3 Months Of Voom Is All I Can Take

txcruiser

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
I signed up in May and got 3 receivers. My current bill is around $82 including taxes.

The first OTA antenna was didn't cut it , so I easily got approved for a larger one. I still couldn't get my local sports OTA station (in digital format). While that's not VOOM's fault, I still have to count it as a "negative" against VOOM since everyone else can provide it.

Another "negative" is the stb software. It locks up on occasion and takes a reset. Well the reset is tricky, if you don't do it just a certain way, the program guide might take hours to reappear instead of 20-30 minutes (still way too long in my opinion). This is very hard to explain to family members since I don't understand it either!

The biggest problem is rain fade. It literally only takes a shower to knock out my reception. Dish Network at least took a heavy downpour to get knocked out. Of course, around my neighborhood, most of the rain occurs in the evening (perfect viewing time) after a long hot day. There is nothing more irritating than losing the signal. I keep hearing about a new larger dish coming, but no real details.

The price would go up for me in Jan 2005 another 10 bucks.
All I have seen so far is 1 software update, and channels USA (channel of no use) and TNT-HD added. TNT-HD was great for about 2 or 3 games.
The Spinks fight was great as well as coverage of the DNC.

I'll probably get killed in the forum for saying this but I'm switching to Comcast Cable. I'm sure there are lots of negatives with Comcast but here is what i'll be getting...

--All Local and Community Access channels
--Locals in HDTV, ESPN HD , INHD, INHD2
--4 outlets (2 analog/2 digital)
--HD Receiver/HD PVR (i have never had one before, so any kind of pvr will probably look good to me)
--SD PVR
--RSN
--$25 Credit for 16 months ($400) for switching from a satellite provider
-- With the credit my bill will be approx $57 including taxes
-- everything is leased/no long time committments
-- Who knows what I will do after i get my $400 in credits??

Bottom line
VOOM is a cool bleeding edge satellite tv provider. But it's not for the average guy with a family who doesn't have the same passion for HDTV in its infancy stage. In reality I don't get to watch much TV anyway. I have spent alot more time in this forum than actually watching any tv.

I hope VOOM doesn't give me a hard time when I cancel later this week.
From what I have read, getting money credited back to your account can be quite a task.

txcruiser said:
--$25 Credit for 16 months ($400) for switching from a satellite provider

Doesnt the cable company normally take the equipment?
Unless you bought it outright, Voom will come and get the equipment. Is the cable company taking your word?

The cable company will not take your equipment if it is leased equipment. You just have to show them a current bill (from Voom) that shows this.
I got my proof from the Voom Member Only billing page.

sounds like your cable co is a better deal but there are MANY places where this is not the case.... my local just started with Hd about a month ago and they have one local HD, ESPN, DiscHD and INHD1&2, for that they want an extra 10 bucks for the HD package plus 10 bucks per receiver to rent. ontop of you have to have baisc digital cable at 60 bucks a month (which is already higher than what i pay for all of voom just for basic digital cable).

What is your signal strength on average? I used to get daily rain/cloud fade until I went out and peaked the dish using the signal meter on the tv, it has not happened since (I average 93 on the signal). Three times the local installers came out to peak it and the best they could do at the dish was a 75 (they were peaking the wrong sat.)

As for your STB, I have three and none of them have ever locked up, it must be a bad box, VOOM will replace it if you tell them about it. Good luck.

kaw

$25/month credit? Lucky dog. Good luck. It sounds like you got a better deal, and maybe some Voomers reading your post who live in Dallas now have some good choices to consider.

My sat. signal strenght has always been around 95/96. So I don't think there is much left to do.
I think most users have experienced lockup issues at one time or another on their stb. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't.
I will be nice to have the OTA antenna and Voom Dish removed (even though my wife hasn't complained) I still have 2 E* Dishes mounted as well up there that maybe I'll finally take down as well.

