3 or more fta recievers on one dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
How do I wire up any 3 fta receivers or more to one dish? My current set up has one lnbf on 36 " geosat pro and 1.2 meter motorized. I have one 4 port diseq switch. I want only my living room receiver to use the motorized dish. Currently it does that, both the 36" and the 1.2 meter. Want to keep it that way. The rest of the receivers on the 36". What is the best way? Note: in the future I intend to have multiple lnbf's on the 36".

You need a switch like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14062967074...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1257wt_931

Then, you need a dual-output lnb like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/27120311589...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1198wt_931

So, the 4 inputs of that switch means it'll handle TWO dual-output lnbs (1 line Horizontal, and 1 Vertical). One lnb the outputs get hooked to LNB1/V and LNB1/H (22k OFF) the other lnb (if you have one on another dish or whatever) would get hooked to LNB2/V and LNB2/H 22k ON

The connections to the receivers are labeled, and that switch will handle 4 receivers as-is. It can be cascaded with a Diseqc switch for various mods.

So my current multi switch will not be used? I have to run 3 more wires:confused:? Is there no way to use one wire back to the house? Its well over 90 feet.

Hmm..., actually now that I think about it wouldn't I just keep my current 4 port multi switch installed "as it is", including the wire running from input on the motor all the way to my first receiver and just replace the current lnbf on the geosat pro 36" with the one you suggested. Then run an additional wire from the "new" multi output lnbf to the ecoda ms44 switch you pointed out? Will the other three outputs/wires "if need be" run to the other receivers be enough. I guess what i am asking is. This duel output lnbf, attached to both my 4 port desec switch and the other on the ecoda. Will that work?

Just to be clear of the current set up again so I can be less confusing. Openbox s9 hd/ wire up the hill about 90+ feet to the motor on the 1.2 meter dish/ the "lnb in" on motor is wired to the output on the diseq switch/ ports 1 to motorized dish lnbf and port 2 to fixed geosat 36" fixed dish. I only want one receiver to be able to use motorized dish.

You get more confusing with every post you throw out. I have less idea now of what you have then when this thread started. I suggest you make us up a wiring diagram in Paint to show us exactly what you have now, and how it's wired. THEN, give us the brand names of your present switch, OR photos of it (better) A Diseqc switch can NOT feed more than one single receiver. A Diseqc switch is NOT the same as a "multi switch".

There's multiple ways of doing what you want, but we can't help if you insist on referring everything back to the way it is at present, which isn't what you said you wanted in the end.

my satelite set up.png

View attachment 93025

This is what I am asking how to do

Good, those drawings make ALL the difference in understanding.

Ok, that switch is a Diseqc switch, and can only support a single receiver.

Now, what you do, is you ALSO buy that new additional multi-switch I posted in my first reply, and the dual lnb. You need the dual output lnb to replace the single output lnb you are pointing at with your blue arrow on port 2 of the diseqc switch. That's the only way to do this, and get both H and V transponders (well, the easiest way...)

You then put a coax jumper wire in place of the single output lnb presently on your Diseqc switch. Hook the other end to one of the Receiver IN's on the new multi-switch. Then, hook the new dual lnb up to lnb1/H and lnb1/V (22k OFF side) on the additional new multi-switch. You then hook the two NEW receivers up to any of the receiver ports on the additional multi-switch (they have no connection to the present diseqc switch, YES, you will have to run two new coax cables, one for each receiver). So, the two new receivers and the jumper, will take 3 of the 4 ports on the new switch.

The two new receivers are set for: standard lnb, 22k OFF. They can only see the dual lnb. But, in the future you could add another dual lnb to lnb2/H and lnb2/V (that's 22k ON)

Your present receiver would be set to: standard lnb, port 1 (for "motorized dish lnb"). To access the dual lnb, your present receiver would need to be set: standard lnb, port 2, 22k OFF (that will switch to port 2 of the diseqc switch, which jumps to the multi-switch, and selects the dual lnb)

Simple, huh? There's going to be a bit of money outlay, but this is probably the simplest way to do what you want. It also leaves some lee-way for future expansion.

Last edited:
View attachment 93035 Is this what you mean?

That's it exactly!

p.s. You don't HAVE to use the Geosatpro dual lnb. ANY dual lnb will work, just make sure to get a standard one (10750) for this setup. The Geosatpro is a great lnb though, and that's the way I use one. Don't use a Universal lnb on the 22k off side.

p.p.s Actually, if needed you COULD use a dual universal lnb on the 22k ON side, if you change your receivers to Universal lnb, 22k ON for a particular satellite. This particular 22k multi-switch will pass the 22k signal. NO other multi-switchs will do that, ONLY this Ecoda model will.

Last edited:
oh. Well I think what I want to do has been answered. Just have to wait until I have the money to do it. By the way happy thanksgiving + Hanukkah. This will never happen again and is the first that it has.

I thought I was done with this but it appears I have another question regarding this set up. Would a quad lnbf be better than a dual? And if so could a quad lnbf do everything that the "dual lnbf and the multi switch" are intended to do in this set up? Or would the quad lnbf just give me to add more receivers.

Yes, the 4 output would work fine. The only down side is that quad outputs are usually available in universal LO type. I am sure that one exists somewhere, but I haven't seen one. Using a universal type will limit future expansion to DiSEqC switching as the universal LNBFs have a built-in 22Khz switch for band switching.

Educate me. Universal LO type is compared to what? What LO mean? How would it be different than Ecoda 22KHz Tone 4x4 Multi Satelite FTA Switch - 0/22 KHz combined with a dual lnbf?:confused: IS it that we don't want the lnbf doing the switching or something?

Educate me. Universal LO type is compared to what? What LO mean? How would it be different than Ecoda 22KHz Tone 4x4 Multi Satelite FTA Switch - 0/22 KHz combined with a dual lnbf?:confused: IS it that we don't want the lnbf doing the switching or something?

Maybe start by reviewing this FAQ that I wrote about LNBFs. The FAQ should answer many LNB related questions. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/301707-LNB-LO-Frequency-101

A universal type LNBF has a built-in 22Khz switch to select high band (used in North America) and low band (used in the rest of the world). An external switch that is controlled by 22Khz ON/OFF commands would be in conflict with the internal switch. Both the external switch and the internal switch would be triggered by the same tone command.

Last edited:
Too much thinking can cause "installation paralysis". Been there, and done that!

You have plenty of information to do what you first asked. If you keep asking questions before getting some real experience of doing/changing your present setup and dealing with any questions/issues afterwards, you'll never get it done or really understand the WHYS of it. Your brain will start to sort it out while you are doing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)