3 to 5 LNB install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rupert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Slaughter, LA
I currently have a 3LNB installed on the eave (facia board) of my house. Is there any reason why a 5 LNB can't be mounted in the same place? Is it that much bigger or heavier? Can I use support brackets screwed into the roof?

I currently have a 3LNB installed on the eave (facia board) of my house. Is there any reason why a 5 LNB can't be mounted in the same place? Is it that much bigger or heavier? Can I use support brackets screwed into the roof?
It is much heavier mine had to go on top of a small storage room attached to the house.

:welcome

Its much heavier and because of the weight and size, it needs a tripod mount and the most solid and stable area. Roofs tend to be the ideal place. Because the 3 LNB and 5 LNB are much different, you can't use the same pole or mounts. Are you installing or Directv?

Last edited:
Dtv is installing. I found that many agree that it's much bigger and heavier, and facia board won't do. I'm thinking of scabbing a piece of board (probably a 2x8) across the truss beams or putting a pole in the ground that would be braced up top by the eave.

Dtv is installing. I found that many agree that it's much bigger and heavier, and facia board won't do. I'm thinking of scabbing a piece of board (probably a 2x8) across the truss beams or putting a pole in the ground that would be braced up top by the eave.

Your second option is a good one, as long as the support on the fascia lags into the end of the rafter, not just the fascia.

There are other mounting options also. D* recently came out with an S-tube mount for the 5 LNB dish that is designed to be mounted on the corner of the house and does not need any brace poles. Your installer may have one on his truck if you ask and this is a viable option for you.

I've done 4 of these mounts and it is now my favorite way to do 5 LNB dishes. No braces poles, sturdier than hell (I can hang off the mounting tube), installs in less than half the time, and is easier for the sub to remove snow/ice from the dish.

Attachments

• ATT00031.jpg
    ATT00031.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 371
  • ATT00034.jpg
    ATT00034.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 364
  • ATT00037.jpg
    ATT00037.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 344
  • ATT00040.jpg
    ATT00040.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 411
  • ATT00043.jpg
    ATT00043.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 372
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)