Well, something has to be causing the signal to fade, it should not be that bad with a signal that good. Maybe it is a bad box? Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter now, I am glad you found a good deal and hope that works out better for you. My cable company in Ruston (Cox) is the devil, they don't even offer HD ("but they are working on it" :rolleyes: ) and if they ever do they will probably try to charge me $100 a month for it. Good luck.

kaw

Kawdog,

Since I have 3 receivers I was able to experiment quite a bit during these 3 months. All to no avail. With the latest new customer monthly pricing and install fees that VOOM has started, unfortunately I don't think they will be around for very long. I thought I better take my $400 now just in case since the fine print in the Comcast offer mentions that Primestar customers are not eligible since they are no longer an active provider. I didn't want the same thing said about Voom. I will miss all the HD Olympics coverage that it looks like Voom will be tapping into over the next couple of weeks. Enjoy!

Dude,

Don't you know the new forums rules-complaints against Voom are FORBODDEN!! LMAO...

Anyways good luck, and if your cable co. sucks- keep your eyes out, Voom may still right it's ship.

jagouar said:
sounds like your cable co is a better deal but there are MANY places where this is not the case.... my local just started with Hd about a month ago and they have one local HD, ESPN, DiscHD and INHD1&2, for that they want an extra 10 bucks for the HD package plus 10 bucks per receiver to rent. ontop of you have to have baisc digital cable at 60 bucks a month (which is already higher than what i pay for all of voom just for basic digital cable).
Jagouar took the words right out of my mouth. I have heard that Comcast is the leader when it comes to HD on cable. I could tell you TWC in my area has CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, WNET, HBO, SHO, and Disc in HD....thats it. And if you dont sub to the HBO pack or Sho pack you dont get the HD ch's. So basic will bring you 6 HD ch's with 5 of them being local ch'S for 55 bucks a mth. Voom wins hands down in my area...but yours is a little different with INHD1 and 2. Also, I dont have all of the rain fade problems that people seem to be having. Since the new software download I have had some receiver lockups when I go to check the sig strength of a local ch. Very annoying to have to reboot.

txcruiser said:
Bottom line
VOOM is a cool bleeding edge satellite tv provider. But it's not for the average guy with a family who doesn't have the same passion for HDTV in its infancy stage. In reality I don't get to watch much TV anyway. I have spent alot more time in this forum than actually watching any tv.
Well, hey, at least you gave Voom a shot!

And a fair assessment if you ask me.

Sorry you found out it's not for you. But good luck! :wave

Actually the channels Comcast is currently offering in my area are

ESPN HD
DISCOVERY HD THEATER
INHD
INHD 2
ABC HD
NBC HD
CBS HD
FOX HD
PBS HD
HBO HD
CINEMAX HD
SHOWTIME HDTV
STARZ! HD

I know it's nothing close to Voom but it's a good start.
Plus I'll be getting to play with an HD DVR by this Friday!!!
Voomers can't claim that yet! The last Voom CSR told me it won't be available till January now.

I also wish you luck. I have had DTV, DISH and Comcast in the Indianapolis area witch may be different than in your area. Comcast also offered HDTV. Without the HDTV programs my bill was $20 a month more than DTV. They also charged extra for HDTV. In one year they raised the price 3 times and charge tax plus a franchise fee of about $6 and they also charge a Digital A/O fee of $13 so the monthly price is always about $10 to $15 more than what they quote you.They also require a 1 yr or more commitment. Comcast charge for everything so I feel they were the worst of the four.
I love Voom and I feel for what they offer they are the cheapest.

I was a cable subscriber many years ago and swore I wouldn't ever go back, but I'm ready to give it a second chance (first w/ Comcast). Voom needs to be more competitive in pricing for homes that don't have more than 1 hd tv (the vast majority of us today). 92 bucks for 3 receivers come January 1st is just too steep for what they are providing. I guess the $400 credit is the main real reason I'm switching. I just hope they don't experience rain fade like my last cable experience else I'm back to square one. I haven't tried D* but that might come next. I like not having any commitments when signing up. Flexibility is important to me.

The problem with cable I read is that most providers are out of room to add much more HD until they get rid of their analog channels which might take a few years.

txcruiser,

Comcast's HD receivers locked up a lot more than Voom's have ever done for me and showing PG/switching channels is extremely slow. I hope for your sake they have fixed that problem because it was very annoying and one of the major reasons for me switching to Voom.

Not true...

txcruiser said:
...I think most users have experienced lockup issues at one time or another on their stb. Consider yourself lucky if you haven't...
Two boxes, 3 months+, no lockups. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)