322 receiver to dish 500

bcuth

Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I'm a total noob here, so details are good for me.
1) I want to hook up my model 322 receiver to a dish 500 dish. Where you would hook the coax up to the dish, there are 3 ports. "1" , "2", and "Line In". Which do I use?
2) How long of a coax can I reasonably use? I would like to have 200 ft, but can easily cut back on that if needed.
3) When setting up inside, what are the proceedures? Do I try to get a signal first? Check the switch (whatever that is) first? Spin around three times and click my heels together and say "There is no place like Dish Network?" I've had so much conflicting information that I am totally confused now. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

NOOB 01:confused:

Last edited:
I imagine you have a DishPro Plus twin LNB assembly. This has two outputs (1 and 2) for two dual-tuner receivers, and an input for a wing dish. Just run one cable from output 1 to the separator that came with your 322, and from the separator to each tuner.

I'm a total noob here, so details are good for me.

Separator? Tuner? see above quote please.

I assume the tuner is the 322 I refered to? I'm only running to one TV, so is the separater you refer to for hooking up more than one TV?

boba,

I know there is always one in every crowd. Thanks for identifying yourself so soon. If I had a manual, I'd read it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated. I was under the assumption this was a place for help, not for flames. But then again, if you are a flamer then by all means, be what you are.

The manual has several easy to understand diagrams. It is much harder to post them here. If you do not have access to a manual you can either view wiring diagrams or can download pdf manuals from the tech portal loacted in the Dish Network website. The manual also defines the types of equipment which if you could add to your post would make it a lot easier to help you. Your first step should be to identify which type dish, lnb's and switches you are trying to use, then either state which sat locations or programing you are looking to get.

Pay no attention to the peanut gallery. First I'll start off with a couple of questions. Did you have this hooked up before? Did you install your dish yourself or was it already up from a previous installation? If your dish is currently installed, take a look at the little gray boxy thing in the front of the dish. It looks like 2 eyes facing the dish. It's called the LNBF. On the opposite side it should have some lettering. It will either say DISH NETWORK, or it will have in big letters DP or it will say DP Plus. This is very important, because it will determine where we go from here.

The LNBF says DP Plus. Originally, I had this as a second tuner when my children were still at home. The main tuner (DVR) is still in operation in my home. I haven't used the 322 in a couple of years. My goal is to have the 322 in my travel trailer and use a second dish. Late yesterday evening I was told that I can not have my home tuner on and the 322 on at the same time. That they both had to be off the same sat dish. There is so much mis-information out there that it's hard to weed out the truth. Thanks for your patience.

The LNBF says DP Plus. Originally, I had this as a second tuner when my children were still at home. The main tuner (DVR) is still in operation in my home. I haven't used the 322 in a couple of years. My goal is to have the 322 in my travel trailer and use a second dish. Late yesterday evening I was told that I can not have my home tuner on and the 322 on at the same time. That they both had to be off the same sat dish. There is so much mis-information out there that it's hard to weed out the truth. Thanks for your patience.

As long as both are activated, there isn't any reason both receivers can't be using the same dish or separate dishes. It is against the terms of service to relocate a home receiver to another location, but people do it all the time for tailgating and vacation homes. Thus a tuner in use at home and on the road at the same time would be a violation of the terms of service. That may be what they were referring to.

The separator looks like a coax cable splitter and has a Dish logo and is labeled Separator. The single port is labeled In and that is the port to which the feed from the sat is attached. The other side of the separator has 2 Satellite ports and should have two short coax leads attached. These coax leads attach to the Sateliite 1 and Satellite 2 ports on your 322. If you don't have a separator, one can be purchased for a few bucks at DishStore.com or a Dish retailer. Otherwise you'll need a switch (if using the same dish with both receivers) and have to run two lines from the switch to the two satellite in ports on your receiver. Since you used this receiver previously, isn't all the original cabling in place and just needs to be hooked up and maybe the receiver reactivated if you took it off your account. Are you paying a $5 a month additional receiver charge to Echostar. If not, the receiver isn't probably activated. Go to your online account. It should indicate whether the 322 is activated or not.

As I guessed from the OP's 1st post, the OP has a DPP twin. I am unaware of any 3-port twin that has an input, other than the DPP. This means he can use a single cable for his 322, and also that 200' of RG6 is not a problem. If output port 1 is already occupied, then use output 2. The 138 page manual, full of wiring diagrams and setup instructions, for the 322 is here.

Box in RV

FYI:
I don't know if it model specific or not, but anytime the box i use in my RV is not active for 7-10 days it goes dead and I have to call Dish and have them "hit" it. And if you have DNS service from All American Direct, you have to call and have them "hit" it. I wish dish's reps were as easy to deal with as AA's. And, if you have to leave your RV to phone Dish, you will need your model and serial number and your account number. Just tell them the box has been unplugged for several weeks and you don't need to press a lot of buttons and "check switch", and repower, etc. You just need the box "hit" and you will call back if that doesn't fix it.

Some success..... but not enough. Unplugged the DVR receiver in my home. Plugged in the 322 in my trailer. This is what came up:

Satellite Input 1
Port 1 DPP Twin Good Connection, No Signal
Port 2 DPP Twin 119 Even, Odd
Port 3 External LNB: None No Connection

Satellite Input 2
Port 1 DPP Twin Good Connection, No Signal
Port 2 Dpp Twin Good Connection, No Signal
Port 3 External LNB: None No Connection

Any suggestion welcome, Thanks.

Did you go through the install menu and run "check switch"?.
I have to do this each time i move my box. At home, Dish Pro 500, it is set for sat 110 and 119. On the road i only use a single lnb dish and just hit sat 119.

Out of town for a week before I can test this again. Thanks so much for all the imput. Hope it works when I get back.

Ok, ran Check Switch and got an ok with Sat Input 1. With Sat Input 2 I get the following:

Port 1 2 3
Satellite Conn Conn X
Trans Twinn Twinn NC
Status Reception Error
Switch DPP Twin w/separator

Details for Sat Inmput 2 are listed in above post.

Also, one of the screens I saw, forget which, said "WARNING 530. One of the satellite inputs or switches is not connected properly. Normal operation will be adversely affected.

Question: Running a Dual LNBF dish, do I need 2 coax cables or just one? Below is a copy paste from the manual mentioned in above post. While I don't get the messages about "199W" or "110W", could this be part of the problem? That I need to try to direct the dish in another area?

When you run Check Switch, you see
"Twin" identified as the Device/LNBF but
you only have signal confirmed from one
satellite.
• The DISH Pro Twin LNBF is connected
but the dish may not be pointed to
receive signal from both 110 and 119
satellites.
• If the check switch summary screen
shows "119 W" on Dish Input 2, you
need to point you dish 9 degrees to the
east and repeak your dish. Rerun check
switch.
• If the check switch summary screen
shows "110 W" on Dish Input 1, you
need to point you dish 9 degrees to the
west and repeak your dish. Rerun check
switch.
• Make sure skew setting is correct for a
Dish 500 installation at your zip code.
Rerun check switch.
When you run Check Switch, you see
"Twin" identified as a Device or LNBF, but
only odd transponders are detected.

• Cables may not be rated for 2150 MHz. • Make sure cable is rated for 2150 MHz

I guess you guys ran out of ideas. To anyone who may have interest in this thread, I finally got the "fix" for my problem. It seems all I needed was a splitter on the back to go from Sat 1 and Sat 2, to a single cable out to the dish. Such a simple solution after so much headache. Thanks to all who tried to help.

I guess you guys ran out of ideas. To anyone who may have interest in this thread, I finally got the "fix" for my problem. It seems all I needed was a splitter on the back to go from Sat 1 and Sat 2, to a single cable out to the dish. Such a simple solution after so much headache. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Um, I hope you're using a separator not a splitter.

boba,

I know there is always one in every crowd. Thanks for identifying yourself so soon. If I had a manual, I'd read it. Your sarcasm is not appreciated. I was under the assumption this was a place for help, not for flames. But then again, if you are a flamer then by all means, be what you are.

lame.

i went to google and typed - Dish 322 owners manual

2 seconds i had it. 50 possible sites. 1st one in list gave it to me.

many of us are willing those that try to help themselves first.

sheesh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)