3 hopper install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

all4jo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Haiti and lexington ky
hey guys , i have 2 hoppers 3 joeys and i had an appointment for install for this Am for a 3rd hopper and removal of one joey. installer came and said its not possible, that he would need to install a 2nd dish, so he called Dish and they said that it looks like a 3rd is allowed but other info says its not. what do you guys think?

3 is allowed, takes a bunch of switches tho.
attachment.php

I think installers are still getting trained, my installer last night didn't even know about 3 hoppers until I showed him this diagram. I hate to be the guy that has to do this, about 20 runs of coax.

well at least for me i already have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys installed so he would have just needed to install the switches. i just wonder if his installation company frowns upon using so many switches.

3 is allowed, takes a bunch of switches tho.

attachment.php

That's 3HaloODST's diagram I think, and I pretty much know he runs three Hoppers.
Dish won't lease 3 so I presume you're buying the 3rd?
I'm not even sure if Dish sanctions triple Hooper installs. The few that have them have indicated they self installed. regardless it doable and folks are doing it.
If Dish is leasing a 3rd let me know, I'm into it....:coffee

356B said:
That's 3HaloODST's diagram I think, and I pretty much know he runs three Hoppers.
Dish won't lease 3 so I presume you're buying the 3rd?
I'm not even sure if Dish sanctions triple Hooper installs. The few that have them have indicated they self installed. regardless it doable and folks are doing it.
If Dish is leasing a 3rd let me know, I'm into it....:coffee

Third one has to be purchased :) . People have been known to get Dish to install the third, purchased Hopper though. Particularly during the initial install of the other two. That diagram should help the installers out. Having Dish install the system may also save on switch/node/cabling costs. Not sure on that one though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

what could you possibly need more than 2 for? 6 tuners all day and 9 during prime time isn't enough? And the 3rd wouldn't be able to to see the other 2.

brad1138 said:
what could you possibly need more than 2 for? 6 tuners all day and 9 during prime time isn't enough? And the 3rd wouldn't be able to to see the other 2.

Not everyone uses PTAT for one thing. For another, with 4+ TVs and 4+ family members, sometimes 6 just plain isn't enough. Look again at the diagram. All receivers can see each other when set up properly.

Here's a pic of my setup's whole-home menu :-

image-2771233534.jpg

One other thing to note is that even if the MoCA is not properly set up, if all receivers are on the same LAN (WiFi, Ethernet, etc.) they can see each other and communicate over the LAN anyway. MoCA preferred where possible, of course.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

As for the first part of your comment us our household! We use more then 9 tuners during primetime.

2nd part: Wrong they can all three see each other.

Edit: also for Halo's diagram you can use two dpp44 switch's instead of a dpp44 and 33 in case they don't don't have a 33 around mine didn't have a 33 with him or in the warehouse so we just used two dpp44 switches. And you can convince dish to install the third hopper you just have to buy the machine outright and have it there when they install or at least that was the case for me. You have to have it cleared with dish network before the install though. BTW Solid signal seems to be the cheapest place to get one. But if you in a hurry the place that is installing your system for you might make you a better deal then say radioshack.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts