3/5/2014 3:32pm - Uplink Activity Report - 107 changes

This thread reminds me of how fickle Dish subs on this site are.

Direct enters a dispute with Viacom and the channels go dark for a month, but everyone is supportive.

Dish avoids a dispute with Disney, the channels stay on for months while they negotiate a new contract and they get a deal done. Are people supportive of this? No, they complain the entire time about a deal not being done fast enough and that all the channels don't light up fast enough.

Sigh. Respect the process people, it's not magic.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Your timeline is off by years. Dish was supposed to get ESPNU HD at launch, August 2008! ESPN News and the Disney channels have been in SD for years. People have been waiting way beyond a month and are tired of not getting what most everyone gets.

I have been calling pre college football season for years asking about ESPNU HD and was told they are working on it...BS. so yeah, sigh, now they have it FINALLY ironed out, after YEARS, we want it. It hasn't been a month. Even the negotiations have been going on this time, for what, over half a year.

Last edited:
Your timeline is off by years. Dish was supposed to get ESPNU HD at launch, August 2008! ESPN News and the Disney channels have been in SD for years. People have been waiting way beyond a month and are tired of not getting what most everyone gets.

I have been calling pre college football season for years asking about ESPNU HD and was told they are working on it...BS. so yeah, sigh, now they have it FINALLY ironed out, after YEARS, we want it. It hasn't been a month. Even the negotiations have been going on this time, for what, over half a year.

Spot on. Agree with this 1000 %. Lots of Dish apologists on this board. (Sometimes I wonder if DIRT has a few site logins here and there, pretending to be one of us 'regular folk'.)

Your timeline is off by years. Dish was supposed to get ESPNU HD at launch, August 2008! ESPN News and the Disney channels have been in SD for years. People have been waiting way beyond a month and are tired of not getting what most everyone gets. I have been calling pre college football season for years asking about ESPNU HD and was told they are working on it...BS. so yeah, sigh, now they have it FINALLY ironed out, after YEARS, we want it. It hasn't been a month. Even the negotiations have been going on this time, for what, over half a year.
My timeline is just fine, you're the one going back beyond the scope of negotiations for this contract. But since you have, why don't I add in some of the details that you glossed over....

So you thought Dish should have just paid Disney twice for HD and SD? You do realize that that was why the extra Disney HD was pulled right? Disney wanted to charge Dish twice for the same damn content. Something that Dish did not feel was permissible given their most favored nation contract clause and the fact that Disney wasn't charging Direct twice. Sadly the courts ruled with Disney on that (which showed a complete lack of understanding about HD versus SD signals as opposed to separate content). So yes, given those circumstances, Dish refused to carry the HD version of those channels. Clearly, you don't feel the same way, but I for one am happy Dish did not go along with Disney's double payment plan. My bill is high enough without carriage costs doubling (or do you really think the other content providers would not have sought the same payment structure as Disney?). If having ESPNU, ESPN News, and the other Disney channels in HD was that important to you, you always had the option to go with a provider that carried them.

The contract renewal allowed them to renegotiate carriage of all channels with Disney, without the problematic parts of the prior contract anchoring them down. During the six months of negotiations (after the old contract expired) not a single channel was pulled, not a single threat was uttered. They simply worked on the contract and kept the service uninterrupted for subscribers. Low and behold, an agreement was reached. Nothing was pulled and content is set to be added and people are still complaining.

Spot on. Agree with this 1000 %. Lots of Dish apologists on this board. (Sometimes I wonder if DIRT has a few site logins here and there, pretending to be one of us 'regular folk'.)
And just as many people with unreasonable demands. A massive contract was worked out without any impacts to existing service and people are still complaining. If I'm Dish and I'm getting flak for this, then why shouldn't I play hardball with content owners and allow a dispute to occur to create leverage (since apparently either way people will resent my negotiating tactics)?

It would just be nice if Dish released something as to when each of these channels is coming on board, as well as WatchESPN, and the changes to Hopper for ABC programming. We're all speculating on the back end of what's going on. Good companies kill the grapevine and get specific, rather than let lingering discussions take control.

I believe they did...this spring. They probably can't get any more specific than that, thus they risk even more backlash if they give a hard date and it is missed.

It is. If someone has a different Idea or logic than you do, you consider them the devil and need to be converted to your way of thinking. He certainly has a way with words! :)

It is. If someone has a different Idea or logic than you do, you consider them the devil and need to be converted to your way of thinking. He certainly has a way with words! :)

lol yep

[h=1][/h]

Hey, if others can make things up, then why can't I make up a word or two? :D

I am not a dirt in disguise (somehow I feel I am in an AA meeting)...

I just think that the HD channels that were lost when the original dispute started should have been restored by now. Other new channels in HD of course would come as space permits...

I am not a dirt in disguise (somehow I feel I am in an AA meeting)...

I just think that the HD channels that were lost when the original dispute started should have been restored by now. Other new channels in HD of course would come as space permits...

You lost me on that one.

Haha, you said May! Some will have a meltdown over that ! Dish owes them those channels now.

Sent from my d2lte using Tapatalk

Maybe he still believes in the magic wiring fairy. :D

No I just believe that if they knew there was going to be a good chance that they would get the channels back they would go ahead and do the wiring needed and start clearing space on the satellites for the channels. It is the responsible business thing to do. They literally had months notice. Top dogs at Dish would know that the channels were coming well in advance of the final terms of the contract being ironed out.

And for all we know the wiring was completed months ago, or was never removed to start with. These are not some surprise new channels.

Personally I believe they have all the wiring done and are good to go on short notice at the uplink centers. They are just waiting on the contract.

The uplink guys were not told anything about the negotiations until the deal was done.

The old equipment used by these channels was not just sitting there for 3 years the equipment was used for other channels and the encoders were upgraded many times over.

Then there is work on Disneys side to work with Dish's it folks so that they can link systems together so that all the online stuff works.

I expect both to launch on the same day.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

No, the responsible thing is to NOT spend time and money on something that may not happen (for an unknown period of time).

If you have run a business you know that you have to prepare even if things do not happen. What is really lost? The uplink engineers are there anyways. This is just a few channels, it is not a satellite launch.

It is like you are the manager of a warehouse, higher ups tell you you might be getting in a large shipment if the deal with a company works out. During the off peak times you start to rearrange the warehouse to prepare for the shipment. If the shipment does not come, well no real harm, the warehouse is still arranged better. Do you really want to tell your boss that you did not prepare for something you knew might be coming during idle times, and the shipment arrives and you cannot accommodate it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)