3/15/2012 2:17am - Uplink Activity Report - 111 changes

The End is Near for Puerto Rico Subs

I have a suggestion for DISH. From 129, move some of the many HD channels that were made unavailable to Puerto Rico customers, to this transponder on 110.:D
(You will make a lot of people happy, and still have space available for more HD on 129)

At the rate we are loosing HD channels I figure the AEP worth 105.00 not including receiver fees and more fees by next month we might have a HD line-up of 15 channels in the AEP. Don't say DISH don't have the capacity. I am going yo have to steal the signal with an FTA receiver with HDMI and auto-roll up. If I had known this B.S. years ago I would have never had DN. I am also sick and tired of "this channel is not available in Puerto Rico" . :mad:

My guide looks like a blood bath with many, many, many just not available and RED.:mad:

To you DN get the hell out of Puerto Rico if all you do is steal our money. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are dissatisfied with Dish, STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM. Otherwise, dial back your tone a little please. I understand the frustration, but what Dish did this week was not a surprise. It has been discussed here for over a year.

Maybe once Puerto Rico votes to become a state, it would mean better service from DISH. After all it wouldn't be good business to piss off the 51st state in the union.;)

You Are Correct

If you are dissatisfied with Dish, STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM. Otherwise, dial back your tone a little please. I understand the frustration, but what Dish did this week was not a surprise. It has been discussed here for over a year.

Sometimes we all get upset down here about this situation. What keeps me going it's the launch of E16 which promises to have 5 TP with spot beams for Puerto Rico. Sorry if I offended anyone:)

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe once Puerto Rico votes to become a state, it would mean better service from DISH. After all it wouldn't be good business to piss off the 51st state in the union.;)

Not to get political here, just a technical/legal question. All states must be treated equally by the USPS - same cost for 1st class stamp. There's something about timelines to have equal telephone toll free service (800,866etc). Heck, I think Guam has toll free now.

Yet I know AK and HI are treated differently for sat TV service. Seems an inconsistent policy. And perhaps from a technical point of view, PR might be easier to cover when designing sats.

So what is the law/regulation for AK & HI? And if PR voted for statehood (I have no idea which way that is swinging) and Congress approved, would new rules kick in? Some timeline for equalizing service?

I think the answer is Dish doesn't have to provide service everywhere, and could if they wanted to charge more for certain States than others. Direct TV now charges a few customers more than others, nothing illegal about that.

So what is the law/regulation for AK & HI? And if PR voted for statehood (I have no idea which way that is swinging) and Congress approved, would new rules kick in? Some timeline for equalizing service?

No, not automatically. The current law has segments specifically written for Alaska and Hawaii because Alaska and Hawaii have representation in Congress and can add amendments and have input on legislation. Since Puerto Rico, Guam, USVI, Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa do not have binding representation in Congress, they get screwed (or overlooked) every time.

The rules dealing with phone and postage have to do with equal access to two way communications. It has nothing to do with anything else. Most, if not all other businesses have an AK/HI/PR separate price structures because it is more expensive to do business due to transportation and technical costs.

Not how I read it or thought it was. IF they provide service in those States, they must provide the locals. I do not think it mandates Dish or Direct provide service in those States.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)