311 Guide Update

PJJAnthony

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
I am new to Dish and have two 311 receivers. I have a Tivo connected to both of them, so I cannot leave the receiver off overnight to update the Guide info or whatever other software update it needs. Is there a way to manually have the receiver call out to download software updates or guide info?

I just read the card that has all the channels listed on it and it says to turn off the receiver for 5 minutes daily, then turn it back on. I did that, but it does not call out (I know because the light doesn't go on on my phone). Does anyone know what turning it off for 5 minutes does? Does it signal the receiver to call out overnight or is it supposed to call out right away?

PJJAnthony said:
I just read the card that has all the channels listed on it and it says to turn off the receiver for 5 minutes daily, then turn it back on. I did that, but it does not call out (I know because the light doesn't go on on my phone). Does anyone know what turning it off for 5 minutes does? Does it signal the receiver to call out overnight or is it supposed to call out right away?
The receiver gets the guide data from the satellite, not via dial out.

btbrossard said:
The receiver gets the guide data from the satellite, not via dial out.

Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for. So I guess it only needs to dial out to get a software update, right?

PJJAnthony said:
Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for. So I guess it only needs to dial out to get a software update, right?
No, it get's that from the satellite too. It only needs to dial out for PPV, and Dish Home interactive.

PJJAnthony said:
Sorry, wrong again. The receivers from Dish only receive software updates via download from the satellite(s) and the receivers must be off for this to happen in most cases. Dual receivers are an exception. You can leave them on all the time if you want and only turn one off when you find out here that a new software version is available. Or check via the menu if a new download is available.

The phone connection is primarily used to notify Dish what PPVs you have watched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts