3/5/2014 3:32pm - Uplink Activity Report - 107 changes

Ok here is what I know or am hearing. It may or may not be correct but I am telling you what I know.

1) While the new contract has been signed it is not in effect yet. Dish is not paying for channels they currently do not carry. I don't know when it goes into effect.

2) I am told the new HD channels are coming into DISH via Fiber not Satellite. This is not getting a receiver and flipping a switch.

3) There is a lot of work on the backend that must be done including the installation of new encoders, routers, and miles of wires needed to all make it work. There is no clicking of a computer keyboard that will magically get them on screen. This backend work must be done.

4) While there could be some empty transponders up there, remember they must keep a few spares in case a satellite has an issue. And in some cases (as documented in the DISH SEC Filings) some satellites have transponders that don't work.

5) Dish is currently going through a technology upgrade and is swapping out old legacy receivers for new 8PSK/MPEG4 receivers. This swap was supposed to be completed last month but they did not make their deadline so they extended it until March 31st.

6) There is a huge channel / transponder swap scheduled for 3/27 which will reshuffle many channels on 129, 110, 119, 72.7, 61.5 and 118.7. While not confirmed I am hearing when they move the channels they are moving them new more efficiant encoders which not only provide as good or better PQ but use less bandwidth. The compressing technology keeps improving every day and DISH is investing a lot by constantly upgrading their encoders. This will open up more space.

A lot of people seem to think that because they had the channels that they can just hit a button and make them come back on. This is not the case, nor was the space from these channels saved, after a period of time the space went to bringing you other HD channels you want.

Ultimately there is a lot more that needs to be done then just getting a satellite receiver hooked up and then sending that signal out to viewers home. I wish I could bring you all to the uplink to see how it really works. You would be shocked how much work it takes to get a channel and get it to you. As I said the amount of cable they use is amazing!

I wouldn't expect the internet logins to WatchESPN and others to work until the same day and everything will probably be turned on on the date the new contract goes into effect.

Ultimately they are coming, and we know they are coming this Spring. Remember the saying... good things come to those who wait. :)

Thanks Scott for update!! :)

No rain fade. Relatively unlimited bandwidth. Ah... I have no idea if a fiber lease is more or less expensive than a satellite transponder.

Since Dish already has one of the larger fiber networks in the US, they probably had this connection already in the bag without it costing Dish anything.

Ok here is what I know or am hearing. It may or may not be correct but I am telling you what I know.

1) While the new contract has been signed it is not in effect yet. Dish is not paying for channels they currently do not carry. I don't know when it goes into effect.

2) I am told the new HD channels are coming into DISH via Fiber not Satellite. This is not getting a receiver and flipping a switch.

3) There is a lot of work on the backend that must be done including the installation of new encoders, routers, and miles of wires needed to all make it work. There is no clicking of a computer keyboard that will magically get them on screen. This backend work must be done.

4) While there could be some empty transponders up there, remember they must keep a few spares in case a satellite has an issue. And in some cases (as documented in the DISH SEC Filings) some satellites have transponders that don't work.

5) Dish is currently going through a technology upgrade and is swapping out old legacy receivers for new 8PSK/MPEG4 receivers. This swap was supposed to be completed last month but they did not make their deadline so they extended it until March 31st.

6) There is a huge channel / transponder swap scheduled for 3/27 which will reshuffle many channels on 129, 110, 119, 72.7, 61.5 and 118.7. While not confirmed I am hearing when they move the channels they are moving them new more efficiant encoders which not only provide as good or better PQ but use less bandwidth. The compressing technology keeps improving every day and DISH is investing a lot by constantly upgrading their encoders. This will open up more space.

A lot of people seem to think that because they had the channels that they can just hit a button and make them come back on. This is not the case, nor was the space from these channels saved, after a period of time the space went to bringing you other HD channels you want.

Ultimately there is a lot more that needs to be done then just getting a satellite receiver hooked up and then sending that signal out to viewers home. I wish I could bring you all to the uplink to see how it really works. You would be shocked how much work it takes to get a channel and get it to you. As I said the amount of cable they use is amazing!

I wouldn't expect the internet logins to WatchESPN and others to work until the same day and everything will probably be turned on on the date the new contract goes into effect.

Ultimately they are coming, and we know they are coming this Spring. Remember the saying... good things come to those who wait. :)

Thank you Scott for posting this detailed information. I care almost nothing about the Di$ney channels although my youngest still watches some of their programming and I realize a lot of people here do care. I care a bit more about ESPN as I like to catch some MLB games and like ESPN News for updates, but I could certainly live without, but I also realize they are very important to others. However, it is your ability to get this kind of information, in a timely manner, out to this site that keeps me a PAYING member. Once again you have delivered valuable pertinent information. This in a thread about a practically nothing uplink that garnered over a hundred replies. You Da Man!! :)

I would hope this change will be transparent and not require reaiming the dish.

On the Disney contract, I'm assuming that the give up AutoHop only affects Hopper owners. I don't expect any loss of the 30 second skip ahead on the VIP 722's.

Who has said anything about the 30-second skip-ahead function ?

Not sure of it's the case with this person, but I have read a few posts where people are thinking they are losing the 30 second skip, read one person who said no Hopper now for me of I can FF for three days

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hadn't heard anything but the idea of skipping commercials has always been an issue with content providers ever since VHS VCR's. When Dish introduced the Hopper it was really slapping them in the face with it because it was auto skip of every commercial. I only asked the question about 30 second skip, I didn't suggest anyone was making any claims. Also, I have not read through the whole thread and had no idea anyone else was asking about it too.

Any info on the reshuffle requiring reaiming the dish?

Posters here made it up or automatically assumed it was somehow included. There's no indication that it is.

I had read on another forum outside of sat guys where people were thinking commercial skipping would not be allowed for three days, but I think information has been updated for folks

I had read on another forum outside of sat guys where people were thinking commercial skipping would not be allowed for three days, but I think information has been updated for folks
I understand - it would be a lot less dramatic if people "outside of sat guys" (though people here either presumed it or read it elsewhere and brought it here) didn't jump to conclusions like that.

Think about it: Disabling (or delaying) AutoHop is one thing and doesn't appear to be complicated at all. Disabling 30-second skip-ahead, well, I can't imagine how they could do it on a network-by-network basis.

A contract being in place removed the potential for a dispute and channels being pulled which has a huge potential impact on Dish and Disney in terms of revenue. Denying the existence of a contract when one is in place could induce people to sell the stock when they otherwise wouldn't. And that's why the SEC would get involved.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No, not if it isn't material. As I have pointed out to you before, Dish has not filed an 8-K for any contracts that relate to carrying channels (including this one). So by default, they have determined that these types of contracts are not material. Therefore the SEC would not be involved.

Hall, just to set the record straight- I presumed it, on my own. I don't follow this stuff much these days here and certainly no where else so my interest is purely personal and how it might affect my use of my VIP722. I ask a question to be sure there is something I didn't miss, that this limitation ONLY affected Hopper owners, not VIP 722 owners. How the hopper owner deals with it is none of my concern and I don't care because I don't plan on having one here.

I didn't intend to cause any anxiety over my question, just wanted a simple answer. Same for the dish aiming question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)