38 switch checks, then aquiring signal (5 bars)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JayStil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Is there some technical reason a DISH 211k with a plane jane legacy single focus dish needs to do this every time it's pointed at a different location?

I've got a Winegard crank up dish on the roof of my camper. It's pretty easy for me to figure out the settings for 72.7 and 61.5 since I usually am at only a few different places. I can quickly switch the dish back and forth between the locations. What I can't quickly switch is the DISH 211k. EVERY time it needs to do a 'check switch (38 count) followed by the "aquiring signal" screen counting up to 5 bars. It's a good 20 minutes before the receiver is ready to use, and that's if I cancel out the guide download it wants to do after the signal check.

Seems like there should be a way for the receiver to remember it's previous configuration and try that before going through 15 minutes of switch checks ( suggestion for any DISH software engineers that may be reading this thread. A real time signal strength pointing screen that doesn't take over 5 seconds to respond to dish movement would also be a plus. :D )

I usually bring a D500 on a tripod so I don't have to deal with this. But that would be unnecessary if it was possible to change satellite locations in a couple of minutes.

Thanks for letting me vent.

The receiver has to know what satellites it is actually seeing for one reason to present an accurate guide. It has no way to "remember" a satellite but know it isn't actually being used. I would guess if it did keep channels in the guide that were not actually there, you would be asking for a crash/reboot.

Is there some technical reason a DISH 211k with a plane jane legacy single focus dish needs to do this every time it's pointed at a different location?

I've got a Winegard crank up dish on the roof of my camper. It's pretty easy for me to figure out the settings for 72.7 and 61.5 since I usually am at only a few different places. I can quickly switch the dish back and forth between the locations. What I can't quickly switch is the DISH 211k. EVERY time it needs to do a 'check switch (38 count) followed by the "aquiring signal" screen counting up to 5 bars. It's a good 20 minutes before the receiver is ready to use, and that's if I cancel out the guide download it wants to do after the signal check.

Seems like there should be a way for the receiver to remember it's previous configuration and try that before going through 15 minutes of switch checks ( suggestion for any DISH software engineers that may be reading this thread. A real time signal strength pointing screen that doesn't take over 5 seconds to respond to dish movement would also be a plus. :D )

I usually bring a D500 on a tripod so I don't have to deal with this. But that would be unnecessary if it was possible to change satellite locations in a couple of minutes.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Yes. Each time the dish is moved or for any reason you require check switch, the legacy LNB goes through 38 steps.

I got rid of legacy lnbs a very long time ago and went with dishpro plus and now using the eastern arc lnb with a 1000.4 sat dish. Main reason why I did was the 38 switch checks thing with legacy.

I got rid of legacy lnbs a very long time ago and went with dishpro plus and now using the eastern arc lnb with a 1000.4 sat dish. Main reason why I did was the 38 switch checks thing with legacy.

So that begs the question, can I just replace the lnb with a DPP single? And if so, how many steps does that get the check switch down to?

Not to be pedantic or anything, but it's a DP single, not a DPP single (or dual). ;)

switch to newer lnb's.

I had a situation once where I kept getting the 38 checks with a dish1000.2. Ended up being a slice in one of the coax cables up on the roof. Once i replaced it, it went to 4 checks (normal for 1000.2).

My pleasure. A DP LNB sends the entire satellite data stream down the wire through bandstacking. No need to switch from left to right circular polarization; it's all there all the time.

The only problem maybe the Winegard mount won't accept the "D" tube that dish uses.

There was a thread here that I lost track of where somebody modified the Winegard mount to accept a D500. I might be better off going that route, especially if I might have to modify the lnb tube anyway.

There was a thread here that I lost track of where somebody modified the Winegard mount to accept a D500. I might be better off going that route, especially if I might have to modify the lnb tube anyway.
Are you saying they mounted a dish 500 pan on the Winegard collapsable base and used the DP or DPP Twin?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)