2nd Receiver on Different Antenna & Location?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom40

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
PA
I have a standard D-10-300 receiver in my house with the 18" dish AND have RV waiver and pay extra for the east coast national feed.
In the winter my wife and I usually take the receiver out of the house, put it into our RV which has it's own antenna, and head for warmer places for the winter.

This winter she wants to stay home in PA and freeze, but I will take the camper by myself and head south to FL.

I am thinking of buying a second receiver, paying the extra $5? per month.
What I was hoping to do was take one of the receivers with me in the RV and leave the other in the house for the wife for the winter until I return.

Can this be done? Any problems here?

technically its a no-no (not suppose to have 2 receivers at 2 different locations) but with the RV maybe its different.
Do people do it? yes

all you need to do is buy another receiver....Now I'm sure if you add a receiver they will add onto your contract...I think a SD only receiver is 12 months but a HD receiver is 24 month extention

But you may want to check Ebay for a owned receiver. They would have no contract extension

I'm not too concerned about contract issues. I've been with DTV for maybe 12 years and have an old Total Choice Program. I think I saw yesterday that it would cost me $88 for a new SD receiver and $6/mo more. Maybe for a contract extension it would make the receiver free. Not a big deal in either case, but free is Always nice.
We haven't gone HD due to the pain of HD on our camper and the large expense for a semi/auto HD antenna. Plus, up to now I have traveled about 9 months a year. For years I ran a portable SD dish and set up each move of the camper. Not too bad, but I'm not in the mood to do that with a portable HD antenna. When I get too old and have to stop traveling, then will be the HD time. And in my neighborhood they have installed Verizon FIOS, other cable, so there are lots of options down the road.
Wouldn't have this problem if wife has not decided to say at home. :(

HD is NO harder to setup than SD on the road but this old wives tale prevails anyway.

Your bigger issue is that IF you try to switch to HD you will likely lose your east coast DNS. Right now you are grandfathered The "rules" prohibit you from having DNS at a sticks and bricks if broadcast Locals are available. Going HD would require a new install at your home and while your account is being modified your DNS will likely bite the dust as the HD pacjage would not include it. That said, lots of folks have slipped through the cracks and have both but that is a roll of the dice. You cannot get DNS through the regular 800 number but must deal with the a separate department.

A "change" would also likely cause you to lose your current programing package if is not sold anymore. I know as it happened to me when I went HD in 2007.

Iceberg's answers are all correct.

HD is NO harder to setup than SD on the road but this old wives tale prevails anyway.

Your bigger issue is that IF you try to switch to HD you will likely lose your east coast DNS. Right now you are grandfathered The "rules" prohibit you from having DNS at a sticks and bricks if broadcast Locals are available...

You are correct about the portable HD setup on the road... I have no fear of it, except a pain in rain! ... I'm just lazy now that I have a roof top Weingard manual dish (but I still carry a portable 18" for 'treeed' areas). Frankly I'm amazed at the quality of picture I got in the RV once I switched to an LCD AND connected an S-video cable. Cut out all of the signal distortion from my millions (it seems) of cables behind the receiver, DVD player etc. (No HDMI on my std receiver)

I guess in the case of HD swithch, I would argue that I really don't have a stick & bricks, just an address. I would insist I was a full time Rver, which at 9 months a year, I almost am. don't know if I would will that battle...

Last edited:
I have DNS and still have Locals although I am no longer under the spot-beam. I asked to remove them, thought I could save a few bucks, and was told I can't. I am setup pretty good now and decided not to rock the boat. They are part of ones package so a CSR obviously does not have that button to push anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts