2nd Dish Install

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I have a Dish 500 with a DPPTwin and a 625 hooked up to it. I have AT120 with locals. I can get another Dish 500 fairly cheap, but it only has a DPTwin on it. It is still all new and packaged. Since there's some channels left I actually subscribe to, but they're on 148W, I thought about getting it and installing it myself. My question is, if I can connect one of the DPTwins sides, either 119 or 110, to the DPPTwin input without a switch, because that's what the DPPTwin is supposed to be capable of. If this is possible, I would like to ask you guys about the right order to install, so I don't mess it up. I feel pretty comfortable about doing this myself, but am afraid to kill something, because one of you more experienced guys knows some fail safe tricks, I don't know about yet and keep me from killing something on my system, or keep me from getting lost in dead end and don't know how to get out. I have read alot of the how to's on Satelliteguys here, but still am way to green to start a project like this without advise. So far my system has been working beautfully and I want to keep it that way. So please if there's a kind soul there willing to lead me the right way, I will absolutely appreciate it, as I am fascinated by this technology and am eager to learn alot more.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Ralf :)

Dave ,well it's more about the how to connect it, do I have to turn the system off, and if the DPTwin will get along with the DPPTwin connected to. The mast and dish mount is not so much of my concern.

It wont read properly, you will need a dp dual to do it. Before you buy the dish though find out what the channels are and research the info on what the programming is that these channels have, nothing worse than having a second dish installed only to find you dont like the channels on that dish.

Van the channels are some religious channels and about 3 missing locals. I do mostly care about he missing locals. I know I could get the 2nd dish for free, but I really like the challenge now of doing it myself. I just love to learn new things :)

Van, using a second D500 with DP-Twin for a wing dish should work fine.

Cover the 110 eye with tin foil. Hook the port under the 119 eye DIRECTLY to a receiver and find 148. Move that feed to the input on the DPP-Twin. Run Check Switch on all receivers.

If it makes you comfortable to pull power when moving cables, then do it.

ralfyguy said:
Van the channels are some religious channels and about 3 missing locals. I do mostly care about he missing locals. I know I could get the 2nd dish for free, but I really like the challenge now of doing it myself. I just love to learn new things :)

Thats whats most important, Ive had a few customers request the second dish be installed because its free and once installed and they see the channel from the detroit market they get that " who farted " :what look on theyr face.

Simple Siomon, wouldn't I only have to use one side of the DPTwin anyways? Shouldn't you use just either the 119 or 110? Or did you mean when pointing the second dish,unplug the DPPTwin that's aleady there and connect those to cables to the 2nd dish DPTwin to the 625, because it needs both feeds for dual tuner. Then point the dish to 148, align it right to get a good reading and then turn the system off and connect 119 from 2nd dish DPTwin to the 1st dish DPPTwin input and reconnect everything else and fire up. Then run checkswitch and see if it works, right?

ralfyguy said:
Simple Siomon, wouldn't I only have to use one side of the DPTwin anyways? Shouldn't you use just either the 119 or 110? Or did you mean when pointing the second dish,unplug the DPPTwin that's aleady there and connect those to cables to the 2nd dish DPTwin to the 625, because it needs both feeds for dual tuner. Then point the dish to 148, align it right to get a good reading and then turn the system off and connect 119 from 2nd dish DPTwin to the 1st dish DPPTwin input and reconnect everything else and fire up. Then run checkswitch and see if it works, right?
That's what I was talking about. Cover the 110 eye on the DP-Twin, and use the 119 side of the DP-Twin to feed into the DPPlus-Twin (once it's aimed). You should NOT use the 110 side - it can lead to later trouble.

You probably do NOT have to run both feeds to the 625 to aim - just make sure you remove the DPP-Sep, and pick the right tuner on the aiming menu. It'd probably be better if you use a single-tuner box, tho.

Sounds good to me then. There's another obstacle I probably can't solve. If I check on the angles, it states for my location 240 degree azimuth and 22 degree elevation for the 148W. So I took my compass and went to the south side of my house and BANG! The most huge tree is in the way! It's in the neighbor's yard. And I also checked on putting it on the roof...no way, it's still in the way. Because of the low elevation it would still be in the way. That tree is about 40 feet tall, and very close to my house, about 20 feet away. DAMN! Maybe since its getting winter, and the leaves are halfway gone, I could at least watch programming on 148 during the winter months and forget about it from spring on....Gotta go check and see if I still got some copper nails in my basement, and then at night....... :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)