33 Timer Limit, No OTA Module, 500GB

And this whole bumping into a timer/event limit is exactly the reason why I don't use the DISH Pass function. I hover around 55 timers and record new shows as they come onto the air. When they are on the "off-season", no issues here.

I had setting timers up down to a science. All of the network shows, which only show once a year, were prioritized high and set with Dish Passes. If multiple network shows needed to be recorded, the dvr would automatically record one from the local HD channel, another from OTA, and so on.

Non-network shows that repeated (Entourage, Stargate Universe, etc..) were prioritized lower so the DVR would record the network show first, then catch the non-network shows at a later time when there was no conflict. These were Dish Passes also, since the various networks (showtime/hbo) will show the same repeated show on different channels. Even though I always had multiple conflicts, I almost never missed getting a show recorded, with no manual intervention.

I recorded all HD, and almost never watched live tv.

I can tell already the 922 is not going to function this flawlessly. Since there is no way to set Dish Passes on the DVR itself, I have a feeling DISH doesn't want you setting Dish Passes at all on the 922. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the ability on DRA to set Dish Passes on 922's.

I may have missed this in reading all the posts, but the predecessor DishPro and ViP DVR's have a button in the Daily Schedule screen: the Show Skipped button. Selecting that shows ALL the events, including skipped ones and will display the real total number of all events in memory. If one selects Hide Skipped, only the events that will record and only that much smaller number of events are displayed. Does the 922 have a similar feature? I use it a lot on my 722 (K's) and this is another little quirk that is making me shy from upgrading to a 922 along with Manual Timers and Dish Passes only via website. I am now rethinking my plant to upgrade to 922 in March. Good Heavens!

I may have missed this in reading all the posts, but the predecessor DishPro and ViP DVR's have a button in the Daily Schedule screen: the Show Skipped button. Selecting that shows ALL the events, including skipped ones and will display the real total number of all events in memory. If one selects Hide Skipped, only the events that will record and only that much smaller number of events are displayed. Does the 922 have a similar feature? I use it a lot on my 722 (K's) and this is another little quirk that is making me shy from upgrading to a 922 along with Manual Timers and Dish Passes only via website. I am now rethinking my plant to upgrade to 922 in March. Good Heavens!
Yes, you can still view all skipped events. The navigation is a bit different, but the functionality is there.

Well, I must say, I'm rather happy with the 922 now. The OTA module arrived on Monday and within 30 minutes I had my OTA stations, with guide data, and was able to finally get all of my timers back the way they were pre-upgrade.

The OTA module being dual tuner is extremely nice, it resolved lots of timer conflicts, being able to record 4 events at a time is just freaking awesome ;)

What happened to the OTA?

Well, I must say, I'm rather happy with the 922 now. The OTA module arrived on Monday and within 30 minutes I had my OTA stations, with guide data, and was able to finally get all of my timers back the way they were pre-upgrade.

The OTA module being dual tuner is extremely nice, it resolved lots of timer conflicts, being able to record 4 events at a time is just freaking awesome ;)

I just had the 922 installed yesterday replacing my 722. I too was dismayed the there was no OTA.
Tech support says it will not work, sales says I have to buy the $50 OTA.

How did you get dish to provide you the OTA?
Easy setup?

Thanks
Gary

I just had the 922 installed yesterday replacing my 722. I too was dismayed the there was no OTA.
Tech support says it will not work, sales says I have to buy the $50 OTA.

How did you get dish to provide you the OTA?
Easy setup?

Thanks
Gary

I told them to either a) send my old dvr back and cancel the upgrade, or b) send me the OTA module at no cost, or c) cancel my service completely if they couldn't do option a or b. This was after hours of working with them on multiple problems and I was so fed up I was ready to ditch dish completely, they are acting a little too much like comcast for my taste. I wouldn't have been so pissed if the service rep I asked before upgrading told me the dvr would function just like my existing 722 where OTA was concerned. If not that would have been a deal breaker for me. Thankfully they did the right thing...

As far as easy setup. Remove two screws, pop the module in, go into setup of local channels, within 15 minutes or so it was working perfectly, guide data and all. As an added bonus, the OTA module has two channels (via the single rabbit ears), so now I can record 2 OTA simultaneously, or 4 total.

It was a major hassle, however, getting all of the recording events set back up like I had them before. The timer events are still buggy as hell, can't do dishpass except online, every timer done online turns on protection, can't edit the channel on existing timers via the dvr interface, and so on. I complained about all of that to dish customer service, never heard back from them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts