3.7ghz vs 3.4ghz

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andyboy90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Edmonton, Canada
I am aware that a 3.4-4.2ghz lnb is not required in N.A because our C band operate on 3.7-4.2 spectrum. i was looking at norsat lnbs and was wondering if a 3.7-4.2 lnb has any benefits over 3.4-4.2 lnb. My only guess is that 3.7 would be better because it discards TI below 3.7 proving to be better for somebody like me living in a city. Am i correct in assuming this?

Yes the 3.7-4.2GHz LNB would not be affected as badly by TI below 3.7 GHz as long as it's a decent quality unit. There are eastern satellites that are receivable in the 3.4-3.7GHz range though and I believe these are circular polarized. You might be too far west to receive those signals though. If you have no chance of getting these signals (or not interested in them) then stick with the 3.7 to 4.2 units for sure.
Which LNBs are you looking at? Norsats are good, I have a few in use.. :) Others are good too, let us know other members will have experience with them and offer good opinions.

Reactions: Andyboy90
Yes the 3.7-4.2GHz LNB would not be affected as badly by TI below 3.7 GHz as long as it's a decent quality unit. There are eastern satellites that are receivable in the 3.4-3.7GHz range though and I believe these are circular polarized. You might be too far west to receive those signals though. If you have no chance of getting these signals (or not interested in them) then stick with the 3.7 to 4.2 units for sure.
Which LNBs are you looking at? Norsats are good, I have a few in use.. :) Others are good too, let us know other members will have experience with them and offer good opinions.
Thanks. I am thinking about getting a Norsat 5150R 3.7-4.2ghz +/- 150khz F-type

Think that's a PLL but only 150KHz stability for a PLL is a bit wide. usually PLLs are like 10-50KHz. Commonly used LNBs for C-band tvro are 8115 and 8215 DRO models that are not terrably expensive. Issue with PLL is the power required to run them, usually 250mA + which is a bit much for the average satellite receiver. You will require a power inserter and 18v 1amp power supply, maybe a bit more headroom on the amperage if you are running two (both polarities). It should work fine for FTA reception
I'll also mention there are PLL LNBFs available, these come with scaler and will do both polarities with one unit, and less than half price of an average LNB. Also, most satellite receivers will run these without the need for a power inserter. Check "Titanium Satellite".

Think that's a PLL but only 150KHz stability for a PLL is a bit wide. usually PLLs are like 10-50KHz. Commonly used LNBs for C-band tvro are 8115 and 8215 DRO models that are not terrably expensive. Issue with PLL is the power required to run them, usually 250mA + which is a bit much for the average satellite receiver. You will require a power inserter and 18v 1amp power supply, maybe a bit more headroom on the amperage if you are running two (both polarities). It should work fine for FTA reception
I'll also mention there are PLL LNBFs available, these come with scaler and will do both polarities with one unit, and less than half price of an average LNB. Also, most satellite receivers will run these without the need for a power inserter. Check "Titanium Satellite".
I already have the titanium C1-PLL and it works well for my use but I want to advance in this hobby and go with with something like a Polorator to control the skew with a LNB instead of LNBF. From what i have heard tighter stability is only required if trying to lock narrow TPs and 150khz is good for daily usage by a hobbyist

Reactions: Cham
I have several dual LNBFs in my system. Keeps it simple. Used to run a polarotor and LNBs but found it was too much trouble, especially when the motor would fail at -30. A step up for me would be going the orthomode transducer route. Difficult to justify for four C-band dishes that all work well as-is, cost would outweigh the benefit, and the department of private funding would complain! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts