30 Years Ago Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I missed alot after it got scrambled. We had a C-Band dish when we lived in the country. Then the dish got damaged and didn't see C-Band again until 1998 or so when we bought a place "up north" and it had a "G5" system and receiver there
I remember the "G5" fixed dish systems. Didn't they have like a 5 or 6' dish?

When I was a kid and we traveled anywhere on holiday, I'd be yelling from the backseat about motel choices about whether they had a satellite dish or not - my sole criteria. "Don't stop here - I don't see a dish". I remember on one spring break I knew if we stopped by a certain time that Wrath of Khan was going to be on. "Stop soon or we'll miss it!". Ahhh the memories of a TV addicted kid.

I remember the "G5" fixed dish systems. Didn't they have like a 5 or 6' dish?
It was a 5 foot mesh dish (Radio Shack sold it). It was a nice setup in the day (especially with no cable nearby). You had the "basic cable" stations.

My dad got one in 83 and getting HBO in the boonies was awesome. It was a 10 foot dish with a big block down converter. The receiver was a drake ESR 324 receiver. I remember HBO test scrambled in the summer of 85 going full VCII in Jan of 86.

We bought a house in Oregon back in 1985 that had a solid 10 foot dish and a hand crank to change satellites. I don't recall the receiver but it had a rotary knob and slide rule tuning.
Either my wife or I would have to run all the way to the back of the property and move the dish while the other would watch the TV screen and shout when the correct satellite was tuned in.
Used to subscribe to that huge satellite weekly guide.
When stations started scrambling the first one we bought was CNN (or was it only HNN at that time?) to watch coverage of the first gulf war. It was also cool to tune around and find various back hauls.

Didn't Dish start a big dish subscription service because of this (I mean echostar)..forgive my ignorance if I am incorrect

"Sidecar' descrambler.. I remember these. 120 degree LNA's also. All hooked to a Gillespie receiver. (All in my museum of obsolete 'stuff')

IIRR, Echostar operated a major subscription center. I remember them pushing their small dish system in the early days when trying to renew subs on a big dish system.

The story about Captain America is a fascinating read if you aren't familiar with the reactions to encryption.

Sounds like it would be interesting reading sometime...anyone have any links or sites that tell the story?

I remember the old Zenith Cable boxes, If you Pressed the channel up button, and Put a penny wedged in it to hold it down you could also watch HBO.
It was an Interesting trick.
Or you could just send it out to the Guy in the back of the Magazines, and bam, totally unscrambled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I worked for Zenith in Plant Number One on the cable box R&D project for two weeks. Uncle Sam called. Said "cable boxes are not considered critical to the national interests." "You are hereby officially drafted!"

The old Zenith facility is still standing but it is in VERY poor shape. Heartbreaking what has happened to the huge plant and the surrounding neighborhood.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com/zenith/Zenith_Story.pdf

So, HBO wanted $12.95/mo back in 2016 for a single SD channel of movies and now they charge $15/mo for HBO Now with the whole library of HBO programs, specials, and Movies. I'd call that pretty incredible considering how other programming providers have raised their rates year after year.

Interesting topic and history lesson!

Didn't Dish start a big dish subscription service because of this (I mean echostar)..forgive my ignorance if I am incorrect
That's how Charlie started. Peddling big dishes from a pickup. Not sure it was his pickup.

Well i did not mean to make anyone upset. I remember this day also. I thought talking about hacking was not allowed in this forum . But cpt. Midnight did hack the signal. Way back then.

There is wild feeds on a cband not just nasa channel. They come and go. We had cband sat when i was a kid. That is why im interested in it today.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There was also and old song about it too. Kind of a country song about cpt. Midnight. My old man had it on casette tape long ago. I found the mp3 while back. But lost it reformatting a windows xp computer/ hard drive

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well i did not mean to make anyone upset. I remember this day also. I thought talking about hacking was not allowed in this forum .
Big difference in: Hey anyone have the latest codes, my xyz box went blank again and I am missing the super bowl.
and what this thread is about. ;)

Reactions: dl76
Even back then "hacking" was different. Back then you hacked it because they wouldn't sell it to you. (You wanted to pay for it, but they didn't want your money) Today you hack it because your too cheap to pay for it.

Boy have times changed. I miss the glory days of C Band. :)

Reactions: satjay
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts