope the customer got the issue resolved.

Last edited:
I have a customer who lost their sound on their standard definition channels but has sound on their HD channels. Dish sent them a new receiver and it is doing the same thing. I drove the 100 mile round trip to see if I could figure it out. I replaced the HDMI cable and got sound back. A few hours later they call and it is doing it again. I had him switch the HDMI ports on his tv but it stopped working again. His TV is a Phillips 47". Anyone have this problem too and how did you fix it?

I am having the same issue on my Philips 42". Dish guy came out and said it possibly had to do with HDMI inputs on my tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)