311 and Dish 500

pl747

Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I am moving a 311 receiver (that works perfect) and trying to set it up at the same zip code with one of the older twin dual lnb Dish 500. It was hooked up to a newer Dish 500 with switches built into the lnb's. Mine uses a SW21 switch. I can get a good signal on 119 but not on 110. I run a check switch and it finds the 119 even and odd but nothing on the 110. I swapped the lnb's from side to side and the short cables to the switch from the lnb's from side to side...same thing...so I rule out bad lnb's and cables. Bad switch? I ran the check switch with the satellite antenna unhooked first then again with it hooked up. Anything special I need to do with the receiver? I am watching programming on 119. Shouldn't I be able to hook straight from the 110 lnb and get the 110 satellite only..and hook to the 119 lnb by itself and get the 119 satellite? I can get the 119 but not the 110. I got the skew set to 115 just like the other antenna...even tried going a few degrees both ways from it. I am stummped.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! :welcome

The older Dish 500 you describe has "2 duals" or "double dual." I would avoid calling it "twin dual" to avoid confusion with the unit with switches built in with the LNBs which is called a Twin.

Someone with actual installation experience will be better able to answer your question. My guesses are the dish aim is off 9 degrees or the new mast is not plumb. Any obstructions?

311 receiver and Dish 500

No obstructions...mask is nice and plumb...i had direct tv on it before...i just changed out the dish and rechecked the mask for plumb. My azumith is 205, elevation is 45 and my skew is 115...same as the one at my moms. I have tried on both sides of all those numbers. Isn't the 110 the lowest (elevation) satellite? Shouldn't I be able to get the 110 straight off it's lnb to the receiver by itself?

Yes, if you cnnect directly to the 110 LNB, you should get 110.

What DO you get? And same question for the 119 LNB - because your first post was so jumbled as to be unreadable.

Well, "some" people have a hard time understanding what they read if they have to think a little...I "was" 9 degrees off on the satellite dish aim...i got the straight scoop right away from a local installer and had it going in no time. He told me the older leagacy lnb's and SW21 switch setup I was trying to use would work fine with the 311 receiver...and also "that I should" get the 110 satellite by itself off the 110 lnb and the 119 satellite off the 119 lnb...then I knew I was probably getting the 119 off the 110 lnb...got back up there and pulled the lnbs (which I should have done to start with) and traced cables back...sure enough... and got it all aimed right and the SW21 switch worked fine then when it seen both satellites...watching Tv.

Hmm. Still someone that thinks periods and paragraph breaks cost money.

Anyway, it's exactly what BobaBird & I were thinking - typical newbie problem.

I asked two simple questions in a complete sentence, and I got everything "but" an answer to them. Go figure who is wasting time.

pl747 said:
I asked two simple questions in a complete sentence, and I got everything "but" an answer to them. Go figure who is wasting time.
BobaBird gave you your first answer in less than 3 hours.

Then I answered your next question as soon as I saw it.

All answers were correct, and even formatted for easy readibility. When you help soething like a dozen people a day, it really helps.

Oh, BTW, my reading comprehension and associated faculties are just fine (Mensa-level), thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts