3.82 software on the 811

vabell52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
ohio
Anyone else still having problems with the latest 3.82 software? The first 2 days with the 3.82, EPG worked fine, no more freezes, smart card errors or loss of info. I was so happy, thought all was fixed, but no, have seen same problems several times now, not as often, but this is still a real pain. I've called twice now prior to the 3.82 and rec'd a credit. This is getting soooo old. Would appreciate hearing how other 3.82 on the 811 are working. If I've missed the thread on this- my apologies.:confused:

811 problems here too.

Our 811 has worked like a champ until 3.82 downloaded. Now we have to reset the unit (by holding the power-switch 10 seconds) every morning because the guide loses all it's info everynight. I called and spoke to a tech that had me unplug the unit for 15 seconds. He said if that didn't fix it, I'd have to have the unit replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? I own the unit and a 510 and would probably just replace both with a 622 if I had to pay to replace the 811.

Don't you just love Dish! They screw up the function of your 811 with their hosed software updates, then tell you that you have to replace your 811, at your cost if you own it.

I've had an OTA digital channel decoding problem every since P381 with a channel I've been watching on my 811 for almost 3 years. Now it's kaput on the 811. Not the channel's fault as I decode it just fine on my LG LST4200A receiver. If it costs me a nickel to correct this problem with the 811 I'm probably a Comcast customer in waiting.

I am having the same problems with the smart card not authrozied on channels that I have? If I just leave it go it will swith from the smart card error then to the channel I am trying to view (with no picture) and no Info displayed on the top of the screen then it will switch back and fourth between those two screens between 5 to 12 times before it finally tunes into the channel I wanted. Anoying!!! and Dish too told me the receiver needs to be replaced (811)

Checked my 811 this am and had it on for 2 hrs OTA then went 150 switched as it should and the checked guide and all was fine so turned off unit. And I do have 3.82.

Mike

Happens to me too!

I am having the same problems with the smart card not authrozied on channels that I have? If I just leave it go it will swith from the smart card error then to the channel I am trying to view (with no picture) and no Info displayed on the top of the screen then it will switch back and fourth between those two screens between 5 to 12 times before it finally tunes into the channel I wanted. Anoying!!! and Dish too told me the receiver needs to be replaced (811)

I called and was told it's a known issue with the firmware. If I wait long enough (like 5 mins) it clears up. I usually just do a reboot though. I love how their firmware updates break simple things like this. <sarcasm>I worry that one day an update is just going to brick my 811 so I can find out they'll give me a great deal to upgrade.</saracasm> I am heavily considering FIOS TV right now. $50/month plus tax for their premier pack and HD offerings. Dish HD Bronze with locals would cost more than that, with fewer total channels. And, I'd have to pay the $49 upgrade fee to get the 211.

Over the past week, I have experienced the same type of problem(s)...EPG not downloading and having to do a hard re-set as well as to tolerate the "channel not authorized" message.

One of two possibilities here on Dishs' part. They want the 811s back to insert some sort of anti-hacking mods and give you one that they have modified or they want to wear you out until you get a newer unit with a required HD reception fee (for OTA) that you do not have to pay for with the 811. Since they have been mcuking around with the 501,508 etc with the "no DVR" fees I would guess that they are doing creative software downloads to maximize their subscription fees.

Too bad. They have always had my support and understanding. At some point the daily rebooting exercises will turn me away to seek alternatives that may not be any better.

I havnt had any problems at all with my 811. The only thing I do that may be the solution to no problems is leave it on 24/7. I do have to let it DL the EPG every other day but it works like a champ.

My 811 worked fine before the 3.81. And now with the 3.82 it still has problems. I've tried leaving receiver on 24/7, still loses EPG after viewing OTA for extended time. Only fix is cold reboot. JWC, I think you might be right. I'm still debating what to do here, as far as upgrade, etc., no local HD on sat. yet here in cincy. My roof antenna does a great job receiving the locals, so that's not an issue, but I would enjoy Food and HGTV in HD. My 18 month sub with E will expire in March. Reading what I can here to find the best receiver, package etc.
I'm so thankful for these forums, I've learned so much here and am sure I will continue to do so. Thanks to you all!

Over the past week, I have experienced the same type of problem(s)...EPG not downloading and having to do a hard re-set as well as to tolerate the "channel not authorized" message.

They want the 811s back to insert some sort of anti-hacking mods and give you one that they have modified or they want to wear you out until you get a newer unit with a required HD reception fee (for OTA) that you do not have to pay for with the 811.
Too bad. They have always had my support and understanding. At some point the daily rebooting exercises will turn me away to seek alternatives that may not be any better.

What is this "required HD reception fee" you talk about? Just curious as I just recently made the upgrade to the ViP 211 from an 811 & don't have such a fee & I also use OTA as well as SAT.
I will tell you this: I, being an 811 owner for about 2 years, was extremely hesitant about making the upgrade. But honestly I just got tired of the constant and on-going problems with the "smart card 005 error" & there seemed to be no fix in sight. So I switched out of frustration, but now that I have, what a difference a receiver can make! There is no comparison to receivers. Now granted I don't have the HDMI issue many talk about on the 211 forum because I use component for my video from the 211 to my display. But even with component, the colors are so much richer, etc. I could go on & on, but this is not the 211 forum so I won't.....

Ken

You pay an "enabling fee" (about 5 or 6 bucks) to allow the 211 to receive the local OTA in HD. You also lose the ability to receive the analog channels. This fee is waived if you subscribe to any of the metalic packages. In my case I dropped my HD packages (after 5 years) because it was not (content) what I enjoyed, except for the loacal network programs in HD. So while I still have 811 problems, I do enjoy the ability of the 811 to receive the locals OTA in HD, as well as the upconverting of the SD channels to 1080i.

I understand that a new receiver, the 381 will satisfy my present needs but I do not know if it is available or whether they will swap my leased 811 with the 381. In any case I am not ready to do the MPEG 4 switch over.

the update screwed up my 811 as well.

these engineers are genius

now when I get the no info bug it is follow with an unauthorised smart card error, so great I can't even watch my friggin programming until a reboot.

Hello, I am new to this forum and I need some help. I had a 811 receiver that worked for over year and gave me HD on my local channels via my off air antenna. This receiver just went dark, no power lights. Got new receiver and now I cannot receive the local channels. I got a second replacement and it has the same problem. Dish support thinks it's a s/w problem, and said to check back in a couple of weeks. Sorry to ramble but just wanted know if this is a known problem and if there are others out there waiting like me. Thanks for you assistance. Txswede

Don't you just love Dish! They screw up the function of your 811 with their hosed software updates, then tell you that you have to replace your 811, at your cost if you own it.

I've had an OTA digital channel decoding problem every since P381 with a channel I've been watching on my 811 for almost 3 years. Now it's kaput on the 811. Not the channel's fault as I decode it just fine on my LG LST4200A receiver. If it costs me a nickel to correct this problem with the 811 I'm probably a Comcast customer in waiting.

I procrastinated doing anything about this problem because I had more important things to do. Lo and behold, P384 was loaded recently and my OTA digital channel decoding problem is no more. However, now I have the No Info in the EPG problem back. Hello Comcast...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts