2nd Dish Account for 2nd House Dish Network Foul-up

kappy44

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
At the beginning of this month I informed Dish network that I was getting a second home in NM. I understood that I would need to open a new account, but made sure the billing for the now 2 accounts would go to my same billing address in TX...that went fine. I informed them I wished to bring one of my 211's and one of my 722's with its USB storage device with me. They informed me I could not take the receivers as they were leased. I said to them that was ridiculous and I was concerned that the 300 hours of programming on the storage device would be lost when they sent me a new leased 722 at the 2nd home....I said: You mean to tell me you are going thru the expense of having RA numbers issued for the two original receivers and you are then sending two new receivers when I could simply transfer the R and S numbers to the new address by taking the receivers with me and they said that's their policy. I asked about the storage device and they assured me that it would be allowed to be connected to the new 722 and I would not lose my material....I requested elevation to both the "keep Dish department and the executive office...spent 4 hours on the phone and they held their position, but insisted that they would insure the USB storage device would be allowed to remain on the new receiver w/o formatting.

I'm sure you can guess what happened....I get to NM, hook-up the USB storage device and find that it insists on being re-formatted and on the warning states that I will lose everything on the device. Another four hours on the phone and high-level tech support can't solve the problem and I get directed to a person named Ellie in the Executive Office response team. She informs me that she read my history, acknowledges I am one of their oldest accounts and largest subscriber (close to ten years) and the best she can do for me is offer me a $60 credit. She states the storage devices are considered temporary and they can't help me otherwise. She states that she admits I was given wrong information from the start and that was reflected in my history on the screen she was looking at! That was the end of the story.....is this screwed-up or what? Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
and so it goes these days when dealing with any gigantic bureaucracy. DTV, Dish, US Cellular, ATT, IRS, VA, FBI, etc etc etc.

part of the price of modern conveinences. sucks i know.

So cancel and switch to Directv. You'll feel better, but of course nothing will have really changed programming will still be missing.

Try writing to the ceo@echostar.com and tell him your story. MAybe they will be able to offer you something more of value for your trouble and don't be afraid to tell them that if not, the next step is DIRECTV.

That doesn't help him. He wants to be able to move his external disk with him.

Thanks, you are correct, but this can't happen as I found out....main point here is that Dish reps consider the hard drive a temporary item and could care less about the way it is handled. CEO @echostar worked in the past, but now they have created new barriers alleging that you are talking with same. I've had Directv when it first came out and Primestar when it was in business..now have Dish for about 10 years....switching is too costly for me as I have many switches and and own 2 receivers at my first house. I also subscribe to BEV which has a commonality of equipment.

Main point is to let all know what can happen if you move with the intent of using your existing USB storage device.

I see two actual solutions, depending on your situation.

If you are only going back and forth seasonally, just change your service address and take the receivers with you. That way, you can save the second account and you aren't cheating because you are reporting the correct service address.

If you are moving back and forth more often, just put the Texas home on vacation hold. That will keep the audit Nazis off your back and allow you to hook up the 722 at the new address. You won't get programming, but as long as it can see a satellite, you will be able to view what is on the external HD with the 722 you bring with you.

Both are clumsy, but should work. The real problem is that you have a non-standard need and as DISH gets bigger, they become less adaptable and handling special requests.

I can understand why you can't use the external drive to watch recorded shows on a different account. The software is written to not allow it. The receivers at the 2nd location would have to be on the same account.

I can't understand why Dish can't train their CSRs better. It seems as though they are always giving out the wrong info.

Looks like you will have to take the 722 that you used with your external drive with you if you want to watch the recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)