2nd Dish at same address?

Goobzilla

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Wellington, CO
Thinking about switching to Dish after a long time with DirecTV. I have a detached shop 100+ feet from the house that I would like to have TV in. I would rather not have to trench out for a cable heading out there. How does Dish treat a 2nd dish at the same address? Just an extra receiver charge or something else?

Thanks!

Best solution, and this is assuming all is legal, meaning it would be for your personal use at your same address as the house. Get an extra receiver than you need when you have it installed at the house. Then pay the installer to install a second dish at the work shop, or buy one and do it yourself. Can't be the Hopper system at either the house or work shop. To complete keeping it legal all the receivers should be hooked to the same phone number.

I'm not the best at installation methods, but on the legal side, I am with the understanding that if your shop is not a separate residence or a commercial entity, you should be all set. It has to be on your home property for your personal use.

Thinking about switching to Dish after a long time with DirecTV. I have a detached shop 100+ feet from the house that I would like to have TV in. I would rather not have to trench out for a cable heading out there. How does Dish treat a 2nd dish at the same address? Just an extra receiver charge or something else?

Thanks!

If it doesn't have to be HD, I would stretch an RG6 cable from the Home Distribution output, TV2 (cable doesn't have to be berried. You may need a line amplifier if the cable is too long). You would also need an extra UHF antenna, remote, 2 splitters and you have satellite in your shop.

your tech may not want to install 2 dish. It would be better to trench it. If it is a internal tech we will dig it you just have to wait a week for utlitites to be marked

joshua.mcglothlen said:
your tech may not want to install 2 dish. It would be better to trench it. If it is a internal tech we will dig it you just have to wait a week for utlitites to be marked

You really think 100 ft of trenching is easier than putting up a seperate dish? You must like to play in the dirt. Lol.

Yes they will do it. Perhaps not that day if they didn't know about it, but this is far from an unusual case. Install is no different than being called out any other time if the homeowner is paying the cost. I wouldn't suggest running a cable over just having a Dish installed.

I told them to set it up and make it work. They said the installer would "figure out the best solution" Next day install, impressed with Dish so far :)

Goobzilla said:
I told them to set it up and make it work. They said the installer would "figure out the best solution" Next day install, impressed with Dish so far :)

In house techs dont pay for equipment so if you get one of those guys they can just say they had to use it.

It just takes a little more time to set up a second dish.

I do it all the time.

If your shop has its own (power) service panel, either breaker box or meter, then I would recommend a separate dish for sure.
The reason being that you don't want "stray" current feeding back and forth on your cable.
If the shop and the house have one grounding point , then you will probably be ok

Well of course that was an epic fail. Installer showed up with Hopper and 3 Joeys and told me that a Joey wouldn't work in the shop, which I knew already. Of course he had no extra equipment with him to add a standalone dish and receiver either. I will call Dish today and kindly ask them to come install a 2nd dish and receiver for the shop. I just had them install the 3rd Joey in a spare bedroom since I was thinking about doing it at some point anyway. Updates to come :)

The Hopper installation is another epic fail, because now Dish won't allow you to have a different receiver in the shop! I suppose they could install a 2nd Hopper out there for $200 more.

Goobzilla said:
Well of course that was an epic fail. Installer showed up with Hopper and 3 Joeys and told me that a Joey wouldn't work in the shop, which I knew already. Of course he had no extra equipment with him to add a standalone dish and receiver either. I will call Dish today and kindly ask them to come install a 2nd dish and receiver for the shop. I just had them install the 3rd Joey in a spare bedroom since I was thinking about doing it at some point anyway. Updates to come :)

Ahhh didnt realize it was the hopper joey you were looking at. Yup, 2 dishes wont work for that unless you have 2 hoppers, but then they wont ever see each other. Now the regular recievers will.

However, Dish is currently not allowing any other reciever to be on the accoint with the hopper joets.

The only receiver you can put in the shop is a Hopper. As posted above no other receiver/Joey would be able to make use of it either. I did mention it can't be a Hopper system in my earlier post.

I'm boned. They couldn't come up with a good solution that didn't cost me dearly so I guess I'll forget it. They wanted to do a 2nd account with it's own full price bill...pass.

I guess it all boils down to whether or not Dish cares about the few that need separate receivers for scenarios like this (looks like they don't.)

I'm boned. They couldn't come up with a good solution that didn't cost me dearly so I guess I'll forget it. They wanted to do a 2nd account with it's own full price bill...pass.
I still think your best option is to use TV2 output. If it is your own property and can stretch (up in the air, no need to berried) 100-150ft of RG6, for one time cost < $100 (antenna, coax, remote, splitters) you have TV in your shop.

I still think your best option is to use TV2 output. If it is your own property and can stretch (up in the air, no need to berried) 100-150ft of RG6, for one time cost < $100 (antenna, coax, remote, splitters) you have TV in your shop.
Except there is no TV2 output from a Hopper system. Dish dropped the ball by not offering a ViP solution instead of the Hopper if they had been told about the 2nd dish/remote location issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)