2nd Antenna at cabin for temp use with home receiver? Do both antennas have to be same type?

fuforums

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Savannah, GA
I have a small property about an hour away for hunting, fishing, etc. I will be there with my family on July 4th and want to bring my 722 from home to use up there for a couple of days. Can I install another antenna up there with no problems or do I need something special? I have a 1000 currently with 3-dual tuner units. I do NOT have the Eastern arc since I don't have signal problems at home so I never changed over to it. Can I use an eastern arc (since I have heard they are much better for setup in southeast Ga) or do I have to use the same type of antenna at the cabin? I will be buying a new antenna for the cabin and leaving it installed up there so I can just take my 722 with me the few times per year that I will stay up there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

PS I have one of the larger packages with 250+ and all the HD channels and would like to be able to view all of them so I would need all three satellites, I suppose.

Savannah locals are on both arcs so either will work. It may come down to line of sight. Only thing you may need to know, if the cabin is not the same setup as at home, you will have to run a check switch everytime you move the receiver.

Thanks for the info. Is the eastern arc easier to set up? Line of site at the cabin isn't a problem. I don't mind Doing a check switch. Its only a couple times a year at the most.

Eastern ARC could be easier because you only need two satellites for everything, 61.5 and 72. On the East coast even with line of sight 129 is a little harder, plus you're going after three satellites. You won't have to manually do a check switch, the receiver will do that on it's own when you plug it in. Dish now has a new dish specifically to get just those two satellites. (You don't have to get that one)

fuforums said:
OK so I'm looking on eBay at the 1000.4 kit which is a dish pro plus. Will this work fine with my vip722?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=180720859781

And I wont have to call dish for anything? Because I am still using the 129 setup at home.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It will work fine as long as you have clear LOS to the EA birds.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

OK so I'm looking on eBay at the 1000.4 kit which is a dish pro plus. Will this work fine with my vip722?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=180720859781

And I wont have to call dish for anything? Because I am still using the 129 setup at home.

Thanks for the help everyone.

From your questions I would suggest for July 4th find a DISH installer in the area of the camp to do your install. A 1000.4 is not a TV antenna that you can just generally point and have it work. It must be correctly aligned and no mater what Tampa8 says if you have never done it it will be very frustrating. It mignt even take several trips to the camp to get it installed.

I have installed quite a few dishes over the last 15 years and generally they are pretty easy. I just have never used the newer eastern arc system and wasn't sure if it needed to be turned on or whatever from the dish.com side. I currently have a 1000 system that is working on 3 dual tuners I installed about 5 years ago and before that I had a 500 system and before that I used to "test card " and program and all that stuff for "experimental, educational " purposes only but now am too lazy to do that and would rather be legit and pay for everything I use.

I have found if you use a sat meter to get you in the neighborhood and now with the apps for sat finders its way easier than it used to be and installation and pointing doesn't take long at all.

Thanks for the help!

I just did the exact same install at my summer home. I upgraded to an HD system and was given a 722K / EA.2 dish for the installlation. I could not find an EA.2 dish to buy on line for the cottage so I got a 1000.4 EA on ebay for $80. The only difficulty I had was that I had to run a Check Switch without any LNB's attached in order to clear out the obitals from the EA.2 install. Until then the receiver did not recognize the 61.5 sat on the 1000.4.
The install was easy, I simply set up my 722K receiver and a small portable TV on table outside next to my dish. I was able to rough in the setup and then fine tune watching the signal scale on 6-1-1 screen. The only tools needed were a compass and level to true the mounting post to plumb. The numbers from Dish Pointer were right on. In fact the adjustment system of the 1000.4 dish is easier to use because of the angle adjustment shaft and the dithering cam.

Now THAT's dedication. Came back, found the original post 1 1/2 years later to say thank-you.

Well, I was scrolling through my old posts and realized I hadn't replied and I hate having loose ends.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)