2nd Cable For Dvr?

fayrich

Old Fart
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2004
CLEVELAND, OHIO AREA
Have seen it mentioned here that when the new unit with DVR comes out, that it will require a second cable to be run to the box. Guess maybe that I'm just stupid since I haven't seen anyone else pose this question. But what would it be for??

There are four tuners to the current DVR configuration. These are two satellite tuners and two OTA tuners. It model could be 4 coax lines to the back of STB.

So will we be charged to run another line for this?
Tried to get my installer to run 2 lines for the OTA and stb but ended up re-using my D* line that i had run years ago with the diplexer.

FAYRICH said:
Have seen it mentioned here that when the new unit with DVR comes out, that it will require a second cable to be run to the box. Guess maybe that I'm just stupid since I haven't seen anyone else pose this question. But what would it be for??

OK - you would need at a minimum two cables running from your dish to the DVR; one for sat horizontal, one for sat vertical - assuming you diplex the OTA on one of them. I would suggest instead having three lines from the dish to the DVR and skipping the diplexor.

Then you need a cable from the DVR to up to four viewing locations, but presumably one of the four connections goes to your primary HDTV located with the DVR.

So - three cables from the dish, then one cable out to each of three other TV's. The flaw in their DVR design is that there are four receivers in the DVR, but two are Sat only and two are OTA only. If two people are watching sat, a third and fourth can't. It would have been nice if they had dual-purpose receiver cards so that each of the four locations can choose what they want to watch. Alternately, it would be nice if they had a DVR that supported further expansion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts