2A diplexer with dual power pass?

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
I am looking for a diplexer similar to the Blue Holland, but with power pass on both ports (I need power pass on both ports for an OTA pre-amplifier). I have a 1000.2 and ViP211 system, so don't think 2 amp capability is necessary, but I would prefer to cover my bases. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Red

Well, running a separate cable sounds good. Trouble is, I am on a one year lease and will be moving at the end of that lease. I'm not exactly into cabling someone else's house for them - even if they would let me!

So, diplexers are actually the preferred solution in this case.

I thought DIshPro plus couldnt work with diplexers?
Or is the 1000.2 not a DPP Twin on it?

I have the standard 1000.2 configuration and am using diplexers with it - no problem on the sat side of things. On the OTA side, when using the diplexers I get very few of the channels that scan when the antenna is directly connected to the ViP211. I have done a lot of research and reading and will be using a preamp to overcome the diplexer and splitter losses. I have the option of using the IRD to power the preamp, which is why I posted in this thread.

After more thought, I think I will be going with a separate power source so that I don't draw from the receivers. My installation looks something like this (skipping obvious diplexers at the receiver location):

Code:
                                               --> SAT in
                                                           --> diplexed signal to receiver A
                            --> to diplexer A  --> ANT in 
ANT --> preamp --> splitter --> power injector
                            --> to diplexer B  --> ANT in
                                                           --> diplexed signal to receiver B
                                               --> SAT in

Last edited:
I have the standard 1000.2 configuration and am using diplexers with it - no problem on the sat side of things. On the OTA side, when using the diplexers I get very few of the channels that scan when the antenna is directly connected to the ViP211. I have done a lot of research and reading and will be using a preamp to overcome the diplexer and splitter losses. I have the option of using the IRD to power the preamp, which is why I posted in this thread.

After more thought, I think I will be going with a separate power source so that I don't draw from the receivers. My installation looks something like this (skipping obvious diplexers at the receiver location):

Code:
                                               --> SAT in
                                                           --> diplexed signal to receiver A
                            --> to diplexer A  --> ANT in 
ANT --> preamp --> splitter --> power injector
                            --> to diplexer B  --> ANT in
                                                           --> diplexed signal to receiver B
                                               --> SAT in

Red,

That setup should work. I had a similar config up in Seattle, except I didn't split the signal into 2 sat feeds. I had the power injector up in the attic upstream from the diplexor and everything worked great.

Miner

Cool, thanks for the confirmation! (Miner)

Next up is trying to calculate how strong of a preamp I need for the system. I am guesstimating about 16db of loss on the antenna feed (8db for Holland HRvS3 splitter, 1.5db each DPD2 diplexer, 5 db cabling). Using the standard of adding 5-10db of gain, I get a preamp demand of 21-26db gain for UHF.

That puts me in the Channel Master 7777 or Winegard 8780 class.

Am I missing anything?

I believe you are thinking about those darn DirectV dish (possibly SWM) that bandstack sat signal down into the OTA / CATV range.

Miner

nope. I know one of the Dish antennas doesnt work with a diplexer
Maybe its a 1000.4 (the eastern arc dish)

nope. I know one of the Dish antennas doesnt work with a diplexer
Maybe its a 1000.4 (the eastern arc dish)

I should be getting an EA 1000.4 today and while I'm not using a diplexer at the moment, i'll try it out just to see, and will let you know. I'm less than 10 mi from all the stations and use a silver sensor inside, but it's easy enough to insert the 2 diplexers and look for the results.

Miner

I received the last of my equipment today and completed the installation. Here is what I did and the results I got.

Originally, I mounted an RCA ANT751 antenna on the pole where my 1000.2 dish is located, just below the dish itself. This antenna was split and diplexed onto two RG-6 runs for receivers in the house. OTA signal quality, which was good with a direct connection, dropped to unusable on all but a couple channels.

Next, I switched to using two baluns instead of splitting the feed from a single balun. That helped a little, but still was not enough for most channels. I decided to swap out my consumer grade diplexers on both ends with Holland DPD2 diplexers. What an improvement! Now I was able to get all but two channels most of the time.

Today I added a Winegard AP8700 to the system, but rather than using their power injector, I used a Holland HFS3D splitter (back to a single balun) to feed the two diplexers with the power injected from an unused run in the house to the third port on the splitter.

Results? Works like a champ! I am getting both virtual UHF channels for each of the big four networks (all 2Edge at about 27 miles) in the calculated azimuth with one pair being mid 70s and the rest at 98+ on my ViP211 signal meters. In addition, I am getting 1 UHF channel (four virtual PBS, LOS at 18 miles) from the reciprocal azimuth in the low 80s on the signal meters. There is one other digital channel that I am detecting roughly 8 degrees off azimuth (1Edge) at around 50 signal quality, but since it is unwatchable I deleted it from the scan.

Attached is a photo of the final install.

Red

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 231
I received the last of my equipment today and completed the installation. Here is what I did and the results I got.
Today I added a Winegard AP8700 to the system, but rather than using their power injector, I used a Holland HFS3D splitter (back to a single balun) to feed the two diplexers with the power injected from an unused run in the house to the third port on the splitter.

Attached is a photo of the final install.

Red

Red,

Glad to hear you got it working. An OTA that low is always a challenge.

Miner

Red,

Glad to hear you got it working. An OTA that low is always a challenge.

Miner

Thanks, I thought so too. Last night I came across these two blog entries that I hope to research (and understand better) soon.

HDTVexpert — From The Field — DTV Reception Out On The Fringe
The Front Line :: THE DTV TRANSITION: Time?s A-Wasting!

If I read them correctly, it seems being close to the ground is actually a benefit in with some 1Edge and 2Edge applications. Most of my channels are listed as 2Edge by TVFool, but I certainly don't have a mountain nearby! In fact, I am in a fairly high place for Tallahassee. The only key barrier I have to overcome is a forest beyond the next block. I estimate that from my elevated position I am still about 25 feet below the treetops.

All I know is that it works!