301 HD / RV Question

seano

Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hello,

I have a Dish 301 receiver and a dish 500 with no LNB (because the cable company took it when we returned to cable service a while back). We recently returned to satellite service in my home with High Def services (we recently bought a high def TV) and would like to use the old equipment in my RV. Our RV has a high def TV in it as well (came that way).

My question is this: will the 301 receiver work on my high def TV in the RV, and if so, what type of LNB should I get, and is there any other equipment I would need to make my existing equipment work with a high def TV?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

You could use a dp twin lnb with the dish 500 antenna, aiming will be a little difficult as you will need to set the skew as well as the elevation as you travel around. Your picture will not be high def as the 301 receiver can not see the high def channels, you would need to do several difficult things to receive HD in your RV. You would need an HD receiver, and in addition to aiming the twin lnb, a second antenna with a single dp lnb set on an HD satellite like 129 if you are in that footprint. With the HD receiver you will get a few channels off 110. The easiest way is to use a single lnb on the dish 500 and watch sat 119, lots of channels to see in normal def, and simple to aim while traveling. The picture on you HD TV in the RV would have great quality just not be HD. Hope this helps...

dbajaer;

You seem pretty well informed. How about locals? Can you pick up local channels out of your home DMA when traveling?
Depends which ones and where you travel. If you get the RV/semi exemption you can get LA or New York and don 't forget that since you're going HD the good ol' roof mount steerable TV antenna from Winngard ought to get locals in a great deal of the country.

Mobile waiver no longer gets you DNS. You may be able to swing Atlanta and/or San Francisco through All American Dish.

Most locals are on a spotbeam so if you're more than 150 miles from home, there's not much hope.

Thanks much for the info. I was aftraid the HD TV would not pick up regular signals from a non HD receiver. I will give it a shot and see how it goes.

I mean, When in, say, Memphis I want their locals, and in, say, Dallas, their locals, etc.

Don't forget the old fashion way to view tv......with a sutible regalar vhf/uhf antenna. Sinse local stations are broadcasting digital, a portable antenna could be your solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts