322 Receiver showing wrong switch

phil hunter

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Hi,

Recently I upgraded my system to a HD setup. I have a 1000.2 dish, a VIP 622 with splitter, a DVR 625 with splitter and a Dish 301 and everything worked fine, until I decided to change the 301 to a 322 dual tuner. I have been unable to get the 322 tuner to work, nor has Dish Tech Support been able to solve the problem. The tuner is connected with a splitter, so there are three dual receivers connected to the 1000.2.

The 322 has a strong signal (98) on 119, and see's 110 and 119 just fine. It has an X where 129 would be but also shows the transponder as OK. My 625 also does not show 129, and has it X'ed out, so I don't think that is the issue. The problem is that the 322 shows Diseqc 41 as the switch, after a check switch test; whereas the other two show the correct switch as DPP 1K.2.

After the check switch test, the unit will go to screen 061, "Downloading Information" and completely stop. I have let it sit overnight and the download status bar is empty.

I also have the following messages in the details:

The non bandstacked quad on Port 1 is not support as a diseqc device

The non bandstacked quad on Port 2 is not support as a diseqc device

The non bandstacked quad on Port 3 is not support as a diseqc device

The non bandstacked quad on Port 4 is not support as a diseqc device.

Any idea how I fix this and get the receiver to show the correct switch?

Thanks,

Phil

It's not a splitter on the other two working receivers, it's a DishPro Separator.

Look closely and make sure you didn't use a cable splitter because they are NOT the same thing.

That is not the problem. I am using the Dish Pro separator that came with the receiver on all three of the receivers. In fact, I swapped the separators between the 322 and the 625 and it did not make a difference.

Trying running a check switch without the Sat Dish hooked up to clear the matrix and then hook it back up and run test again and see what happens.

Trying running a check switch without the Sat Dish hooked up to clear the matrix and then hook it back up and run test again and see what happens.

i'd try what ke4est said first because clearing the switch matrix works a lot of the time if you have good coaxial cables between separator and receiver (no braid touching the center conductor)

Hi,

I have run the check switch at least 10 times with the same result. The receiver has been reset many times and unplugged several times as well.

Not sure I understand about running check switch without the dish hooked up. If I understand correctly, I should unhook the satellite dish from the 322 receiver then turn the 322 on and run check switch correct?

Thanks,

Phil

One thing you may want to try.....

Do as others have said by disconnecting the sat lines, run the check switch and you should get all X's, then reconnect the sat line, dont run the check switch, instead go back to signal meter, lock on 119, goto done and let the software download. After the download run checkswitch again and see if all sats pop in.

OK. I disconnected the sat line and ran the check switch. It went through 38 checks and came back with no Sats and no switch. I then connected the sat line back up and went to the point dish screen. The screen shows no signal on 119. I rebooted the receiver and it can back up with the point dish screen and it still has no signal, and that is where it sits.

Prior to to that, I disconnected the cable and ran the check switch test and it came back with no Sat's and no switch. I then ran the check switch and it came up with Diseqc 41 as the switch again.

A Dish tech is supposed to come tomorrow between 8 ans noon, so hopefully he can figure out the problem.

Phil

I would investigate the cable from the receiver to the dish. The receiver is not properly communicating with the 1000.2 LNB. This is usually due to a cable issue. I know the 301 worked fine there, but 322s can be very picky about issues with cables and fittings.

Hi,

I just did a test by switching back to the old 301 receiver and running a check switch test on it and it identified the switch correctly and showed all three satellites. In fact, it is supposed to be inactive, but is receiving all of the channels just fine.

At this point, I am thinking that the software in the 322 is corrupted. When I first installed it and turned it on, it immediately came on with channel 101 and a couple of other free channels. I then contacted Dish to activate the receiver and the screen switched to the downloading screen and remained there for the next three hours without showing any advance in the download bar. I contacted Dish Tech Support and they put me through all the test switch, reset, unplug the receiver drills without solving the problem. Since then it will not even show 101 any more. It does show 110 and 119 as being fine, bur has an X where 129 is, but the transponder box is green, and the switch is miss identified. It shows a strong signal on 119 and is locked.

I will let you know what the tech says tomorrow, assuming he shows up.

Phil

take the 322 and hook it up to where your 622 is and run check switch. If it does the same thing it sounds like it is the 322. If not it sounds to me like a cabling issue.

OK, the Dish Tech came today, but was not much help. He did everything that I had already done, then pronounced the receiver defective. Since I have the Dish Home Protection Plan, I contacted Dish and they will replace it with a leased unit for $5.00 a month, which effectively negates buying it in the first place. So much for having the plan.
I had one more brainstorm, so I tried that as well. I have another building on the property, and it is equipped with a Dish 500 antenna and a 301 receiver, but it has dual cables. I took the 322 up there and hooked it up to the Dish 500. I ran the check switch and it immediately identified the switch as a Dish Twin and showed both 110 and 119 satellites as good. However, after I clicked done, it tired to download software updates and just sat for over two hours without downloading anything. It is my understanding that this should occur with 20 minutes or so, or at least show some progress.

At this point, I think the problem is software related. The latest version of software for the 322 is L4.226/21. The previous version was L4.21 This receiver has software L060 GCJD-N, according to the system info, which is not even close to the other two. Even though this was a new unopened box, it appears that the software is way out of date. which could be why the thing won't update the software.

Phil

Hi Smith,

I did a search on reset NVRAM and NVRAM reset and did not turn up much except for a thread on an 810. What exactly is NVRAM and why do i want to erase/reset it?

Thanks,

Phil

yeah, smith, I did the same search and couldn't find, or couldn't understand, what you were telling him to search for.

Sometimes people *do* search and can't find the information they need.

I think L060 is a factory software and should be able to download whatever's current out there. phil, i bet if you post your bootstrap version too, maybe smith or randalla can look it up for you.

edit: just found it, post #30 of randall's updates thread.
PID: 0890h, ID: 5NZD, FW: L422, Model: DP322/DP322.
Tue Sep 18 23:21:35 2007

New FW:'L422'
List of BootStraps and BuildConfigs:
'1[3-6D]1[0-7ABF]' 'GC[BCE-HJ-NPQ][A-DJ]'
IRD Model: DP322
List of Serial Numbers:
[2] 1-4000000000

'1[4-6]1[0-7F]' 'GD[A-DHJ-LNP-X][A-DJ]'
IRD Model: DP322
List of Serial Numbers:
[2] 1-4000000000

Last edited:
Well, I should retract my idea with NVRAM cleaning. Regardless how the Search engine working here.

You have old initial factory SW, and you must load current version for continue use it with your setup.
I would use one straight cable from 119W ( usually it is port#1 on Twin LNBF ) or temporary disable 110W eyelet ( cover by foil ).

OK, I've tried all of the suggestions here, as well as some mentioned by the vendor and, of course, Dish Tech Support, except for the NVRAM reset. Nothing will fix the problem of locking up when downloading the updated software so I am returning the receiver to the vendor.

Thanks for the help,

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)