3/3/2010 1:51pm - Uplink Activity Report - 97 changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
HA HA yeah Shreveport no Hd, you have to be kidding all the small towns getting their HD and NOT Shreveport. Guess I will stay in Dallas! :rant:

E-14 hasn't launched yet. It will be better for you anyways since you won't have to change dishes and/or receivers.

They are putting our HD locals on Eastern Arc? Monroe-ElDorado

We have been Western Arc forever. ALL the HD dishes here are western arc. I don't mind changing, but I can't believe they uplinked them to 77.

They are putting our HD locals on Eastern Arc? Monroe-ElDorado

We have been Western Arc forever. ALL the HD dishes here are western arc. I don't mind changing, but I can't believe they uplinked them to 77.

Apparently those areas do not have it in the cards for E-14 beams.

I also see 2 more PBS HDs uplinked. I just wish I could get mine.

I believe those markets are missing a local channel or two due to the market size, so those do not surprise me to see them in HD.

Wow. Last week I moved into my new house. I was using 118 for my Pittsburgh locals, my new place has no LOS to 118 or 129 so I went ahead and "moved" back to my true locals from Washington DC. This week, Dish puts Pittsburgh locals on 77. I can't win!

Apparently those areas do not have it in the cards for E-14 beams.

They have our SD on western arc (on 110 to be exact). This is just weird to me that they would want to change that many dishes here.

Dish is VERY predominant here, because they are the only provider with our locals (well, other than comcast). Direct doesn't carry them.

Maybe that is a new money making strategy. Make everyone pay to get new dishes installed :)

I'll just stay in my Baton Rouge spotbeam on 129. I get my locals OTA fine.

I will admit that this move boggles my mind.

Emailed my engineer friend at a tv station in town (I'm in radio), regarding the Monroe, LA HD uplink. I won't say his name or where he works, but here was his response.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry,
I did not even know they were interested in local HD yet. I can tell you that Direct TV is soon to launch the local stations on their system. I would imagine they will provide the HD signals to their subs, but cannot guarantee it. The equipment for reception is being installed at this time...

Guess we'll have some more choices in town soon. Choices are good.

I would probably never leave dish though. I like my 722K too much. Best DVR I've ever had.

Last edited:
They have our SD on western arc (on 110 to be exact). This is just weird to me that they would want to change that many dishes here.

Dish is VERY predominant here, because they are the only provider with our locals (well, other than comcast). Direct doesn't carry them.

Maybe that is a new money making strategy. Make everyone pay to get new dishes installed :)

I'll just stay in my Baton Rouge spotbeam on 129. I get my locals OTA fine.

I will admit that this move boggles my mind.

They still haven't shown all the cards on the use of the 119 beams yet, but apparently they won't have no room for Monroe there. So there's no where else to put. So with people wanting more and more HD locals they have to put them somewhere.

I don't think they make any money off rolling a guy to your house to install a dish...they probably go in the hole a bit.

Good choice on the BR locals and OTA ;)

Emailed my engineer friend at a tv station in town (I'm in radio), regarding the Monroe, LA HD uplink. I won't say his name or where he works, but here was his response.
Sorry,
I did not even know they were interested in local HD yet. I can tell you that Direct TV is soon to launch the local stations on their system. I would imagine they will provide the HD signals to their subs, but cannot guarantee it. The equipment for reception is being installed at this time...

Guess we'll have some more choices in town soon. Choices are good.

I would probably never leave dish though. I like my 722K too much. Best DVR I've ever had.

If they are already getting the locals for SD, most of the time they pick them via OTA (sometimes they will co-locate their POP at one station and get that one direct since they are in the same building). They just upgrade their backhaul to carry the full HD instead of center cutting the HD feed and sending it back in SD to the uplink facility.

Of course there is the contract signing too, but usually the local stations don't hear about that either as Dish will deal with the parent company of the station. I've seen a few cases where the station engineer never knew Dish put up their station in HD on the satellite.

Nice Springfield locals. :)

About time! :D
This raises a lot of questions:

Did I miss it, what happened to FOX-6 which i owned by WGGB and transmits in HD, and the low power CSB owned by WSFB?

Hope those of us in Berkshires will be able to get WGBY - it is part of the state supported WGBH network , they claim the Berkshires as their home territory, it is on all the cable channels. Rules for PBS stations are different right?

Also I thought there was no room to add the Albany SD stations to EA. Not begrudging Springfield their stations, but the Albany DMA is much larger.

If they are already getting the locals for SD, most of the time they pick them via OTA (sometimes they will co-locate their POP at one station and get that one direct since they are in the same building). They just upgrade their backhaul to carry the full HD instead of center cutting the HD feed and sending it back in SD to the uplink facility.

Of course there is the contract signing too, but usually the local stations don't hear about that either as Dish will deal with the parent company of the station. I've seen a few cases where the station engineer never knew Dish put up their station in HD on the satellite.

I really posted that for the Direct tidbit. I wasn't expecting them to ever do locals in my market.

And yes, Dish has space on a tower downtown where they grab all our HD OTA. If I'm not mistaken, they have to pick it up OTA by law.

The best thing about my current combination of Baton Rouge/Monroe is that when my Monroe station has a problem (ie KAQY/ABC went crazy during the Lost premiere), I just flip on over to my Baton Rouge channel.

I am glad Dish is adding our HD locals. I'm also glad Direct is adding them. Competition and choice is good for everyone.

It does not concern me but my cousin lives in Pittsburgh and the locals on 77 is good news. My cousin has Comcast but might go back to Dish Network if he moves.

I always wondered why they had them on 118.7. Especially if you want a Dish 100.4 EA you had to mess with another dish even if you did not care about internationals.

I was still hoping they would have added TCM-HD though. I hope soon though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts