3 Receiver ( Audit Question )

Stargazer said:
It is their fault for not enforcing it. They know that they may lose a lot of subscribers by requiring the phone line.

Exactly! If Dish were serious about this they would make the phone connection an absolute requirement, but we all know that's not going to happen. :rolleyes:

NightRyder

Well guess what it sounds like they are making it an absolute requirement by enforcing there policy now and your all b*tch*ng because they are.

I find it hard to belive that there are that many people garages 300 yards away on this site and there cordless phones or cell phone will not get reception where all the receivers are located on there property.

rowemance said:
Well guess what it sounds like they are making it an absolute requirement by enforcing there policy now and your all b*tch*ng because they are.

By "absolute requirement" we mean no phone connection, no service. Stargazer is right on the money, Dish will never pull the trigger on that because it would cost them big. So Dish will continue to allow systems to be installed without phone lines connected, and then complain and threaten when they aren't. Where I work we have a name for this type of policy, we call it "wiping your ass with a hula-hoop".

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
So Dish will continue to allow systems to be installed without phone lines connected, and then complain and threaten when they aren't. NightRyder

What if E* and D* got together and both started to enforce this?

Oh, wait, E* and D* getting together to do anything?

Never mind.

I think we're safe....

aquaman67 said:

Then it would make a lot of subscribers very mad and the cable companies very happy, but your right it isn't going to happen. :)

Instead of the current stupidity I suggest the carrot approach, waive the $5 per month extra receiver fee for each connected receiver.

NightRyder

Well, here in the boonies cable is not an option...

But I agree, they could give you a free month of programming if all your receivers stay connected for a year, or how about a free PPV movie? Something!

aquaman67 said:

Oh, wait, E* and D* getting together to do anything?

Never mind.

I think we're safe....

D* regularly deactivated my receivers that had no phone line attached. I eventually got tired of calling them back and running a temp phone line to get it reactivated that I just ran phone lines to them.

If you understand the terms and sign up anyway, why should E* stop you from doing it. You assume the risk that if you have a receiver without a phone line, it may not qualify to be mirrored.

Vonage's current gen of phone adaptors all work with dish boxes, soo.. that's definitely an option (since we don't have a landline at all here right now, that's exactly what I do) ;)

Haven't gotten a single audit yet and it's been a year now, so I think we're doing good :)

dish Nazis

Ok.. im confused about this Audit... I have two receivers on my account. I have two houses, one is in my other house, The other at my main residence. Should i not be able to tell them i have two houses and a receiver in each. The other place is not rented or anything. It's just for me? Could dish turn around after i have been with therm for 6-7 years now and tell me im a criminal and disconnect my service? Let me tell you something... I would lose it... It's rediculous. DSS doesnt have any of this nonsense. I understand losses to people sharing but, assuming i get a phone call, what should i tell them? I cant get to the other house easily as its a plane ride away!!

-Bounty

You'd need to lie and tell them they are in the same residence. E* clearly states that an account can only be mirrored to other receivers at the same residence. If you are supplying two separate homes under one account it is signal theft. The duration of your service with them only compounds how long the theft has been going on.

Bountykiller said:
Ok.. im confused about this Audit... I have two receivers on my account. I have two houses, one is in my other house, The other at my main residence. Should i not be able to tell them i have two houses and a receiver in each. The other place is not rented or anything. It's just for me? Could dish turn around after i have been with therm for 6-7 years now and tell me im a criminal and disconnect my service? Let me tell you something... I would lose it... It's rediculous. DSS doesnt have any of this nonsense. I understand losses to people sharing but, assuming i get a phone call, what should i tell them? I cant get to the other house easily as its a plane ride away!!

-Bounty

Since you only have two receivers, that's considered "normal" and that's why you haven't been called.

I only have two and I've never been called either. (I'm getting two more for my teenage kids.)

But "technically" your houses are supposed to be on seperate accounts.

Do I agree with that, no. You're paying for it and you're the only one watching it.

If this was the only thing people did, maybe it would be allowed.

But what happens is someone gets 6 receivers and they are in six different people's houses.

I doubt you'll ever get called unless you upgrade, but if you do you'll more than likely have to put the other receiver on a different account, paying double.

Or, you could just cancel one receiver, keep the dish up at the other house and take the receiver with you when you go there. A pain? Definitely.

Even that's not really "legal".

aquaman67 said:
But "technically" your houses are supposed to be on seperate accounts.

Do I agree with that, no. You're paying for it and you're the only one watching it.

Ever see a cable company offer to give you programming for two homes you own for a single price?

CPanther95 said:
Ever see a cable company offer to give you programming for two homes you own for a single price?

No,

And I've never been able to take my cable to a tailgate party or camping in an RV either.

It's not even a possiblility with cable.

But is it possible with satellite?

Yes!

That's one of satellite's advantages and selling points over cable, portability.

So let's compare apples to apples...shall we?

E does allow RV use, that may be a option, when I added my 522 they mentioned you may get a audit call, so I made a special effort to keep the phone line plugged in all the time on the same phone line. I have 3 phone lines, with my business

aquaman67 said:
No,

And I've never been able to take my cable to a tailgate party or camping in an RV either.

It's not even a possiblility with cable.

But is it possible with satellite?

Yes!

That's one of satellite's advantages and selling points over cable, portability.

So let's compare apples to apples...shall we?

Being easier to steal, doesn't make it an "advantage" - unless of course you're a thief.

If you own a neighboring house and split your cable between the two - that's apples to apples. That's also illegal.

CPanther95 said:
If you own a neighboring house and split your cable between the two - that's apples to apples. That's also illegal.

I totally agree.

In that situation, I'm with you, that's wrong.

We are not talking about the same thing, not even close.

You're talking about DIFFERENT people getting service, I'm talking about ONE person getting service.

In the situation described above, the person doing ALL the paying is the ONLY person watching TV. No one who isn't paying the full price is watching anything. No one is splitting service.

One person who pays in full to watch TV and splitting service between people who do not pay in full is NOT comparing apples to apples.

If he took his RV camping for a month and watched satellite, that would be ok, right?

Since he can't be in both houses at once, that's pretty much the same thing. Instead of second house, subsitute RV, now is it a crime?

No.

If he only has one receiver and takes it with him, is that wrong too?

Having the second receiver in the second house is a matter of convenience. And that too is wrong, but I don't see the foul here.

Only he pays, only he watches TV.

There is no "splitting" services.

It's providing service to two residences using a single account. That's signal theft. I don't make the rules. The fact that nobody is watching both receivers at the same time has nothing to do with it.

Let me get this straight.

If he sells his second home, buys a RV, rents a RV space and keeps his RV permanently in that space, under "the rules" thats ok, and not "signal theft".

And the difference is?????

Check Dish network's policy on RV's - it could be different. He wasn't talking about an RV. With D*, an RV does not qualify for mirroring service - although you can get them to make an exception sometimes.

You may be able to justify it morally, but the terms are clear.

The RV rule is not meant for a permeant install it is meant for people that go there on the weekend and take one of the boxes from home and bring it back to there house during the week.

Having 2 house connected under 1 account is signal theft and should be 2 accounts Don't get me wrong I do understand your theory and I agree and don't have a problem with what your doing as long as the 2 boxes are not used at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts