28" dishes shipping

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
I logged a service call with Voom about 4 weeks ago, asking for a 30" dish due to rain fade. First they said they would send a 24", then they said 30", and after several weeks of waiting I received a 28" dish today. Actually it is oblong - 28" tall and 24" wide - maybe this is what they call a 30". The installer commented that he heard from Voom that they are not shipping 24" dishes anymore. Now, just waiting for rain.

Interesting thing though - it vastly increased my OTA signal - increasing signal from 58 to 83. I suspect that since the dish is mounted behind the OTA antenna it is acting like a reflector for OTA.

bbtkd said:
Interesting thing though - it vastly increased my OTA signal - increasing signal from 58 to 83. I suspect that since the dish is mounted behind the OTA antenna it is acting like a reflector for OTA.

I highly doubt that this is even possible. Your OTA antenna is directional - you cannot get any signal from "behind". There must be other reasons for your better OTA signal.

Interesting. That's what I was thinking it might be when I started reading. I heard the new "dishes" are oblong.

Any chance we can see a pic of it?

This sounds like a typical 24" dish. I believe my 24" dish is 24x28. The 30" dish is actually more like 30x34" or 32x36". It depends on how you measure -- whether you measure the actual width of the dish in a straight line, or whether you include the curvature.

I received a 36.5"x32.5"x7.5" dish today. The installer told me that this is the dish that going to be the replacement dish for the 18-incher. I am too awaiting for a rain storm. On a clear day my signal strength is 99.

Strange when i got the larger dish (24") my sat quality and Sat power both went up 5 points..latly the quality has stayed @96-97 but the power dropped back down to 66-67 from 71..i have a CLEAR----- LOS

Anyone got any pictures of the larger dishes? I'm curious to see how I need to butter up my wife...if I need to take her out to dinner or buy her some diamonds if we are putting one up. ;)

I've got one coming for install on Saturday. I'll post a pic if nobody else has by then.

I just had an install... with slight rain fade btu when I called VOOM they said they dont do dish upgrades :no

October is the month mentioned for upgrades to the present dishes. Also I heard that at that time you'll be asked to make a time commitment to VOOM. (Part of Rainbow filing)

magnetic1 said:
I just had an install... with slight rain fade btu when I called VOOM they said they dont do dish upgrades :no

Depends on the CSR you talk to - if you call Voom. Yes they do dish upgrades, for a lot of people. They would lose a lot of customers if they didn't. Contact Installs Inc - they will get it done.

To answer other questions - the dish I got yesterday is not the new oval dish - that one will be wider than it is high and will have multiple feeds. After holding up the shipment for a month, the installer and I both thought it funny that they were shipping the standard dishes rather than just waiting for the oval. My signal only went up from 82 to 86 on channel 412, and PQ went from 96 to 97, kind of disappointing since I live in central US and have no obstructions. Yes he did repeak. The paperwork with the dish called it a 28" and he talked to someone at Voom who said the 24" is no longer shipping.

As far as the OTA improvement - yes, putting a reflector behind a directional antenna will improve the signal. A standard UHF directional antenna has a reflector at the back which is V shaped. Another possibility is that while installing the dish he bumped the OTA antenna aiming it more towards the tower, or moved a cable which is loose.

I have been waiting for weeks for mine, and with the storms I lose the signal for over an hour now in the afternoon.

And yes, the dish could have affected your OTA if it was nearby, depends upon a lot of things, but directional does not mean 0 coming from the back, just highly attenuated.

You should get them away from each other.

The dimensions that I mention above is what I got off the box that was left by the installer. So I am hoping when Voom signs the lease agreement for the other satellite, all that has to be done is to install another LNB and realign the dish to get both satellites.

Since there has been a lot of people on the forum wanting to see a picture of my new dish. I will get one taken this evening. I am thinking it will not have a good angle since I will be taking it at ground level, but I will try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts