2nd Home 2nd Dish Possible

bluereef

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2006
I live on the east coast (Florida) and have a 2nd home on the west coast (Calif). I would like to add a 2nd dish to my 2nd home and bring my receiver with me when i vacation there. I don't have any problems with a line of site for a signal. I am currently on 110, 119,129 sat's. Does anyone for see a problems with setting up a new dish and bring my receiver with me? Will Dish know its not in Florida??

I can bring a 722 DVR or a standard HD box, its silver and don't now the model number.

Thanks

Has been covered numerous times. You are supposed to be bringing all your receivers to another location so that there is no way someone can be using it at two locations. You also tell Dish what the new location will be. They will change your account to that address, making it legal. Then when you return, call Dish back.

You can do that but you will not receive your local channels.... If you are going to vacation for a long period, you can call Dish and they will set you up as a vacationer and you will receive the local channels for the area that you are in. When you return home, call again and you will get your Florida locals again....

Just realize not calling Dish would be against the policy because they clearly say they need to know where the receivers are at all times.

My question is will this work otherwise. I don't have a set schedule on my 2nd home and thus calling and calling back will become a real pain and if my wife decides she want to go home early and I want to stay one of us will be without service>> And I have a 1000 dish with 3 lnb's is there a different lnb setup for the western arc??

Dish knows where my receiver is. It's at my service address. ;)

That is the address you would tell Dish you want to change when you move back and forth, your service address.

Your Fl dish is a Western Arc dish. If it is connected to telephone or internet it does report back to DISH. If you can afford homes in FL and CA you can afford 2 DISH accounts.

My question is will this work otherwise. I don't have a set schedule on my 2nd home and thus calling and calling back will become a real pain and if my wife decides she want to go home early and I want to stay one of us will be without service>> And I have a 1000 dish with 3 lnb's is there a different lnb setup for the western arc??

What you want to do is directly against Dish policy, and is dishonest. Pay for two accounts then.

You can do that...but i dont think that it is the best idea to tell dish because they dont like you doing that stuff without a professional installer. Also You will not have your local channels for the place you will reside in because your reciver was already fist installed in your 1st home so it was set up to run your 1st home's local channels.

You can not have a receiver active at two different locations legally unless you set up two separate accounts. No retailer should be doing this for you unless they want to risk losing their business. If you want to do it you would have to try it on your own and hope you don't get caught.

The short answer is - yes, it will technically work. If you are getting 110, 119, 129 from FL, then you are already on western arc. You would just need to replicate your physical dish setup in CA. You will not get FL locals in CA unless your locals happen to be on a CONUS beam and not a spot beam.

If you can afford homes in FL and CA you can afford 2 DISH accounts.

What a DB.....how do you know what anyone can or can't afford....

man just take a receiver with you, don't listen to these haters. what is the difference if him and is wife watch a different receiver in the same house in FL or one in CA and one in FL? it is not like anyone outside the immediate family would be using them.

I take a receiver to my cottage all the time, and my wife may or may not come with me.

It's stealing, when you do it too, simple as that. This isn't a matter of being high and mighty about it. It's directly stealing service you are not entittled to, no different than stealing a cable service by rewiring.

What is the difference between watching tv at my home or my cottage? or taking your receiver rv'ing? how can I steal something I pay for?

What is the difference between watching tv at my home or my cottage? or taking your receiver rv'ing? how can I steal something I pay for?

I don't think it is a criminal offense, just a contract violation. People do take a receiver with them to their cabins or vacation homes, but one does run the risk of getting an audit call and being asked to jump through some hoops one can't do unless all your receivers are immediately available. If you're flying back and forth, taking your receivers is pretty hard to do. If you own your receivers you could deactivate the ones you don't take or you could only activate a purchased receiver at the Cali home and then deactivate when you leave when you reactivate the ones back in FL for your return. Can't do this with leased receivers though. You could put FL on Dish Pause and open a Pay as You Go account for Cali. I think you are limited to 1 Pause per year though so if you make more frequent trips that wouldn't work. The odds of ever getting audited are pretty low but of you do, they'll shut off all but 1 receiver. You can use a Dishmover to get a dish installed at the CA home but they'll switch the service address to that location and all your leased receivers will have to be present.

what is the difference if him and is wife watch a different receiver in the same house in FL or one in CA and one in FL? it is not like anyone outside the immediate family would be using them.

I take a receiver to my cottage all the time, and my wife may or may not come with me.

Your reply above conveniently neglected this part of it. Yes, if you take all your receivers (As Dish has stated in the past) or at the least have no one at both places watching at the same time, I would not call it stealing. But you can decorate it anyway you want, it is against policy and I consider stealing to have service at two locations being used at the same time in the manner you describe. You are NOT paying for that. If you are so sure it's ok to do it, call and let Dish know you want locals at two locations because you have split up your receivers and are using them in two locations at the same time............

"You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence........
"If we later determine that you did, we may
disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the
amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on
your account."

It's called account stacking.

Last edited:
If you are so sure it's ok to do it, call and let Dish know you want locals at two locations because you have split up your receivers and are using them in two locations at the same time............

why would I do that? I like my Detroit locals when I am up north, and use my mt2 to receive my up north locals.

If I was indeed stacking, the location ID can be spoofed anyway, so bring on audit team. If I really wanted to stack I would have D*, there are plenty of brokers out there.

so when you take your 211 on the road with hopper account and tailgater you are stacking?

Last edited:
It is OK to have two houses with two dishes and move your receivers between them, but you cannot have service at both locations simultaneously without having 2 accounts.

As long as you move all your receivers to the alternate site at the same time and call Dish to transfer your locals you will be within your service agreement.

If you split the receivers and Dish finds out - well, Charlie has no compunctions about using lawyers, now does he?.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts