3 Dish Receivers, swapping out Dish pro with Turbo HD Dish questions

Garfield236

Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Phoenix
I am doing a rewrite on a poorly worded earlier post. I have a Dish PRO (legacy 2 lnb) Dish TV antenna. It connects to a DPP44 switch. From there the cables go to three Dish TV receivers. One is a 311, one is an VIP622 DVR, one is an 811. :)

I see the two cables go from the Dish Pro into the DPP44 . I am disconnecting the Dish pro and connecting a Turbo HD 1000.x Dish, and notice that is has 4 outputs labeled 1, 2, 3 and 4. The one labeled 4 also has a label on it marked LNB IN. I do not know what this is for. I think that I would disconnect the two cables from the Dish Pro 500 and connect the "Turbo" HD Dish to Port 1 to 119 LNB, Port 2 to 110 LNB, Port 3 to 129.

Now I think if I am looking straight on the LNB's - so I can see the whiites of their plastic - LNB 1 is on far right, 110 is to it's left, and 129 to it's left. Let me know what you see as dangerous or will not work.

I also saw somewhere someone mention that the Turbo HD Dish 1000.x uses a built in switch DPP34 or something like that. I want to make sure I don't fry anything except eggs.:eek:

Thanks

I am doing a rewrite on a poorly worded earlier post. I have a Dish PRO (legacy 2 lnb) Dish TV antenna. It connects to a DPP44 switch. From there the cables go to three Dish TV receivers. One is a 311, one is an VIP622 DVR, one is an 811. :)

I see the two cables go from the Dish Pro into the DPP44 . I am disconnecting the Dish pro and connecting a Turbo HD 1000.x Dish, and notice that is has 4 outputs labeled 1, 2, 3 and 4. The one labeled 4 also has a label on it marked LNB IN. I do not know what this is for. I think that I would disconnect the two cables from the Dish Pro 500 and connect the "Turbo" HD Dish to Port 1 to 119 LNB, Port 2 to 110 LNB, Port 3 to 129.

Now I think if I am looking straight on the LNB's - so I can see the whiites of their plastic - LNB 1 is on far right, 110 is to it's left, and 129 to it's left. Let me know what you see as dangerous or will not work.

I also saw somewhere someone mention that the Turbo HD Dish 1000.x uses a built in switch DPP34 or something like that. I want to make sure I don't fry anything except eggs.:eek:

Thanks

Port 4 is for a second dish only and can be left open. Ports 1, 2 and 3 are direct connections for 3 tuners. Run two cables from any two ports directly to the tuners of the 311 and 811. No switches in between. Run a third cable directly to a dpp separator. Run the output of the separator to the two tuners of the VIP622 DVR. The LNB has a built in switch. Sats 110, 119 and 129 are available on all three output ports.

Last edited:
Again, I must be not writing this too well. here is the scenario. Everything has been connected. Dish Pro 500 on the roof, connected to DPP44, connected to 311, 811, and VIP622 DVR. I am not planning to touch any cabling that goes from the switch to the receivers. I am only installing a new HD dish. It says Turbo HD on it, I imagine it is a 1000.x. I am probably making this more complicated than it is, but I need to be sure so that if something starts giving off smoke or sparks my darling wife is not asking me if I was sure what I was doing (LOL).
Not sure if that helps to clarify but hope it does.
Back to the original questions:

I see the two cables go from the Dish Pro into the DPP44 . I am disconnecting the Dish pro (from the left side of the DPP44) and connecting a Turbo HD 1000.x Dish, and notice that the Turbo HD Dish has 4 outputs labeled 1, 2, 3 and 4. The one labeled 4 on the dish also has a label on it marked LNB IN. I do not know what this is for. I think that I would disconnect the two cables from the Dish Pro 500 and connect the "Turbo" HD Dish to Port 1 to 119 LNB, Port 2 to 110 LNB, Port 3 to 129.

I also saw somewhere someone mention that the Turbo HD Dish 1000.x uses a built in switch DPP34 or something like that. I want to make sure I don't fry anything except eggs.

Thanks again for the patience.

what he is saying is that you no longer need the DPP44 because the 1000.x dishes have a switch built in. Just get rid of that and run three cables from the dish (connected to the 1 2 and 3 ports directly to the receivers. Depending on where you dish is vs where the DPP44 was you may need to run addtional cable to make this work.

OK. That helps. So I run a cable straight from one of the ports on the Turbo HD Dish. Examples:
Port 1 --> VIP622 DVR; Port 2 --> 311; Port 3 --> 811.
The plan is to use the VIP622 DVR signal strength indicator to tune it in. (or do I need to run a check switch first) Then run the check switch on the VIP622 DVR. After it comes up good, it should see 110, 119, and 129 (or am I looking for something other than 129?). Then do the same on the 311 and the 811.
Thanks!

OK. That helps. So I run a cable straight from one of the ports on the Turbo HD Dish. Examples:
The plan is to use the VIP622 DVR signal strength indicator to tune it in. (or do I need to run a check switch first) Then run the check switch on the VIP622 DVR. After it comes up good, it should see 110, 119, and 129 (or am I looking for something other than 129?). Then do the same on the 311 and the 811.
Thanks!

I just did something similar and you are on the right track. I only updated the dish on a single receiver and there are some things you need to know. My receiver was a new 211K, so things may be different for your setup.

When I just ran a check switch, the receiver didn't know what it was looking at and gave out "can't find satellites codes". What I had to do was run a check switch with the cable disconnected, and that cleared out the original Dish 500 info. Then I did a reset and it found the dish 1000.2 and all was ok. Just an FYI for you.

Thanks!
You can run a check switch on the DVR before connecting the 1000.2 to clear the settings. You want to acquire 119 on the center lnb. Cover the outer two with foil so neither of those can get on 119. Once 119 signal is present, remove the foil and run check switch. Then check for signal for all three sats and peak on 119. Then run check switch on the other two receivers. Note, always have the receivers disconnected from power outlet when connecting or disconnecting tuner cables. Don't want to zap the LNB.

Thanks - I will do that - one more item - because my current setup is running three receivers, there is a DPP44 Power inserter inline on the third receiver. Should I just remove this as it is no longer needed? Or is there something I will need in it's place? Meaning - does the switch in the 1000.x need any power insertion like the DPP44 did?

In the middle of running check switches on this new config - did run the checkswitch while disconnected to clear it out - then I got no indication that it found the satellite - using a "inline "Satellite finder" - when I get tone I ran a check switch and it found 110 and 119. Then did it again and instead of 110 and 119 it said Conn. What is that? Now trying to use the VIP622 DVR to run checkswitch - and it says reception problem....

Sounds like you are picking up the wrong satellites with the wrong LNBFs. Select 119 and put it on transponder 11. It should show you the signal strength. Then cover the middle LNB (this is the one that should be getting 119). If it doesn't drop to zero then you are off. Swing it over a bit and you'll be fine.

No need for a tech, aiming a dish isn't a big deal and I applaud the OP for doing it himself. An educated consumer is a good consumer.

Thanks. Well there is a method to my madness. Our roof is being replaced and being paid for by insurance. They are paying for the uninstall and reinstall of the dish. I figure I can do this myself, as I own an RV and set up and pointing a dish to the satellite all the time when we are out in it. . Sometimes it is not as easy as other times. I had to give up and go back to the old set up (they have not started the roof work yet). Tomorrow I will try to make sure of which lnb I am connected to. The problem I have been having is this - I know when I usually get a signal. But I never even got a bite on it today which I find unusual. Even if I get 110 and have it configured for 119 I would expect to get a signal with a 'wrong 'sat' message.

Bob5519 said:
Port 4 is for a second dish only and can be left open. Ports 1, 2 and 3 are direct connections for 3 tuners. Run two cables from any two ports directly to the tuners of the 311 and 811. No switches in between. Run a third cable directly to a dpp separator. Run the output of the separator to the two tuners of the VIP622 DVR. The LNB has a built in switch. Sats 110, 119 and 129 are available on all three output ports.

Just get Directv one line one box!!

In the middle of running check switches on this new config - did run the checkswitch while disconnected to clear it out - then I got no indication that it found the satellite - using a "inline "Satellite finder" - when I get tone I ran a check switch and it found 110 and 119. Then did it again and instead of 110 and 119 it said Conn. What is that? Now trying to use the VIP622 DVR to run checkswitch - and it says reception problem....

Found this in another thread.

"Conn just means it sees an LNB connection of some unknown type."

Bob - Thanks - I will need to check into this as only a single cable runs to the 622. I will need to follow it. I thought only one cable came into the 622.

Not there yet... still trying to put the HD dish up

SO they finally got the new roof on.

While all this was going on I had been trying toi use a second Dish 500 that I tried connecting to. When I get close to 119 and 110 the Dish seems pointed at a more extreme angle to the South East , and higher up, not pointed to the horizon as much but more to the sky. I have only been able to get one receiver to work at a time. And only one of the satellites to connect. The 311 by itself or the 811 by itself with the inline power running, even with the DPP4 not inline. I never got the DVR to connect or even show any signal more than 10 or 12 or so. But after running check switch it would say no connections but showed the switch is a DPP44 w separator.
Now I want to connect the new HD Turbo dish. I think I should have what I need, I have listened to you say to cover all but the 119 LNB and then try to find 119. Questions - Is that all? Is the DP444 separator all else I should need? And - if I find 119 then the other satellite is 110 and what should the third be?

Thanks

It works but no HD Dish connected yet

One more question.. I put the old Dish 500 back in the same holes and it's all back to normal. I believe I can set up the HD Dish and just wire it to the other connectors on the DPP44 right? Should I only connece one of the LNB's (the HD one) to it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts