22kHz switch Passthru..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rkrenicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Ok, I have gears turning in my head now. I am thinking about taking down the Phase 2 for now, and mounting a DBS LNBF onto my motorized dish. I would like to not use my DiSEqC 4x1, since its pretty flakey at best.

What I want to do is mount a 22kHz switch on the arm of my dish, and a jumper to a DBS LNBF (on 22k off) and a Fortec Star Universal LNBF on the 22kHz on side.

My question is, will the 22kHz switch strip out the tone, or pass it? Since this is a universal LNB, it will require the presence of a 22kHz tone for the highband (which is all I care about)..

This way, with 22k off, I have circular, and 22k on I have linear (high-band universal).. or will the switch strip out the tone, locking me to the lowband?

ultatryon said:
Ok, I have gears turning in my head now. I am thinking about taking down the Phase 2 for now, and mounting a DBS LNBF onto my motorized dish. I would like to not use my DiSEqC 4x1, since its pretty flakey at best.

What I want to do is mount a 22kHz switch on the arm of my dish, and a jumper to a DBS LNBF (on 22k off) and a Fortec Star Universal LNBF on the 22kHz on side.

My question is, will the 22kHz switch strip out the tone, or pass it? Since this is a universal LNB, it will require the presence of a 22kHz tone for the highband (which is all I care about)..

This way, with 22k off, I have circular, and 22k on I have linear (high-band universal).. or will the switch strip out the tone, locking me to the lowband?

Wont work on the grounds as such
-if you use the 0k for DBS and the 22k for the Universal, the 22K switch will override the Universal, leaving you on low band
-if you use the 22k for DBS, that would work for the DBS, but when you set the LO for the universal, if you set it to universal, as soon as the LNB switches to high, the 22k switch will override it….if you set it in the menu setup for 10600 LO and 22k on, the 22k switch will shoot it to the DBS, so your DBS will be 10600 instead of 11250.

Yea.. I was hoping that the switch would pass the 22k tone as well to the downstream device.. that way it would switch to the 22k side, and switch the lnb to the highband at the same time (killing two birds with one stone).. oh well, I guess I will just pick up a 2x1 DiSEqC, or stick with the DBS on a 2nd dish.

Well, Mr Red Green would be proud of my new setup... I strapped on a 4th LNB onto my Phase 2, with Duct Tape ;)

I couldnt find any large hose clamps or my bag of zip ties.. I only found the one, which is holding the feedhorns together (with a chunk of duct tape between them to ensure "proper" spacing), and then about 6 feet of tape around the lnbs.. hah

Too bad I left my camera at work, it will now have to wait until tomorrow to get photographed.

But in other news, my motor decided to partially work today, however I think my arc is screwed up.

Cant go wrong with Duct Tape!.. Got some new photos this morning ;)

Be warned, these are really big pictures.. and of course, my daughter was hamming it up, and really wanted to get in some of the pictures ;)

On the default TP (12224 V 20000) on my reciever, I get 88-90% signal, and 99% quality on all three locations (110, 119, and 91).. Not bad for 20 minutes, and some duct tape!

I went out a few minutes ago, and tweaked the 91 location a bit to get perfect signal, it was about half a centimeter too low when I slapped it on, but all in all, it was aligned very well (was getting 70% before messing with it)

Attachments

• DSC01880.jpg
    DSC01880.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC01883.jpg
    DSC01883.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01885.jpg
    DSC01885.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 184
sweet :)

I wish I had the cpability of doing that (no phase II)

I might motorize a DBS dish for fun (sick of having LNB's everywhere)

Crap.. my DiSEqC is junk.. it works only about 1/3 of the time, so I guess I will have to get another switch..

Also, I found that I had issues with my motor, and the universal LNB.. sometimes it wouldnt pass the 22k.. I put the standard back on, and its working fine now. (well, as well as my motor can work, since its freaking out)

new photos.. exterior shots. These are from the other side of the street.. the other dishes are above the roofline, and cannot be seen from the ground at all (except the very edge of the 61.5 dish, since it points much further east then anything else)

Attachments

• DSC01887.jpg
    DSC01887.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC01888.jpg
    DSC01888.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 174
Agree and disagree about duct tape. Good for quick stuff BUT stainless stands the test of time.

ultatryon said:
Cant go wrong with Duct Tape!.. Got some new photos this morning ;)

Be warned, these are really big pictures.. and of course, my daughter was hamming it up, and really wanted to get in some of the pictures ;)

On the default TP (12224 V 20000) on my reciever, I get 88-90% signal, and 99% quality on all three locations (110, 119, and 91).. Not bad for 20 minutes, and some duct tape!

I went out a few minutes ago, and tweaked the 91 location a bit to get perfect signal, it was about half a centimeter too low when I slapped it on, but all in all, it was aligned very well (was getting 70% before messing with it)

I guess in the DB crash, my last post disappeared

The duct tape is in no way a perminant fixture, but its doing its job right now..

I will pick up some big hose clamps (probably tomorrow) and get this done somewhat rightly.

talk about good timing.....I was just doing the same thing. Had my trusty universal and DN lnb on the same dish and decided to hook up a new diseq 4x1 switch. All I an say is "what a pain the a**". The circular works most of the time, albiet finicky. When Watching NASA, it decides to kick off and then the dreaded "no signal" shows up. I then power down or go into my antenna settings and volla, it fires back up. The universal gets a lock sometimes, however nothing off of G10, which pisses me off. Thanx for the info on how crappy these switches are, I thought it was me being a dough hole. If you happen to see a 4x1 switch blowing past you, it was just me throwing it as far away as I could.

My Invacom showed up today.. Holy Hannah is this thing heavy.. didnt expect that at all..

Its goin in tomorrow (its a nice birthday present to get to stay home, sleep in, and work on some FTA, then kick back with some drinks and watch some Tube)

Hurray, just ordered my Fortec 90P from sadoun today, cant wait to get some more gain ;)

FS 90P + Inva SNH-031 + DMSI SG2100 = happy me

You guys are getting me worried about all this talk about flaky Diseq switches. I hope I don't find the same when I go to do my fist install. My system will, should, arrive tommorow. I can hardly wait for the pain of it all.. Yippy.. JM

I am running the Coolsat switch that came with my receiver and no issues so far (knock on wood). I have another cheap switch for a backup and if the Coolsat does go I'll use that and then order a DMSI. :)

Technojunky said:
You guys are getting me worried about all this talk about flaky Diseq switches. I hope I don't find the same when I go to do my fist install. My system will, should, arrive tommorow. I can hardly wait for the pain of it all.. Yippy.. JM

when you add or remove switches, make sure the recver's master power is off. Then you wouldn't have any issues.

I've got 2 switches that I've used for 2 years now with no issues (and they've lasted through 2 MN winters) :)

Iceberg said:
when you add or remove switches, make sure the recver's master power is off. Then you wouldn't have any issues.

QUOTE]
I've killed 1 port (each) on two seperate switches, the first one was killed by me intentionally disconnecting the switch with power on before i knew better. The second went when a crappy push on f connector (was used by the installer who set up my dtv) came loose when power was on, causing a short. 'Bout time for me to get on the horn to psb and get some new ones ;-)

Those DMSI ones are awesome. No complaints here. I especially like that the backs are sealed on the DMSI ones vs the cheaper ones.

My coolsat one must have had it's threads cut not too long before they replaced the tooling on the machine. You couldn't screw on an f-connector if you wanted to. I used the slip-on adaptors to get me by until I got a 'good' one. I gave it away to another member here who was having DiSEqC switch woes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)