· Showtime West HD, Channel 1265
· Showtime Too West HD, Channel 1266
· TMC xtra HD, Channel 1272
· The Movie Channel (TMC) West HD, Channel 1273
· TMC xtra West HD, Channel 1274

NEW HD Movie Pack Service

· Independent Film Channel HD (IFC), Channel 1286

NBA TV and NBA TV HD

· In addition on December 17, 2009, NBA TV will be available to Digital Cable customers on Channel 108 at no additional charge. NBA TV HD will also be available to HD customers on Channel 1008 at no additional charge. These services are delivered on the SDV system

so they're putting the ifc hd in the 6 dollar movie pack? eeeeeewww ,,,at any rate congrats brighthouse 100 hd channels mission accomplished

I thought they was having 100 or so hd channels by years end? that dont seem close quiet yet...at least PURE hd channels and not the crapola "hd" channels that air sd content lol...

regardless bright house will get it right...December is usually a great month for random upgrades/updates

I thought they was having 100 or so hd channels by years end? that dont seem close quiet yet...at least PURE hd channels and not the crapola "hd" channels that air sd content lol...

regardless bright house will get it right...December is usually a great month for random upgrades/updates

Id love to find some channels that do not air SD content. The HD channels that air nothing but HD are few and far between.

All BHN can do is offer the channels HD broadcast, they can not control the format.

Hey, it's still a BILLION times better than a few years ago. 2 or 3 years ago it was impossible to find anything with HD programming besides like Mojo/HD-Net..

Yeah, the problem with this HD channel count war is that if a channel has one HD hour per week, it is called an "HD channel."

Ive been saying that for a long time, specially to all the people who were bashing BHN for not having enough HD channels..

Not sure your point, Insider. ALL providers do it, including BHN, so it is an apples to apples comparison...numbers that are misrepresentative for everybody, but in the same direction.

The only way it would not be apples to apples is if one cheated more than another. For example, if one provider said one pgm a week counts as HD channel and another decided not to call it an HD channel unless there was one per day.

What I mean is people kept saying "BHN sucks they dont have enough hd channels etc" When my argument was, what does it matter if they have 100hd channels. When only 10 of them show HD content on a regular basis. Id rather BHN have 10 great hd channels then 100 hd channels that show hardly any hd content.

However BHN has folded, and followed everyone else in the "numbers" game.

What I mean is people kept saying "BHN sucks they dont have enough hd channels etc" When my argument was, what does it matter if they have 100hd channels. When only 10 of them show HD content on a regular basis. Id rather BHN have 10 great hd channels then 100 hd channels that show hardly any hd content.

However BHN has folded, and followed everyone else in the "numbers" game.

I'm of the view that if a network has one specific show in HD with very little else on the network in HD I would still be upset if that one show was a show that can benefit from HD but I couldn't watch it on cable. I would rather have the HD channel availble for the one show in the hopes more content will come in HD. Sometimes the channel itself must be available to a mass amount of customers before the networks can start spending money ramping up HD content. The cable companies along with DirecTV, Dish and FIOS understand this.

The point when the public accepted HDTV in masses along with prices of HDTVs getting low enough to appeal to the masses became the time when the channels have to start showing up even if the content was a few years behind.

I haven't lost my memory when the local networks had hardly any HD content available but like anything else once those local HD channels became available to the masses (this means satellite and cable companies started adding them) we saw massive increases in HD content along with Fox finally switching from EDTV to HDTV which many of us felt could never have happened.

What is going on now for the less major HD networks is exactly what needed to happen for the local networks five years ago. All of these local channels needed to get contracts with the cable companies before content was added. Satellite HD LIL speed that process up by a few years IMO.

I also remember when BHN didn't have ABC, CBS, NBC, UPN and WG. We ended up getting CBS last out of the big four even though at the time CBS had the best picture quality with the most primetime shows in HDTV along with the most sports in HD. The sports HD coverage by CBS at the time was the trademark for showing off HDTV to your friends to entice them to get HDTV. The problem was once they were told they needed to install an antenna because BHN didn't carry CBS HD nor did the satellite companies that was the end of that setting pitch.

Heck I remember when BHN had just HBO HD and Showtime HD along with two local HD networks. That was the entire HD lineup for years so I'm not complaining one bit about BHN adding all of these HD channels even if the content hasn't caught up quite yet.

Anybody remember when Discovery HD Theater (now called HD Theater) just got added on Dish Network at a cost of 7 bucks a month. Yes a crappy HD channel compared to today's HD channels cost 7+ bucks a month. I'm telling you guys that are just getting into HDTV today you have no idea what it was like for us back in the day. We spent the most money on those HDTV sets and had crappy HD cable boxes and an even crappier selection of HD channels.

Many of you are now just buying your first HDTV sets (32" LCD HDTV for <500 bucks) and can rent an HD DVR for a couple bucks more than an SD DVR. You have all the locals in HDTV along with now over 75 HD channels and soon over 100 HD channels with most of these channels being quality channels with the shows we all want to see. Your now buying into a market that has more more services available compared to not available. Also remember that each of these HD channels also on average has about 60% more of their content available in HDTV compared to say six years ago.

I for one, LOVE the term BHN uses in advertising...

"Free HD"

Free, my toulkas!

some of us who have directv (myself included as i have both for now) chuckle at those ads. the monthly rental price for an hddvr more than makes up for the ten dollars i give dtv each month for hd access.

some of us who have directv (myself included as i have both for now) chuckle at those ads. the monthly rental price for an hddvr more than makes up for the ten dollars i give dtv each month for hd access.

It is pretty much why I dumped it and just use the QAM tuner to pick up the free HD locals.

The price difference between the DVR and HDDVR is less then 3$. That covers the cost difference in the hardware. (You also get a larger harddrive)

So BHN is telling the truth in there advertisement.. The HD service is free. The HD channels are free, you do not pay extra for them. (at least not in the form of an HD charge like say Directv has, they of course include the cost in the base rates)

And iceturkke what about the cost of equipment with Directv? Heck dont you get charged like 5bucks for not having a phone line hooked up?

Heck with Directv you have to pay 10$ for HD service and 6$ for DVR service.. (That does not even include the hardware!!) Sothere is 16$ right there.. The BHN HDDVR can be had for around 9.95$ and that includes the hardware!

Now that 16$ if you get the choice package or above they will give you 1 "free" DDVR But thats only for one TV.. Then you pay 5$ a month to lease the other equipment..

EDITED: To Correct BHN DVR Prices

Last edited:
first, of all, dtv's hard drives are larger than bhn's. my main one can record 100 hours of mpeg4hd.

second, the alleged lease fee is the old mirroring fee, dtrv has had for years. i only pay it for my secondary hddvr.

before, i went back to satellite almost 3 years ago, i was paying around 17 dollars a month to rent one hddvr, which has been the same model for 4 years now.

so, trust me, your hd isn't really free, its a hidden cost.

i don't have phone lines hooked up to either of my dvr's and there is no extra charge for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts