311k receiver will not program UHF side of remote control 6.0

Road Glide

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
We have a 311k receiver in the RV and the IR hand held works fine. Trying to program a 6.0 IR/UHF PRO remote to be able to actuate the receiver that is in the front cab front another room. I purchased the green keys tabs on eBay to change out the remote key. None of the 3 green keys with UHF Pro logo seem to move the address under "system info" from "IR" to "IR and UHF Pro" which is what the owners manual states should happen when progamming to change to UHF. Any of them inserted into the bottom of the control will move the remote address number 1-16 but the address still reads "IR" only.
So here is my 2 questions. 1) Even thought the 311k receiver is a detuned 322 (one output blocked) have they defeated the option of UHF? The UHF antenna I bought on line is the same one on our 322 in the house.
2) The instructions on line, stated to use the "solid" green key #1 UHF PRO and not the green with black stripe or the green with solid black tabs. I have tried all 3 and held satelite button down till all lights blink, then enter any number 1-16, followed by #, then record. As I said, the remote address NUMBER will change but not inside the "i" box where it says "IR". Am I missing something?
PS...I was on here in May and you all helped and everything has been great!

Yes, UHF will work. Use the blue "2" key even for TV1.

Press menu - 6 - 1 - TV1 UHF setup.
Make sure ENABLED is checked
Select system info from the same screen
Highlight the TV1 remote address
Press record a few times with the TV2 key facing out

The remote should now be programmed to TV1 as UHF

Blue key "2 UHF PRO' back in remote...6-1-8 (8 on menu says "UHF Pro setup)
System info, enabled, highlighted TV1 remote address (which is the numbers 1-16) mine was on 13, but again the inside box that shows IR doesn't change but I get what you are saying.
Pushed record a few times....works on IR (another words in line of site within 40 ft) but when I go to the back bedroom or hold the remote in the kitchen behind a cabinet...nothing...will not change channels or power off or on.
Just for fun I changed the remote address to 9, same results....
So again my question, is the 311k UHF remote system dead, not available, no software, defeated....whatever.
My motives like everyone else is to be able to work the receiver with out being in line of sight...
thanks again....guys...(hello ChadT41 happy 4th)

Hello, Happy 4th... I do have one suggestion real quick... You said it was a 6.x series remote, I did not catch if you mentioned if it was on the A or B side. If on B, switch it to A, as that is UHF Pro Band A. Likely that is what will be required for a 311k receiver, compared to the 625 and up.

A or B side...? are we talking about the switch inside the batt compartment? I didn't see one and I don't believe there is one but I'll double ck. our remote control in the house 21.1 has a small switch inside the batt compartment
or A or B side on back of receiver or are we talking about when menu is on system info? I will check all 3 possibilities now and report back

For the life of me cannot find A or B side..There are no switches or buttons on the remote itself to denote A or B. Once I am at system info menu, I do not see A or B. No switches on back of receiver, checked UHF attenna tightness, good.

So one more time, try to clarify where I would see or find "A or B side"

On one set of instructions I pulled of Dish Network website
http://www.mydish.com/support/remote-control-manual

click on 6.0 and page 7 or 8 I believe has the part where you should see "IR and UHF PRO" enabled under box "i"

Also followed Mattg's instruction to no avail....I may go back and try his suggestion with each of the green keys marked "UHF Pro" just to see if I get lucky and it was the blue key that was the stumbling block

On the 6 series remote, it should be inside the battery compartment in the left side. I know 6.3 and 6.4 has it, but am unfamiliar with 6.0. They should be almost identical though.

ChadT41....no switch inside the 6.0.....6.4 and up have it for sure (I viewed dish support page)....slammed new duracells in the remote, tried every key, no luck. I thinking about taking the 21.1 out to the rv and testing the receiver.. because I know for a fact it operates the spare bedroom (TV2) for sure. I will have to change the number on the remote address it's currently at 73 and then switch it back after testing the RV 311k receiver. House receiver is 322 (works fine). We have a 5.3IR working the main TV and the 21.1UHF working the spare bedroom. 322 receiver is located under the main TV in living room....
Again my point is maybe the 311k's sent out from dish to replace the old 301's, the UHF feature is defeated. They defeated the 2nd TV option, so would they have defeated the UHF antenna port and programming as well? (311k is a modified 322, right?)
I like learning, I like knowledge, I like experience, I WOULD like a shorter learning curve, though!...LOL

