3 BUDs and 4 Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I never planned to have more than one BUD and really can't figure out why there is one on the 'Pole' and three on the ground (awaiting a Pole).

I wanted to be conservative since my best view is from the side of my front yard and I live in a small conservative (rep. :rolleyes:) community.

I'm now looking at a location(s) for one or two more pole to mount one or two of the WineGard/Zenith 10ft sectional mesh.

No problem with analog boxes I have over a half dozen that work pretty good. Plus a 905 sidecar.

With the help of some good forum members, I have found the reason I was having problems with my HDD tv. In addition to the HDMI from my D**h box, I still have three video inputs to hook my FTA inputs to.

That problem solved, then how do you quickly (easily) switch between receivers and BUDs. Since I will only have one 4DTV receiver, I might need to switch to a different BUD due to blocked veiw of the Clark Belt.

I see most have many more dishes and receivers than I and I just wonder how you all deal with this or if you just 'hard-wire' everything.

This all reminds me of my early (very early) days in computers (mid '70s) and you always new who was a Computer Hacker. He never put the cover back on his computer case. :D

Let me know how you all deal with the interconnection and display question.

Steve:)

Steve, the easiest way I know of (I'm assuming you are talking about running everything to one tv set) is to treat all 3 BUDs as separate systems and just run the output from each receiver to a different input on your tv.

Then you select which one you want to watch by selecting the corresponding input on your tv.

If you are lacking inputs on your tv there are multi input (composite, component, S-video, HDMI, etc.) switches that will allow you to send whichever input you want to select to your tv input(s).

If you are talking about having your 4DTV receiver controlling more than one dish I don't have a clue how to do that, my knowledge of switches/multi-switches and home-brewed component-level circuitry solutions is about nil.

Luckily for you (us) there are some guys here that have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and are willing to share their expertise with dummies like me (us). :D

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If each receiver is dedicated to one task/dish, then hard-wiring it will make things a lot simpler. We have the opposite problem in that any viewing position may want to use any satellite. We centralized the receivers and distribute the channels that are selected over our LAN. This requires a fairly complex switching matrix that allows any receiver to couple to any dish/band/polarization without regard to what any other receiver is doing. Multiswitches and DiSEqC switches are very helpful in this regard, but the problem is more complicated for analog and 4DTV. We have both of those and I have worked around some of these limitations.

HDMI switch:

My HDTV has only one HDMI input. So far, that's been okay.
FTA receivers are connected via S-video, Composite, and Component cables (the TV has two of each).
Knowing I'd need more HDMI inputs, I found this 3-input switch on sale recently, and ordered it.
The current price is only $5 more than what I paid, and I'd still consider it a bargain.
Especially since it comes with cables.

edit:
Oh, re-reading your original post, maybe this isn't quite what you were looking for.
Sorry 'bout that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts