36" dish for directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim "Spot" Beam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Southern Ohio
Currently have the 3 lnb, spare 36" dish, and snow beyond belief.

Can I slap the 3 lnb on the larger dish to avoid snow/rain fade?

OR...

Should I just go read a book?

IMHO, if the snow is going to build up on the dish or LNB's it's still going to do it with a larger dish. What I'd recommend instead is a dish heater that you can turn on to melt the stuff off.

If you can see the dish any chance you can get a hose out and shoot water up there to clear it off? That's what I used to do before I put the dish on a ground mount.

About to say, why not take preemptive measures during late summer/early fall and employ some covering or water/ice/snow resistant mechanism/coating/device seeing that it must snow there regularly each season?

About to say, why not take preemptive measures during late summer/early fall and employ some covering or water/ice/snow resistant mechanism/coating/device seeing that it must snow there regularly each season?

Problem here is that no one has been able to find a product thatb will work consistantly, there have been a wide number of products tried and none have worked everytime.
I personally have thought about the dish heaters and think that would be the only real way to go. Only trouble with that is, it goes on with a thermostat type device and I would rather it be on a switch that I can turn on and off when I need it, iinstead of it going on and staying on when it's under 30* or whatever temp it is set at.

Jimbo

What about a snow cover; my in-laws in STL use one without fail.

I could try one, not sure what the covers cost anymore, I would need a 3 lnb and a 5 lnb one.
I should look around and see if I can find them, last time I checked, the 5 lnb was not available.

Jimbo

Yep since the 5LNB is relatively new, covers have yet to catch up, I read many users are using a trash bag method in the interim. You could always call one of them and inquire directly about one for the 5LNB dish. Help facilitate a new , needed item for your snow covered buddies. http://www.montanasatellite.com/satellite_dish_covers.htm

Ahh, a quick search says the above company is already selling them; both the original and SlimLine.

Don't they make an oversized dish for Alaska? I thought I saw on in some supplier's catalog recently.

Yeah just you a cover.

i go with the flame thrower idea. make some money going house to house, "may I torch your dish for you?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)