Reactions: TheKrell
Progress.....took the 21.1 remote out to the rv. Key was in the blue TV2 position. Went to system info, remote address, memorized 13...Voila!
UHF works in the back with doors shut or behind walls.
So apparently, the 311k UHF remote feature is working just need to find another 21.1 remote.
So in closing, the 6.0 series don't seem to get the job done.
For other Dish Network customers who are still on SD and dish updated the 301 to the 311k, they would just have to add the UHF antenna on the back of the receiver. Then find a 21.1 remote and program accordingly.
That being said though, most of if not all of the time they will be in front of the tv or nearby to change satellite viewing, so a UHF capability is probably not worth the hassle, unless they have split the single to another room tv and want to change satellite programming, lets say from bedroom or out on deck where the receiver (311K) is still located inside with the main tv.

Progress.....took the 21.1 remote out to the rv. Key was in the blue TV2 position. Went to system info, remote address, memorized 13...Voila!
UHF works in the back with doors shut or behind walls.
So apparently, the 311k UHF remote feature is working just need to find another 21.1 remote.
So in closing, the 6.0 series don't seem to get the job done.
For other Dish Network customers who are still on SD and dish updated the 301 to the 311k, they would just have to add the UHF antenna on the back of the receiver. Then find a 21.1 remote and program accordingly.
That being said though, most of if not all of the time they will be in front of the tv or nearby to change satellite viewing, so a UHF capability is probably not worth the hassle, unless they have split the single to another room tv and want to change satellite programming, lets say from bedroom or out on deck where the receiver (311K) is still located inside with the main tv.
You can pick up a 21.1 remote at almost any Walmart... Hope that helps. I seen them run about $25, but you can Ebay, Amazon, and retailer them a lot cheaper as well, usually.

Yes the 311k is a re-manufactured, re-purposed 322 case... The UHF remote antenna on most every reciever is suppose to allow you to change tv1 to UHF but I'm not sure about the 311k. I don't think dish sells them anymore but have you thought about getting an IR-to-UHF Pro upgrade kit or a remote control extender kit?

Sorry did not see the post about the 21.1 remote until after I posted. Glad that worked.

Yes the 311k is a re-manufactured, re-purposed 322 case... The UHF remote antenna on most every reciever is suppose to allow you to change tv1 to UHF but I'm not sure about the 311k. I don't think dish sells them anymore but have you thought about getting an IR-to-UHF Pro upgrade kit or a remote control extender kit?
Why do that, the UHF on a 21.1 works, which makes me believe it is a pro band issue. The adapter is not needed and would be more of a nuisance in his case. Just needs some 6.3's or later(might as well get 21.1's since they likely cost the same or within pennies of eachother and has proven to work on his specific system)

21.1 is the way to go....eBay new right now about $9 free shipping
thank you mike for chiming in. yes,the 311k is a reman 322. so far the 21.1 will accomplish what I want because I have limited space in the RV cabinet for IR to UHF conversion kit (more hardware)
And Chad - I wouldn't fool around with 6 series remotes, just get a new 21.1 (i even programmed the 21.1 to actuate the RCA tv in the back bedroom of the RV...so now just one handheld to do everything....sweet!)

Again, thanks everyone for your input. But as stated my goal was to help anyone else that may have gotten 311k's in place of the old 301's that are history now..We've been with dish for about 12-13 years. So earlier this year when Dish decided to change out receivers, I decided to find a 322SD for the house and put the 311k in the RV for $7 extra a month rather than hassle with Pay-As-U-Go.

Why do that, the UHF on a 21.1 works, which makes me believe it is a pro band issue. The adapter is not needed and would be more of a nuisance in his case. Just needs some 6.3's or later(might as well get 21.1's since they likely cost the same or within pennies of eachother and has proven to work on his specific system)

I posted that before i seen that his 21.1 tv2 remote worked, and it did so without flipping the tab to tv1 which is surprising but good to know.

The IR to UHF kit is more expensive too, so again happy to hear that worked.

Yes, UHF will work. Use the blue "2" key even for TV1.

Press menu - 6 - 1 - TV1 UHF setup.
Make sure ENABLED is checked
Select system info from the same screen
Highlight the TV1 remote address
Press record a few times with the TV2 key facing out

The remote should now be programmed to TV1 as UHF

So, the above is correct if you are holding a 21.1 UHF remote control in your hand...(TV2 key showing - 2 is blue)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts