26000 In September But,,,,,,

Sat Junkie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
WallyWorld CT
I have been reading these message boards for the last month and the only number I have ever seen for the subscriber base is a dismal 26000. That was Sept 04's #. Was there any published # for Dec 04, or does anyone have an estimate? There must have been a significant jump with the amount of HDTV's sold in the last few months. I realize that the amount would still not be enough to stop the red ink.

The 26,000 number was from Cablevision's 10-Q filing in November. These are required quarterly filings. I believe the next one isn't required until February, so we should see it in the next few weeks perhaps.

It should be a doozy, for lots of obvious reasons.

Any guesses on subscriber numbers? 35,000? 48,000?

no more than 30,000

CVC is constantly aware of how many subs they have. 50,000 would mean that they had doubled their subs in just a couple of months. If that were the case, C. may have gotten a break for another quarter. I suspect they picked up a few, but lost a few as well.

The masses aren't ready for an HD geared service. And it's the masses that count.

r.jones1116 said:
currently 40,000 and still growing.

that sound more like it cause i can asure that we are doing far more installs now than de-installs .

FrankJo said:
CVC is constantly aware of how many subs they have. 50,000 would mean that they had doubled their subs in just a couple of months. If that were the case, C. may have gotten a break for another quarter. I suspect they picked up a few, but lost a few as well.

The masses aren't ready for an HD geared service. And it's the masses that count.

I install just as many voom on a reg. tv as i do a hd tv. believe it or not.

Some of the numbers I have seen was last Feb. 18,000 last June 22,000 and last Sept. 26,000. Sorry I don't have any links for those numbers, but those are the ones I remember.

Between VOOMs start and Feb. the service averaged 4,500 new subs per month (I'm not going to go through disconnects, churn, etc... lets keep it simple and say 4,500 subs and all of them kept service). From Feb. to June the average was 1,000 new subs, and from June to Sept. 1,000 new subs.

Being an optomist (but not extremist) I will say monthly growth was about 1,500 new subs per month from Sept. till now giving a Feb.2005 total of 31,000 subs. Average growth from start-up to now 1,823 subs per month. Of course growth could have been higher and closer to 40,000.

Regardless of the number of subs, it doesn't make much sense for E* to pick up the remaining subs. Better off just letting Voom shut them off and wait for the 50% that pick them over D*.

On a side note, other than the 50 or so VERY vocal Voom subs here, what percentage of Voomers do you think actually know that their signal is gonna go dark?

Many companies will put a subscriber/customer count in all of their press releases (in the "about" paragraph(s) that are traditionally at the end to give media outlets background). Voom doesn't do that. Nothing to brag about?

Cablevision will continue to explore strategic alternatives, including monetization, for its remaining Rainbow DBS related assets, including programming, equipment and spectrum.​
JL

Looking for an updated subscriber count but found another old item:
Rainbow DBS launched its VOOMSM service on October 15, 2003. It had not produced any revenues and incurred operating expenses of $57.7 million during 2003. For the nine months ended September 30, 2004, Rainbow DBS’ net revenues amount to $9.6 million and operating losses amounted to $211.6 million.
Note operating losses of $269.3 million for a net revenue of $9.6 million. This doesn't count the capital expenses of buying and building Rainbow1 or the SD uplink center that they are selling to E*. (The licenses were 'free'.) That's a lot of bleeding.
As of September 30, 2004, this business had approximately 26,000 activated customers. In the period from June through September 2004, there was a slow down in the rate at which Rainbow DBS added new customers. The business has also experienced an increase in customer deactivations. As a result, Rainbow DBS experienced a reduction in the number of subscribers from July to September 2004.
Note - less subscribers in September than July and a down trend they were trying to stop. I wonder if they still had 20k subscribers in December.

With the loss of subscribers involved (20% of all subscribers was mentioned in one news story) Voom probably had a cume subscriber count (# who ever subscribed) of 35k or so. It would also appear that Cablevision lost enough money in just operating costs to give every Voom subscriber a HD set for every room in their house.

JL

Voom should be proud of their losses, D* lost $278 million last quarter and they have 14 million subs.

Yes, I saw that as well. Pretty amazing "profit".

DarrellP said:
Voom should be proud of their losses, D* lost $278 million last quarter and they have 14 million subs.

Still watching HDTV (Monster at the moment) under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)