322 Download Problems Since New Firmware

mixz1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Cancun, Mexico
I own a 322. Worked flawlessly for years. Since the new firmware was pushed I am having real problems with program guide downloads. I have tried to switch the time around from the default 3 AM to no avail. I'll turn my TV on at 8 AM and it will sit on the searching for satellite screen for 10 minutes and then download the program guide.

Tonight the box went to the searching for satellite screen for 10 minutes and then downloaded the program guide. Needless to say I lost the last 12 or 13 minutes of the program I was watching. Download was set on the default 3 AM. This is sort of unacceptable.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mixz, exactly the same problem here. Doesn't happen every day, but I never know when it will occur. I'm gonna be screwed if I have to be gone for more than a day, 'cuz my programs won't start (already happened to me once). Finally broke down and called tech support last week--of course they decided it must be a bad receiver, since that seems to be their default answer if check switch is OK. I figured I'd agree to a receiver swap just so I could force them to rule that out as the problem. Got the new box a couple days ago, had exactly the same problem with it the next morning. If I may be so bold, I'd say it's clearly a software problem with L4.85--that's when the problems started, and I've seen reports of the same thing on another discussion board. I'll call Dish again tomorrow night if I have time, but HOW DO WE GET CONNECTED TO SOMEBODY WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS SOMETHING AND HAS SOME AUTHORITY?? The average operator isn't gonna know squat about it. By the way, I have 250+superstations+TV Japan (utilizing sats 110, 118, 119) if that's useful to anybody. What's your setup look like, Mixz?

Shin, I've got an old DirecTV 1.2 meter dish with a dual LNB setup looking 1t 119 and 110. I'm in Cancun, Mexico and am in the "fringe". For the past week or so I'm having LOS on TNT and MSNBC at certain times of the day. My local Dish installer says that Dish has played with the footprint again and "customers with 1.8 meter dishes have lost the Transponder 13 which carried USA, Comedy, TV Land, and CNBC. Signals now really suck."

Last edited:
Bummer. :/ My setup is very straightforward, other than the foreign language programming (looks like D* still doesn't have Japanese, so I couldn't really jump ship even if I wanted to). 500+ dish, single 322 receiver, DP34. Anyway, my ranting over on the other forums has apparently caught the attention of somebody at E*, so I'm going to post him my tech specs and have him look into it. He's asking to hear from anyone else who is having the same problems--I can point you there if you like, but given your... geographic location... I can understand if you wouldn't want to. ;) I'll follow up when I know more.

[FONT=&quot]Whenever a wrong channel is entered for example 1, 2 or 6, it takes to channel 9903 and a message error 002 appears. The technical support team advises to turn off the receiver [/FONT]with program guide downloads [FONT=&quot]but this does not restore the programming. I learned by myself that the way to solve this problem is press menu, program guide and changing the channel restores the programming. [/FONT]

It does seem as though the firmware update has degraded the receiver. I never had these problems until the upgrade. I wonder if the remaining population of 322's is so small that Dish isn't going to fix this.

I read that at least some 722s have had a similar problem since the last update, so they'd better have some motivation to fix it!

My 322 at my other house works just fine with the new firmware. Then again I don't live in Mexico.

My 322 at my other house works just fine with the new firmware. Then again I don't live in Mexico.
I'll just assume that you're another one of the Mexico bashers that inhabit certain corners of the board. I'll give you my stock answer: I pay for my signal the same as you. My receiving the signal has no impact on your receiving the signal and I pay more for my service because here in Mexico the installers have to make a profit. The purchase price of a 322 hovers around 500 dollars. A 722k costs around 800 dollars. a 1.8 meter antenna will cost over a thousand dollars. For those who can't travel to the US to carry equipment down, these are significant costs.

Now, since you're a "SatelliteGuys Regular" I'll ask you a question: What does my living in Mexico have to do with the problems several of us, in Mexico and the USA, are having with our receivers. Wait, I'll answer it for you. Nothing. Your comment was not intended to provide any insight into the problem. It was intended to take a swipe at us in Mexico. Too bad.

I'll just assume that you're another one of the Mexico bashers that inhabit certain corners of the board. I'll give you my stock answer: I pay for my signal the same as you. My receiving the signal has no impact on your receiving the signal and I pay more for my service because here in Mexico the installers have to make a profit. The purchase price of a 322 hovers around 500 dollars. A 722k costs around 800 dollars. a 1.8 meter antenna will cost over a thousand dollars. For those who can't travel to the US to carry equipment down, these are significant costs.

Now, since you're a "SatelliteGuys Regular" I'll ask you a question: What does my living in Mexico have to do with the problems several of us, in Mexico and the USA, are having with our receivers. Wait, I'll answer it for you. Nothing. Your comment was not intended to provide any insight into the problem. It was intended to take a swipe at us in Mexico. Too bad.

You know what happens when you assume? You make an ASS out of U and ME. I don't really approve or disapprove of Mexicans or Canadians or Zimbabweians receiving DISH, as it is not my concern. However you seem to feel the need to justify getting your TV service from a company that does not want your business. If you'd just look around a little, you'll see that I've never "bashed" Mexico once on this board, and I am actually helping a Mexican in another thread right next to yours.

Now for the answer to your question: What does your living in Mexico have to do with it? Well, for starters, I bet your signal strength sucks, and you might not even be getting the TP that has the guide on it.

...Now for the answer to your question: What does your living in Mexico have to do with it? Well, for starters, I bet your signal strength sucks, and you might not even be getting the TP that has the guide on it.

If you're not one of the regular Mexico bashers, I apologize. Now, if you read the OP, I can always download the PG, as I have no marginal TP signals on 119 or 110. The difficulty is/was the automated downloading of the PG. Following advice received from a local installer as well as on the board, the simple act of shutting down one side of the receiver, and it doesn't matter if it's the 1 side or the 2 side, results in the reliable downloading of the PG and the normal startup and viewing on the next morning. This was an unneeded step prior to the firmware update. And, in reading the thread, you might notice that others well within the CONUS footprint are having post firmware update problems as well.

I do not need to justify my TV service and I'm sure if not for the legislative barriers Dish would be more than happy to openly receive my monthly auto-pay. In fact, I think most of the Americans who live down here either full time or part time feel quite comfortable withh their desire for American (or Canadian) programming and need not justify it to anyone.

Mixz, does shutting down the receiver overnight always work for you? I've always done so, and am continuing to do so with the current problems, but the failure still happens sometimes. Actually, it happened at quarter after six last night too, so it would seem (and posters on the other board would concur) that the problem isn't tied only to the overnight updating. BTW, I haven't heard anything specific back from the E* guy that I talked to--he says he did submit a technical report, but hopefully they don't just drop it now.

Mixz, does shutting down the receiver overnight always work for you? I've always done so, and am continuing to do so with the current problems, but the failure still happens sometimes. Actually, it happened at quarter after six last night too, so it would seem (and posters on the other board would concur) that the problem isn't tied only to the overnight updating. BTW, I haven't heard anything specific back from the E* guy that I talked to--he says he did submit a technical report, but hopefully they don't just drop it now.

I thought it did until this morning when it spontaneously rebooted and went through the 10 minute wait and then download the PG. This was while I was watching the news. What a mess!

What the heck, I'll reply to the old thread. Hopefully those having problems with the 322 have received version L486 of the firmware sometime in the last ten days or so. I haven't had any crashes since then (fingers crossed).

I just came down for a week. My family has been here since june. I have a dual dish setup. problem is that now a get a partial signal screen on my 322, even when I have a locked signal. this occurs on the weaker TP , like sat 110, tp 11. I will ave a locked, but weak signal, like a 10 or 11. Which is plenty to watch TV, but this stupid partial signal screen blocks me from watching my weaker channels. This must be a software update or something.
Help,
Thanks,
James